Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Question Surge protector

Have A 2015 32SA Open Road it has a Black Box at the end of the 50 Amp power cord told it is just a neutral protector, not a surge guard.
Is this correct?
Should I add a search protector?
If so hardwired or portable?
Recommendations ?
Tabearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The SurgeGuard transfer switch that comes from the factory does have some surge protection, but it does not have over/under voltage protection. As much or more damage can be done by low voltage conditions. I added a Progressive Industries HW-50C power system in front of it for the over and under voltage protection as well as a readout of amperage draw on each leg. They are an added level of protection for the appliances and electronics in these complicated beasts.

It's a fairly easy install and below is how mine worked out. The Progressive Industries unit carries a lifetime warranty. I prefer the hardwired since there is nothing extra to set up when hooking up to a pedestal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI-HW50C.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	107543  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another advantage of the hard wired Surge Protectors is that they do not grow legs and walk off when you go to the show/Store/Attraction/Dinner/whatever like portables can.

There are "Surge guards" (really spike supressors) and SURGE GUARDS

The latter have some kind of information display Alpha/Numeric either Multi-Segment LED or LCD displays (LCD on the Progressive Industries) If your "protector" does not have an ALpha-Numeric display then it is a spike supressor and will not protect against high/low voltage or frequency or anything else.

Another advantage of the Real Deal (Progressive Industries or even the "Surge Guard" (tm) brand from Camping world) is the time in timer.. On the PI unit you can select 15 seconds or about 2.5 minutes

On the TRC "Surge Guard" (tm) it's just shy of 3 mintues

This lets your Air Conditioner compressor recover when power "Blinks" as it has done like 5 times since I parked here. Very handy. Very Very handy. PI HW-50C around 320 + install.. Air Conditioner around 1,000 installed.. You choose.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

I don't know which model transfer switch Tiffin uses on the Open Road but the one on my Phaeton does have low voltage protection. It is actually more sensitive to low voltage than my PI. Recently at the Bad Lands the transfer a witch was dumping before the PI at 106 volts.
However, the stock system does not do all of the tests that the PI does to ensure you have clean power. In the long run its cheap insurance if you get a good one like Progressive Industries. The cheaper ones probably don't do any more than what you already have.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:41 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with the previous posts. I choose the "portable" 50 amp PI unit for my new 2015 32CA last year. I like being able to check out the quality of the power before hooking up the coach itself and then moving to a new site if needed. Also, it can easily be sent back (for an unlikely warranty issue) or go to a new coach if we trade up at at some time. No re-wiring required.

But I was also concerned about theft. Existing locking devices seemed a bit lame. Here is a file describing how I protected the the 30 am Surge Guard I had for my previous coach using a large "S" hook. Using a bench vice, open up one end of the hook and then carefully squeeze it closed around the wire. The same approach works for my current PI box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Surge Guard Lock.pdf (177.4 KB, 83 views)
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #6
Community Administrator

I used another device to check the power at the pole and installed the portable PI in the basement. That solved the theft potential and need to connect another item. I didn't have room inside to install the hard wired version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442919575.871554.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	107601

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliedo02 View Post
I agree with the previous posts. I choose the "portable" 50 amp PI unit for my new 2015 32CA last year. I like being able to check out the quality of the power before hooking up the coach itself and then moving to a new site if needed. Also, it can easily be sent back (for an unlikely warranty issue) or go to a new coach if we trade up at at some time. No re-wiring required.

But I was also concerned about theft. Existing locking devices seemed a bit lame. Here is a file describing how I protected the the 30 am Surge Guard I had for my previous coach using a large "S" hook. Using a bench vice, open up one end of the hook and then carefully squeeze it closed around the wire. The same approach works for my current PI box.
I was looking at the wired in model....but what you posted makes total sense to me....thanks.....
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote