Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That dang dog house

Hello

I am just getting used to our new to us 2012 Allegro Open Road 35QBA.

I want to add some sound insulation under the dog house. I have removed 7 screws. I cannot find anymore screws to remove.

The dog house cover is still stuck firmly down. I am assuming that there is some silicone or some such thing holding it on there. I did try to pry it up, but did not want to try too hard not knowing what is under there.

What has anyone done to get that cover unstuck please?

Thank you
Keith
keef033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2013 QBA my doghouse has 9 screws and no adhesive of any kind.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have strong magnet, that may help you find the remaining screws.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok thank you. It appears I am missing two of them somewhere. I have found two on the floor. three across the back, and two on the top towards the back.

Where were the screws in your dog house located?

I will try the magnet as well.

Thank you.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
On mine there are 3 across the front. One near each corner and one between those two dead center.

On the left side there is one near the back on the same line the front corner one is on about 1 inch from where the dog house starts up the incline.

Three across the back. They are in a line about 1 inch from where the doghouse meets the back wall.

There are two rather hidden ones on the right side. One is in the bend where the dog house starts to bend to right. The other one is on the flat side piece about 1 inch above the floor. You cannot see it from the front it is at floor level and on the side.

If you can't find them PM me an I will send you a picture.

Keep in mind that mine is a 2013
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to report back...

I was able to lift the dog house off today. Thanks to Dave for sending pics of the locations of the 9 screws that fastened it down.

Mine also had some seal type around the dog box where it sits on the body of the motorhome. It is not silicone or even sticky in itself, but I think over time and with the heat of the engine close by it becomes tacky and adheres to the dog house. Mine seemed to loosen up enough to where I could lift it off after I had driven it around 10 miles. I did have to pry it a little. I found that starting at the back right side corner worked best.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2020, 02:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I just fought with mine today. the screws are hard to find.
there are 7 down and 3 on the horizontal board toward the closet, after the outer trim panel is removed. There is 1 at each corner and 1 in approx. the middle of the front and sides. I rolled the corner of the carpet on the back corner to find the back 2 down. It is a overkill on securing it.
My previous travel Supreme Select had hinges and a couple of tabs to lift it.
I would like to be able to quickly open in case of a fire and get an extinguisher in there. I will see what I can do to make it a quick remove for the future.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #8

On mine I used SS Jeep hood latches.. Worked great..
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwyatt View Post
I just fought with mine today. the screws are hard to find.
there are 7 down and 3 on the horizontal board toward the closet, after the outer trim panel is removed. There is 1 at each corner and 1 in approx. the middle of the front and sides. I rolled the corner of the carpet on the back corner to find the back 2 down. It is a overkill on securing it.
My previous travel Supreme Select had hinges and a couple of tabs to lift it.
I would like to be able to quickly open in case of a fire and get an extinguisher in there. I will see what I can do to make it a quick remove for the future.
The odds of being in a situation where you need/want to get the cover off in record time, should not preclude that you want a good seal to prevent exhaust gasses from coming into the cockpit.
Can you say “Carbon monoxide poisoning”?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

There may be some obnoxious smells there that wouldn't be good to have in the RV, but as long as the manifolds and exhaust aren't leaking there should be no CO. In any case a good seal would be desired.

Our '94 Flair had two "over center" clips on each side toward the rear and hinges on the front with (as well as I remember) automotive seals similar to those on the doors of cars that sealed it very well. It could be opened very quickly.

My thought toward your desired solution would be to look at some other MHs with a similar setup as our Flair to get ideas.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
When you look in the engine area you see the huge 30” fan that blows out to the back through the radiator. There will no fumes with that volume of air exiting when engine running. If that seal is not tight it will suck air from your coach not let fumes in.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
On mine there are 3 across the front. One near each corner and one between those two dead center.

On the left side there is one near the back on the same line the front corner one is on about 1 inch from where the dog house starts up the incline.

Three across the back. They are in a line about 1 inch from where the doghouse meets the back wall.

There are two rather hidden ones on the right side. One is in the bend where the dog house starts to bend to right. The other one is on the flat side piece about 1 inch above the floor. You cannot see it from the front it is at floor level and on the side.

If you can't find them PM me an I will send you a picture.

Keep in mind that mine is a 2013
I have a 2015 Allegro open Rd. I am trying to remove the dog house. I am having trouble finding the screws near the firewall. Does anyone have photos or suggestions?
Robert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing dampening material such as Noico on the top side of the doghouse versus the underside. If installed on the top of the doghouse you would have to redo the carpet but it would save the hassle of trying to get the dog house off. Since it is a dampening material not a sound absorbing material it seems that it would work just as well.
Robert41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog