Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Surge protector for Allegro Bus?

Another newbie question. Our 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP has a "Surge Guard RV Power Protection Transfer Switch" in the electrical bay.

I understand that this manages switching power between shore and generator. But does it act as a surge protector as well, and whether or not it does, should I get a pedestal-side surge protector like the popular Hughes Autoformers Power Watchdog?

If it doesn't, the obvious answer is yes. If it does, the answer is probably still yes, since more protection is better (and easier to replace if needed). But I thought I'd check with the community wisdom. And recommendations of better options are also welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer switch.png
Views:	80
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	347191  
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It does act as a surge protector, however you are probably safer using one at the pedestal as well. The one that is in the Bus is quite expensive if there is an electrical problem that damages it; the one at the pedestal, while not cheap, is less expensive, more easily replaced, and if something happens to it you can still be on your way using the one in the Bus. I use one on the pedestal for extra protection.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:19 AM   #3

Check out Progressive EMS

We have the Progressive Pedestal Mounted EMS. It not only provides Surge Protection but also provides, both, High and Low Voltage Protection by shutting off power when a event is noted. https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:59 AM   #4

I have the same surge protector transfer switch. I also have the Hughes Watchdog EMS. It provides more protection as stated above for high/low voltage, bad wiring, etc. I had a Progressive hard wired EMS in our last coach. It saved me several times from improper electrical when we plugged into the campground. I like the Hughes because of the Bluetooth transmission of electrical status. I also like that the surge protection circuit is user replaceable whereas the Progressive requires it to be returned to the manufacturer for replacement. What I don’t like about the Hughes, that I didn’t know prior to purchase, is it’s made in China. Had I have know this, I would have gotten another Progressive EMS that I believe is still made in the USA.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, your transfer switch offers some protection but if it gets a surge hit you would lose the switch. Think of an EMS like the Watchdog or the Progressive unit as a first line of protection and offers more like Mevets posted.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all. Power Watchdog ordered!

I like that it'll notify me of issues via Bluetooth, too — at a previous campground the area had a power outage, and we didn't even notice for a while.
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Yes, your transfer switch offers some protection but if it gets a surge hit you would lose the switch. Think of an EMS like the Watchdog or the Progressive unit as a first line of protection and offers more like Mevets posted.
I was able to find that out the hard way! Among other functions, the transfer switch does act as a surge protector. However, it is a one-shot. When it goes it protects the system, but then you have to replace the entire transfer switch. A “good” surge protector used at the pedestal will not only provide that protection, but will also tell you if there are instances of reversed polarity, low or high voltage, bad ground, etc. I believe they will also reset once tripped - but not sure about that feature.

In short, by all means, get one of the better protectors to be used at the pedestal.
Jtschnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes you need more protection. I like the portable Surge Guard over the built in model. If it is damaged on the road I just plug a new one and plug it in. It has truly saved us a number of times.
Coffee Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 on the Watch Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have the same surge protector transfer switch. I also have the Hughes Watchdog EMS. It provides more protection as stated above for high/low voltage, bad wiring, etc. I had a Progressive hard wired EMS in our last coach. It saved me several times from improper electrical when we plugged into the campground. I like the Hughes because of the Bluetooth transmission of electrical status. I also like that the surge protection circuit is user replaceable whereas the Progressive requires it to be returned to the manufacturer for replacement. What I don’t like about the Hughes, that I didn’t know prior to purchase, is it’s made in China. Had I have know this, I would have gotten another Progressive EMS that I believe is still made in the USA.
I use the Hughes and like the protection it offers. It also has a replaceable module, in case the protection "fries" due to a spike.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejus View Post
Thanks all. Power Watchdog ordered!

I like that it'll notify me of issues via Bluetooth, too — at a previous campground the area had a power outage, and we didn't even notice for a while.

I have had a regular Surgard Surge Protector (hardwired) for about 5 years and occasionally it finds power at the pedestal is having an issue and once it found that the pedestal was wired wrong. (at a COE site of all places) Their electrician was over at my site within 10 minutes, went back to an electrical box and fixed it within a half an hour. A believe he said it was a neutral issue.

I only recently heard about that Hughes model with Bluetooth built in and am just looking for an excuse to replace my hardwired SG with one that provides actual information to my phone. I only heard about this surge protector when I attended a seminar on RV Whisperer. Being able to log all that power info to the cloud about whats coming in from the pedestal could be helpful when troubleshooting power issues. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Hughes are definitely the best as you mentioned but the are made in America NOT China. See link below:
https://hughesautoformers.com/about-us/
Scrippslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #12

Hughes Autoformers

We have the Hughes Autoformers PWD50-EPO and it is definitely worth it. Initially, we would get into our site and check the pedestal - this is not the best practice. Now we check the pedestal B4 going into the site. On a trip earlier this year we had low voltage at 3 different campgrounds.

I also like the fact that you can see how many amps an appliance uses.

If you purchase directly from www.hughesautoformers.com, they offer discounts during the year. Use code: FRIEND10 and reference order #22164 for 10% off your order. (moderator: remove if this is not allowed)

Stay safe and check your power source, Joe
HarleyRider7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
You do need another protector.. If that one blows, that's it, it's finished.. It will protect your coach but it's expensive to replace.. I use a Surge Guard.. If that blows, Easy to replace.. I also have the Surge Guard remote unit so I can monitor power usage at the pedestal..
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing to note. I was onboard with wanting the Hughes Power Watchdog. I shopped around and all the advertisements listed a portable unit and showed a picture of the pedestal unit with the plugs and pigtail unit. So I ordered. When it came, it was a hardwired unit. I went back to the order site and sure enough, if you dug deep, the last line of the description said “hard wired”. I went to a number of different companies websites and the all said “portable” and showed a picture of the plug in unit, but if you read deeper, the last line of the description said “hardwired”. I went ahead and installed it and I love it. It’s not hard to wire and I had plenty of room, but if you truly want “portable” make sure you find the right one.

I spend winter in Mexico where power fluctuations can be wild, and only 30 amp service. I do have a sola isd 3000 self regulating voltage transformer and for years have checked the input and output voltage with a VOM but the Bluetooth is really nice. I can see the exact Voltage coming in. I also like the fact it registers the KWH as I pay for metered electricity at my summer seasonal site. I can check my usage against the meter the park uses to bill me.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, allegro bus