Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Surge Guard Clicking noise

Hi all, maybe a dumb question. I plugged into my house (120 volt only) to maintain my batteries and the surge guard made an audible click, hadn’t noticed it before, is this normal?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don’t know about yours but our Progressive EMS does make a clunking noise when it gets thru checking the incoming current and passes it thru to the transfer switch that makes another clunk.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

One loud clunk noise is normal. Repeated clicking or multiple clunking noises is not normal and usually indicates an imminent transfer switch failure.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I get one clunk when the Progressive kicks in and another one when the transfer switch engages about 5 seconds later.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

Thanks all, I had a generator problem so i was a little nervous. Called Tiffin as well, like you said one click is normal. Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What you are calling a Surge Guard is actually your Transfer Switch. And yes, your transfer switch will go click or clunk when it switches your incoming power from generator (default) to shore power. Most of us will suggest you add a Progressive EMS system to your incoming power line to protect your coach from a number of common electrical faults.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
What you are calling a Surge Guard is actually your Transfer Switch.
Don't be so sure about that. There is a device called a Surge Guard, it's a direct competitor to the Progressive Industries surge protection devices.
My coach has one (and it also has a transfer switch), it makes one loud click/clunk when it allows power to flow through to the RV.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If your Surge Guard is like mine, then it has a 128 second delay before it allows power to enter your RV. When the 128 second delay is complete, there is a noticeable click and then the transfer switch has a click as well.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...0115-C-DSG.pdf
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #9

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I called it a surge guard because it is labeled Surge Guard/Transfer Switch even though I was told it doesn’t really function as a surge guard. I do have a Progressive EMS for the campgrounds, just didn’t use it for the 20 AMP connection at my house. I had never noticed the clunk/click before so I figured who better to ask than the folks on this forum! Thanks again and safe travels!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #10

Maybe it would help if you post the model number, or at least a photo of the device in question. Surge-Guard is a brand which makes EMS systems, some are built into transfer switches, if this is what you have then your Progressive Industries unit may be redundant
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, surge guard