Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #1

Tepid instead of hot water

I have a 2000 Allegro Bus with gas and electric water heaters. Is there a thermostat somewhere that I can adjust so that I can get hot water? As the outside temperature drops, my shower is getting colder and colder. Right now, with outside temps dropping to the low 50s, my water temperature is about 85. I fear that when I get to really cold weather, I'll be showering in 40 degree water. Not acceptable.

Any way I can turn up the thermostat? Improve water heating?
OwlBeGoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 AM   #2

Bad News, unfortunately the factory thermostat is not adjustable.

Good News! If it is an Atwood water heater, you can easily replace it with an adjustable model. I used the Atwood 93105 Adjustable Thermostat which I found Amazon Prime for 31 bucks (see tiny url below). All the best.

https://tinyurl.com/ybyfokfh
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #3

From what I understand there isn't any way to adjust the temperature in your hot water heater. What brand is it?

From what I have found, a common reason for this is the bypass valve(s) are partly open allowing cold water to mix with the hot. The only other thing might be the high limit cut-off is bad, cutting off the burner at too low of a temp.

I'd check the bypass valves first.

Do you have a drain plug or a drain valve? If it were me, and it had a drain valve, I'd get the water heater up to temp, turn it off, and with no pressure on the system (pump/city water off) crack a hot water faucet momentarily to relieve pressure, then carefully open the tank drain valve enough to see how hot the water is. This would tell me if the water in the tank was actually up to temp, because if it is, and your bypass valves are closed, one could be leaking cold water past a valve.

If you only have a drain plug, you could do the same by carefully lifting the pressure relief valve but be aware that sometimes older PRFs won't fully re-seat and can drip afterword. When they do sometimes opening and closing them a few times works, and sometimes it doesn't at which point the valve should be replaced. You may need pump pressure on to get anything off the pressure relief valve since they sit near the top of the tank.

Please be careful either way and assume the water coming out will be very hot.

If you find the water isn't hot after the burner shuts off, I'd suspect the high limit switch. They are usually two round side by side devices with a pair of wires going to each round switch and can be located behind a cover somewhere near the control board. Google Atwood or Suburban hot water heater hi limit switches and you'll see what they look like. They aren't expensive.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:31 AM   #4

Make sure the bay shower valves are not open thus allowing cold water to mix with the hot water. Hope it is that simple.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #5

I believe astrnmrtom nailed it, my blending valve (bypass valve) located in the back of the water heater got gummed up and the replacement fixed the cool water.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

I think you have been given excellent options. The most common cause is the bypass valve stuck partially open or if you have an outside shower make sure that it is turned off at the hot and cold valves not just at the end of the hose. Either condition causes the hot and cold to mix.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #7

Thank you for the excellent suggestions! I'll be exploring my options, and I'll post the results in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #8

Problem solved!

Thank you to all who replied to my request.
I took the MH in to the shop, expecting to replace the valve. The problem was that I didn't know where the valve was! The service center pulled up the false bottom below my bathroom sink, and there it was, and it had been opened prior to my purchase of the MH. We closed it, and I now have HOT WATER!
It was that simple.

Thank you again. Al

Tags
water