RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Surge Protector

Just bought a 2018 33AA last week. Dealer suggested I buy a SurgeGuard portable surge protector in addition to the one installed in coach.
Is this ok? Or is the one that's built in good enough...?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

Bet he 'sells them'------

IF your factory item is an EMS it does well handling overloading situations.....too many amp draw for available power source

A Surge Protector/EMS does more
Checks for correct voltage
Trips power if Hi/Lo Voltage occurs
Checks for Reverse Polarity
Checks for Neutral
Checks for Ground
PLUS provides SURGE Protection

If you decide to buy one go with Progessive Industries

Better made, servicable, great tech support and good warranty that they stand behind
Surge Guard---TRC..........not so good

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
YEs it is more that a surge protector. Go with a Progressive EMS system. It has saved our 2018 RED 37PA twice so far.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

Hughes 'Watch Dog' is now a player.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
Just bought a 2018 33AA last week. Dealer suggested I buy a SurgeGuard portable surge protector in addition to the one installed in coach.
What is installed in the coach? Do you have a name and model #?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post

Are you sure the built in is a surge protector and not just a transfer switch. Mine said “Surge Guard “ on the cover but it was just the name of the company that made the transfer switch with no surge protection. I ended up adding a Progressive Industries ems surge protector.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
One of the first things I purchased when I started RVing years ago was a Progressive EMS. The electronics on a MH can be very expensive to replace. Mine has save the coach several times. If you get one buy the one that is hardwired. It makes it simple to hook up and there's no chance of it "walking off."
Old 01-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Plus on the hard wired ones (progressive ems systems) you can get a remote monitor that we mounted inside next to the inverter monitor, so we can see what is going on at any time,
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Hughes 'Watch Dog' is now a player.
I just ordered the portable Watch Dog unit. The price was good, it has blue tooth connect to an app on your phone for monitoring, and the surge module can be ordered and replaced for only $30. Surge protectors degrade over time and should be replaced every few years, or if they take a big hit may need to be replaced the day after you buy it. Being able to spend just $30 to have a fresh unit was a big factor in my decision.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:35 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunt View Post
I just ordered the portable Watch Dog unit. The price was good, it has blue tooth connect to an app on your phone for monitoring, and the surge module can be ordered and replaced for only $30. Surge protectors degrade over time and should be replaced every few years, or if they take a big hit may need to be replaced the day after you buy it. Being able to spend just $30 to have a fresh unit was a big factor in my decision.
I agree about the watchdog
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your Tiffin has a minimum surge protection in the transfer switch but does not protect you against the rest of the major problems at campgrounds. Get a Progressive EMS, reliable and has a good warrantee. If you have room use the hardwired device.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

My Allegro RED 33AA has a combo ATS/Surge Guard installed, Surge Guard model 41260 which provides the following functions:

-Transfers to generator power automatically when energized after 30 second delay (generator mode). When both shore and generator power are available, generator dominates after a 30 second delay. Once generator shuts down, shore power activates after 3 second delay.
-Limited protection from faulty park power
-Provides protection against:
-Power surges
-Open neutral
-Reverse polarity
-Multi-mode surge suppression
-50A, FLA mechanical interlocking contactors
-UL approved – UL 1008 full transfer switch rating
-UL/CUL listed

I also have a Surge Guard portable 50A surge protector which provides several additional functions. The most common pedestal problem I have run into over the years has been low voltage which the Model 34750 detects and shuts down for. I will continue to use the portable surge guard in addition to the built-in "power protection".

On a separate note, my previous brand "W" DP's had what I call an EMS that monitored incoming AC power and when connected to something less than a 50A source (like 30A) would display amps being drawn and if it came close to 30A it would shut down an AC unit or electric water heater to avoid tripping the pedestal circuit breaker. The RED 33AA does not appear to have any such device even though I did find the operating instructions for a Power Control Systems 50A Central control Panel. Am I missing something or does Tiffin not install an AC power monitoring system on these coaches?

BTW, the picture may appear to be rotated but that is the actual orientation in the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge protector-ATS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	271833  
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #13

A Progressive Industries EMS is always the first thing I put on. I like having the remote monitors by the cord reel while hooking up and then switch it to the inside to check if something happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD291A1C-224B-44DA-B7EE-C0A46AFAF013.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	271867   Click image for larger version

Name:	E1CDB285-01A3-4846-B946-58A5E1AFB13D.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	271868  

BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote