Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 05:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantd View Post
I told them I was cancelling and send deposit back. Thanks. It was the principle at the end. I am going to wait until market cools. I think it is starting because inventories look like they are starting to edge back. I will say, my dealer had a lot of cancellations after this.
Good decision. It stinks for sure and it's not right but I tend to think these things work out for the best in the end usually. Like I say....you shouldn't be penalized because they can't get your coach built on time. Maybe they shouldn't offer it for sale for x amount of dollars if they know they can't build it. Just feels shady.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 05:47 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure about the first increase. The second increase might be tied to the immediately effective increase in chassis costs. Been following this thread on that topic.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/01-...se-566136.html
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #31

Steel costs are not going to go down in the future so you will not see a roll-back of these increases that Freightliner has applied to their chassis.

Just as cars increase, you never see new cars priced lower in a year or two.

Yes it’s a tough pill to swallow, just gotta decide if you still want to RV and then new or used.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #32

I would have cancelled the order too just on principle. It would make me feel better but most likely, as some have pointed out, at a price. We are happy with our 2013 coach which we ordered and it's probably our last coach. If I were in the market today, I would do as many others have done successfully and search for that perfect 2000 to 2007 pampered coach that we could have the interior remolded to our needs/wants. The end result would be a solid high quality motorhome that had our personalized touch and left a nice balance in our savings account. I've always enjoyed the challenge of finding that perfect buy. Maybe cancelling your new coach is opening the door to a much better option.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #33
Community Moderator

Did you have a signed purchase agreement? If you did, the price on it should be the final price.
Camp CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner just announced an $11,000 chassis price increase.
Ford announced a $1,000 increase on "gas" chassis.
Spartan also announce a significant increase; don't remember the amount.
None of the manufacturers can swallow that type increase! so, they pass it on.
Newmar had been honoring "price protection" on "Sold" orders, but now have stopped, effective for their production runs beginning in their "Week 31" production run! Not sure of the date.
Most all of the other manufacturers had earlier stopped honoring any type price protection; which creates a huge hardship for the "Buyer", & for the "Dealer" as well!
Where does it end?
I think most buyers, dealing with a reputable Dealer, will be able to "opt out" of the purchase, & have their deposit returned. There will probably be some Dealers that are less ethical, & will try to keep (steal) the deposit from the Buyer! A tough situation! And a potentially big LEGAL situation!
Good Luck to those still hanging in there waiting for their new Motorhome!
I wonder what's going to happen when these Motorhomes are sitting & not selling?
Some Dealers & Manufacturers are going to be in financial trouble! Another RV market BUST?? Who knows?
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I told them I was cancelling and send deposit back. Thanks. It was the principle at the end. I am going to wait until market cools. I think it is starting because inventories look like they are starting to edge back. I will say, my dealer had a lot of cancellations after this.
I still don't see where you answered the question asked by several, did your contract make notice the possibility of price increases before production was completed? Did your dealer review with you any possibility of price increases that could occur even after you paid the deposit on a contract with a quoted price?

If neither, you were getting shafted by your dealer.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #36

Quote:
If they raise I can cancel. I just read the sales order. I think I will back out. Meant to be type of feeling. I am taking it as a sign. Little uncertain out there, and in 1-2 years the market should be different. Thanks all.
Wouldn't surprise me if the dealer takes the lower price once you say you're backing out. Of course, that depends on whether he has another buyer waiting in the wings.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Did you have a signed purchase agreement? If you did, the price on it should be the final price.
If you go back and read the thread...

The devil is in the details. The terms and conditions of the agreement signed with the dealership allowed them to adjust the price after the order and before delivery.

I've no idea how common that might be for new rigs, and don't care because I plan never to buy a new one. (The depreciation curve is nearly vertical for the first two years!)
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:06 PM   #38

Just sayin, I ordered my AB 40IP in July, hopefully picking it up in a few weeks at my dealer (had to be returned to Red Bay for some repairs). 2 price increases later, my price is still original price negotiated in July. Nothing in the original agreement about price increases, dealer never mentioned it. Sounds like it depends on the dealer.
Abjrjrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #39

Tiffin Comment

People often ask "can they do this...." The answer is always in what you agreed to do/allow. Does your contract state that the price you agreed to pay was fixed? If so, you're safe. Does it indicate that your price can change? If so you're screwed.

I'm not an attorney, but the above is true. The final option is if they come back and suggest a higher price, and you "accept" it, then you've both agreed to renegotiate the contract at the new terms. In theory, you could come back with, "I know I agreed to "x" but I'd like to pay "y" (a lesser price) if they say yes, your good but they can hold you to the original contract.

Regarding the contract, there may be language in it that says if they increase the price, you have options and then it would describe your options.

In any case, in my opinion, its bad business!
jpreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #40

Run, do not look back, the gators are on your heels! We went into one dealer, La Mesa, found a motorized rig we liked with the sale price on the windshield. Upon returning from the test drive we were told another party bought it but we could raise our bid to buy it. Alternatives were coming in at a significantly higher price, but we could wait for them. Told DW we needed to get out of there.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #41

Yeah they are all doing that now. NIRVC will lock in the discount percent but not the price. Of course NIRVC has a fully refundable deposit in writing. I was going to order a Newmar Ventana but they raised their prices $30,000 (8%) on the model I wanted with no guarantee they wouldn't do it again before it could get made. That put that unit and manufacturer out of my price range, so I went with an Entegra Reatta XL. Difference in prices is about $80,000 between the two.
If you go to Newmar's website they start out showing you the price from back May or June 2021 and then as you click on the floorplan you see the price change. So it appears since then they have raise the price of the Ventana about $78,000 in less than a year. Seems more greed than cost to me.
randystu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #42

Here at the Beach, the large tract home builders and adding increases and telling folks if they want out of their home purchase they have the paperwork for them to sign because they have 10 people lined up waiting on a house 'now'! Sad but supply and demand rules and with the cost of inflation of everything and slow supplies it is the lovely 'New Normal' so many people wanted LOL. Sorry for your dilemma but another option may be to find a good used one. That price will be what it is!
Pack82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money