Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 01:08 AM   #1

Stress crack on the ride home from purchase!

We are just heartbroken after a 4 mile drive home and discovery of a 20 inch fiberglass stress crack in our beautiful "new" tiffin. Its in the usual place: Drivers side, rear slide, from window corner diagonally to the bottom.
So... Can I use flex seal rubber to seal it and still keep it flexible? I suspect if its fixed with fiberglass it will break again. So disappointed....we researched for a year, trying to buy the best for our short supply (lol) of dollars. It only has 13k miles on it. But its lived in Colorado its whole life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16890.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	344600  
Habaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 01:49 AM   #2

My opinion is to have the crack professionally repaired, preferably at the factory. The crack will continue to worsen otherwise, I suspect. I would cover it with a strip of Eternabond sealing tape to prevent water intrusion until time to have it repaired.

DO NOT use Flex-Seal, it contains petroleum byproducts which may damage the filon siding.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:01 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Call Tiffin customer service or email don.boyd@tiffinmotorhomes.com with photos of the crack. They have been covering repairs or at least partially covering the cost of repairs for these types of cracks.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:12 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have just returned to Florida from Red Bay. We also developed a stress crack in our 2014 Bus while in Red Bay. We immediately went to the Service Center to get on the list to get it repaired but was told it was going to be a 1 1/2 week wait to get into a bay. It did not fit our time frame and we just could not wait. We went to Bruce Deaton and he did a very good repair for us. Ours was at the corner above the outside TV. So any good body shop could do the repair for you. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9408.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	344610  
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2019 RED had a stress crack when we bought it last year. The seller had confirmed that the repair was covered under Tiffin's warranty. We had the repair done in Red Bay this past June - we did not want to trust this repair to a third party - Tiffin did an excellent job under warranty. We also had other non-body-work repairs done and the work was both excellent and much less expensive than expected.

Here's a brief description of our experience in Red Bay:
We stopped in Red Bay on our way from Austin to Boston in late May for this and other repairs. We arrived in Red Bay on May 25 and left on June 14.

We knew there would be a wait to get into the mechanical repair bay and then a second wait to get into the paint shop, so we took side trips to Nashville and Memphis during the waiting periods. All tolled, we waited ten days (including Memorial Day weekend) to get into the mechanical repair bay and six days (including one weekend) for the paint shop.

Tiffin sends a spreadsheet each morning with an ordered waiting list, so you can see your progression to the top of the list. The wait was okay because we are retired, so no time pressure, and the fun side trips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201019_104706.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	344620   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201019_104713.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	344621  

KenTep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #6

I will only add this one caution and the disclaimer that I do not know any detail about how Tiffin constructs the coach.

The location and extent of your cracking looks to be at the spot where framing of the structure is joined together and the split is caused by movement of frame members. This happens when a weld fails. The proper repair requires removal of the outer skin to expose the framing, rewelding and possibly adding strengthening gussets, replacement of the skin, and finally paint.

Again, I am not saying this is the cause of your cracking, but it is consistent with a broken frame weld that has happened on other coaches. I offer this only to provide information and allow you, if you wish, to ask Tiffin or anyone else you choose to do the repair, if such a cause is possible and if so, how would it be addressed.

Here is a thread dealing with the same cracking but on a different brand coach. Good pictures of situation and of repair.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/cra...ll-546877.html
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

Stress crack resolution

Thankyou for the email for Don. He is going to pay 1k towards repair even though its out of warranty. They will instruct a reputable 3rd party how to do the work since the closest is several states away.. If/when we move up ....we will remain with Tiffin. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #8

Hereís the problem with being a long ways from Red Bay. Yes, Tiffin will allow $1000 towards fixing the crack at an authorized repair facility, or no charge at their facility. I started pricing the cost to repair a crack in my area and so far the estimates range from $175 to over $3000. So ÖÖ do I make a 4400 mile round trip to Alabama or do I dig deeper into my pocket, it live with this for a while?
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #9

Stress cracks not always but generally are caused from water intrusion from my previous conversations with Country Coach and some dealers. This is usually not always but more than a simple patch and paint.
Good luck and hope your repairs are reasonably easy fixes.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #10

This is the first I’ve seen others talking about stress cracks but sure concerns me. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see any legitimate reason for stress cracks like these to ever happen unless there is too much flexing taking place with the chassis. If the chassis is flexing enough to cause the original crack any repairs would seem to be only a temporary fix as the flexing will continue and cause cracking again. What has anyone done to actually correct why the cracking has happened?
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was looking at a Zephyr that had exactly the same issue. The coach fell within the 10 year structural warranty. After talking to someone in service, they said they have tried grinding it out and filling it but usually cracks again. Their recommended repair was to seal the crack so no water can get in, then covering the spot with a piece of trim painted to match. Sealed and out of site and out of mind. When I talked to them, they said it would have been fully covered cost wise.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The bedroom slide crack is a well known issue on many Tiffins. I experienced it on my 2009 Tiffin Phaeton.

The repair was covered under warranty at a Tiffin authorized service facility in California.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SlideCrack 01.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	345923   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideCrack 02.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	345924  

Name:	SlideCrack 04.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	345925   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideCrack 06.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	345926  

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaden View Post
We are just heartbroken after a 4 mile drive home and discovery of a 20 inch fiberglass stress crack in our beautiful "new" tiffin. Its in the usual place: Drivers side, rear slide, from window corner diagonally to the bottom.
So... Can I use flex seal rubber to seal it and still keep it flexible? I suspect if its fixed with fiberglass it will break again. So disappointed....we researched for a year, trying to buy the best for our short supply (lol) of dollars. It only has 13k miles on it. But its lived in Colorado its whole life.
I emailed Don Boyd @Tiffin.....they are going to pay to have it fixed (its a 2013). What a quality company!
Old 10-13-2021, 06:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaden View Post
I emailed Don Boyd @Tiffin.....they are going to pay to have it fixed (its a 2013). What a quality company!
Iím curious - was the offer a cash amount of $1K, or to come to Red Bay for the repair?? Since I have the same problem Iím interested in your resolution.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, ride