Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvredc5 View Post
This is the first I’ve seen others talking about stress cracks but sure concerns me. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see any legitimate reason for stress cracks like these to ever happen unless there is too much flexing taking place with the chassis. If the chassis is flexing enough to cause the original crack any repairs would seem to be only a temporary fix as the flexing will continue and cause cracking again. What has anyone done to actually correct why the cracking has happened?
From what I have gathered reading about this issue from various MH owners, is that there are two basic reasons for the cracking. The first, and most common, is water intrusion around the slide opening which can cause separation of the fiberglass from the underlying luan. Continued flexing, which is normal and expected when a chassis is traveling, leveling, or a slide moving outward, can cause the separated fiberglass to crack. Re-bonding the skin and repairing the leak can resolve that issue.

Second, is a structural failure in the framing. That extreme flex caused by a moving structural member will cause the cracking and can only be fixed by repair of the frame itself.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
PKI

A thought. We are a long way from Red Bay too. However, the area around Red Bay is an interesting place to visit and experience. Lots of sites to see along the way too. Great people to meet when you get there. So, maybe, consider it a road trip and not a trip for a repair. Folks drop in on Red Bay coming and going from snow bird destinations. Suspect same is true for visits across the country.

The fly in this logic is time. If you have it, it's an option. If you do not, you need money to spend to get back and forth. Sympathy for the issue. Encouragement offered for you to enjoy the coach while you can.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #17
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I will only add this one caution and the disclaimer that I do not know any detail about how Tiffin constructs the coach.

The location and extent of your cracking looks to be at the spot where framing of the structure is joined together and the split is caused by movement of frame members. This happens when a weld fails. The proper repair requires removal of the outer skin to expose the framing, rewelding and possibly adding strengthening gussets, replacement of the skin, and finally paint.

Again, I am not saying this is the cause of your cracking, but it is consistent with a broken frame weld that has happened on other coaches. I offer this only to provide information and allow you, if you wish, to ask Tiffin or anyone else you choose to do the repair, if such a cause is possible and if so, how would it be addressed.

Here is a thread dealing with the same cracking but on a different brand coach. Good pictures of situation and of repair.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/cra...ll-546877.html

I have seen photos of where Tiffin removed the entire wall in 1 case. Bruce Deaton was mentioned for repair. I have used Bruce for 10 years and is shop is the only place I would take mine if Tiffin did not cover it, I think Tiffin will repair yours for free
Old 11-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #18

Crack repair

He knows we are a few states away from manufacturer repair so he said we can find a competent company and he will instruct how they do the repair. It sounds like the crack is cut a little bigger, with straight edges then a flexible piece is put in between the crack sides and painted. This way it allows for future flexing. I am sure a weld broke but fixing that that would involve more than necessary to repair where it is. Also, I doubt $1000 isn't enough for that kind of work. I am happy that they are doing this since our RV is over 8 years old.
Habaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amazes me how similar this stress crack location is to the ones on early airliners with square windows which of course required square holes in the fuselage. Their cure was radiuses on each corner of the window. How tight a radius could be effective on this square opening in a motor coach? If at all.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #20

Stress Crack's

Are these cracks on all models or more prevalent on certain models of Tiffin's

Duffy
rbuttolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuttolph View Post
Are these cracks on all models or more prevalent on certain models of Tiffin's

Duffy
The only Tiffin coaches I am aware of that have had this happen are on the Bus, Phaeton and Red's and it does not seem to be a lot of them.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
The only Tiffin coaches I am aware of that have had this happen are on the Bus, Phaeton and Red's and it does not seem to be a lot of them.
Actually the Zephyr had an issue too. At least a 2013 that I was looking at. When I called the Service Department, they said if I decided to purchase it, bring it in and they would repair it under warranty. They have a 10 year structural warranty. Pretty impressive.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #23

had a stress crack on my 04 Winnebago and they replaced the side wall and strengthen up the frame from flexing. No cost even tho 5 yrs old . Its not just patch the crack .
vectra 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #24

We are looking to purchase from a private party a 2018 Allegro Open Road 36UA with a stress crack on passenger side bedroom slide, currently covered with duct tape. Prior to making an offer and getting it inspected (it looks to be in excellent shape otherwise), I reached out to Don Boyd @ Tiffin to confirm the fix would be under warranty- he stated the 10 year structure warranty was for the original owner only. This seems to contradict what others have experienced here. Are there any other avenues I can look into? TIA
LisaLu2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey15 View Post
We have just returned to Florida from Red Bay. We also developed a stress crack in our 2014 Bus while in Red Bay. We immediately went to the Service Center to get on the list to get it repaired but was told it was going to be a 1 1/2 week wait to get into a bay. It did not fit our time frame and we just could not wait. We went to Bruce Deaton and he did a very good repair for us. Ours was at the corner above the outside TV. So any good body shop could do the repair for you. Good luck!
Did Tiffin reimburse you?

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLu2022 View Post
We are looking to purchase from a private party a 2018 Allegro Open Road 36UA with a stress crack on passenger side bedroom slide, currently covered with duct tape. Prior to making an offer and getting it inspected (it looks to be in excellent shape otherwise), I reached out to Don Boyd @ Tiffin to confirm the fix would be under warranty- he stated the 10 year structure warranty was for the original owner only. This seems to contradict what others have experienced here. Are there any other avenues I can look into? TIA

If the party you are buying from is the original owner would they be willing to get it fixed??? You could make your offer contingent on it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Take a couple of photos and contact body shops to get an estimate then use that in negotiation. The crack repair normally consists of covering it with a piece of body molding then painting to match so it's not a major deal.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #28

Since you live in Colorado you might want to use this place:
https://www.donsbodyshopandrv.com/

We've had work done there and it was very good. They do body work on lots of RVs and seem willing to do warranty repairs based on a conversation I overheard while I was there.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, ride