Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Stupidity

Make sure you retract awing before leaving rv Park.left this morning from tunic ms (gaming joint) . Left in out a tree found it. Hope ins will pay don’t know if they will for stupid.
bblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

Three things to always make sure: awning, tv antenna and steps. I use a check off sheet to make sure, in the day I worked on RV's and those were in the most repairs /replacement
Old 11-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Saw a BIG sign while leaving a campground near Clear Lake Iowa ..
IS ?
1) TV/Satellite antenna DOWN & STORED
2)ALL slides, Awnings & Steps IN
3)Toilet seat & Cooktop lids DOWN
4)ALL Towed hooked up and PARKING BRAKE RELEASED
5)ALL GALLEY LIDS/DRAWERS & REFRIGERATOR DOORS SECURED
6)Pets IN
7)Wife IN & SEATED
8) You did remember to disconnect the electric/water & sewer didn't you....!

(And YES I did get out and recheck everything that was on the sign)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #4

yes, I came close one time but caught it just in time. A different perspective on this is that a few years ago I was researching new insurance plans and was surprised that some of the companies do not cover awning damage. Just a heads up.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

I have a habit of doing a walk around before I start the coach and just before I get in and drive. I always check the fluids and kick the tires before starting and even check all lights before getting underway. This is a habit I use from driving rigs for over 40 years. You would be amazed how many times just looking at your tires before you drive you will find a problem before it becomes ONE.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #6

Lived full time in an RV park for a few years, at the exit was a big bold sign reminding people to make sure antenna was down, steps retracted, etc. About 200 yards down the exit road was a Huge Oak tree that overhung the road, during busy season I would usually see at least 1-2 antennas a week laying beside the road. I convinced the park owner to put a sign on the road right before the tree warning people they would lose their antenna at the tree if it was up. Guess people don’t pay attention to or read signs, still found 1-2 antennas a week.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't feel like The Lone Ranger!

I forgot to retract the awning before heading out of a campground two years ago (first time using it on a trip). Thankfully, we only got two campsites away from ours when a camper flagged me down to tell me about the awning. No damage, just embarrassment.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yup...been there-done it. We noticed it only after being snagged on a tree.
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

Your insurance is there to protect you against yourself when you have a "stupid" moment, otherwise it wouldn't pay if an accident was your fault. But as others have mentioned, it may exclude your awning anyway, and if you have a $1k deductible it may not even be worth getting the insurance company involved unless it tore up the wall of the coach as well.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a tow car. After making a stop for fuel, eats or whatever I check the coach and also the tow car connections before getting underway. On one occasion some helpful person took the lock pins from our tow arm. Had I not had a spare set and not checked we would have successfully left but likely encountered a disconnect along the way. Some people do stupid things because they think it funny.
imUrlaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #11

There's a used awning, probably connected to a tree branch, just south of the border in Mexico. Don't ask me how I know about this.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

We had a crank up antenna on our MH. Almost drove off with it up one time. Solution was to place a hair clip on the antenna handle. Before cranking up the antenna, move the large hair clip to the steering wheel as a reminder. If you are already buckled in just hand the clip to your co-pilot so she can crank down the antenna before a tree runs out of the forest and damages your MH. (Heard that story at a campfire, I wasn't there but I swore it happened to him)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
You are not the first, will not be the last. Hope you covered the loss at the tables!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #14

Bought a bunch of "slap bracelets" that kids like with no printing on them. Used a permanent marker to label them for things that need to be done before pulling out of the camp site. Awnings, antenna, sat. dish, power cord, etc. I put them on the steering wheel (when I remember) and take them off just before we leave. It is a great way of keeping track, but of course, you do have to use them.