Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 12:29 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Testing DEF sensor workaround

I know these instructions have already been posted but I absolutely cannot find them again. There are literally thousands of comments on the DEF threads, and neither Google or iRV2 search engines are showing results about how to test the DEF sensor workaround once it has been built. If someone could point me in that direction with a link to the instructions, or the instructions themselves, I would greatly appreciate it. Same thing for what to do if you actually have a failure and have to use your box, I know there are a series of steps involving turning the ignition on and off several times for set periods in order to clear the codes, but again, I can't find them. I don't want to get into any discussion about legality or anything like that. I just need to know how to test my box and how to use it in an emergency. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 12:57 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm building a DEF simulator for my Cummins ISB 6.7 on a 2020 Tiffin 33AA. I have not tested it yet. I was told that the ScanGauge D can be used to clear some of the codes. Looking forward to a detailed response on this question.

https://www.scangauge.com/shop/scangauge-d/

I know that someone has used the simulator on a 2018 33AA, so I'm pretty sure it will work on mine. A tested unit would make me feel a little better.

Regards, Jerry
Old 10-26-2021, 06:18 AM   #3

Any idea what years this works on? I know the 2017 and newer have more issues, up I am curious if this would work on earlier (2015) ISL or ISC configurations.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
1) Turn off coach
2) unplug DEF head sensor
3) plug in simulator
4) start coach
5) engage high idle (2 of the three codes should clear almost right away, DEF gauge should read 75%)
6) after 5 minutes, shut off coach
7) restart coach
8) repeat 4-7 until 3rd code clears (should take 3 or so cycles).

No need for code scanner.

Hope this helps!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
I know these instructions have already been posted but I absolutely cannot find them again. There are literally thousands of comments on the DEF threads, and neither Google or iRV2 search engines are showing results about how to test the DEF sensor workaround once it has been built. If someone could point me in that direction with a link to the instructions, or the instructions themselves, I would greatly appreciate it. Same thing for what to do if you actually have a failure and have to use your box, I know there are a series of steps involving turning the ignition on and off several times for set periods in order to clear the codes, but again, I can't find them. I don't want to get into any discussion about legality or anything like that. I just need to know how to test my box and how to use it in an emergency. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Helen, I can tell you how I tested mine. Of course I know nothing about your engine and how to test yours, but this is how I did it. I have a Powerglide chassis with a Cummins ISB6.7 engine. My engine was off and ignition turned to the completely off position. I found the wires exiting my DEF tank that come from the current sensor on my rig. I unplugged that. I plugged in my newly built DSS. I started the engine. No codes came on. My DEF tank needle moved to 3/4 tank as expected. THE DSS had some LED's that lit up as expected. I tie wrapped the DSS to secure it and then drove it around a bit to continue verifying all is well. All was well. I returned to my storage unit and turned the ignition switch to the completely off position. I unplugged the DSS and plugged the original DEF sensor back in. The remainder I write here is what should have happened, but I had a hiccup that I caused that I don't expect you to experience. To avoid confusion I will explain the hiccup at the very end. Once I plugged the original sensor back in, I started the rig and the DEF tank level gage went back to true level and no codes were present. I stored the DSS in a nice comfy spot in my rig hoping to never have to use it again.

Now to the issue I had. When I initially unplugged the stock sensor, the plug fell apart. It didn't break. It all snapped back together, but unfortunately there was a little rubber grommet piece I misplaced so when I finished the test and plugged the original sensor back in, it failed to make contact. So when I started the rig, the dreaded codes came on. I quickly figured out what had happened and corrected it, and all of the codes immediately cleared except MIL. I later learned this is normal (MIL doesn't clear immediately). I PM'd one of the developers on how to clear the MIL code and he walked me through it. I believe I am the only one this happened to. If for some reason this happens to you, here is how he instructed me to clear the code. Again, I'm not sure if your engine is the same as mine. ".....start the engine and let it idle for 5 1/2 minutes then turn it off. Wait 30 seconds and repeat 2 more times (3 cycles total). On the 4th key-on it should be gone. Remember to always allow 20-30 seconds after you turn the key to “on” before cranking to give all the sensors time to “check in” with the ECM."
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you so much for this information! Very helpful, including the problem you encountered. I really appreciate it!
Old 10-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you so much! Will print this out and keep in safe place. I really appreciate your help.

Tags
test