Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

Tiffin 34TGA handling

Hi,
Just to let you know that I purchased a 2012 34TGA and could not take my hands of the steering wheel. It was horrible how it was handling, going from side to side on the hiway( worst with wind).
But I installed a Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and a Henderson rear track bar, and guess what, It handles like a dream. It is a little expensive but worth the $$$$ invested.
Now, I can tell the wife that I like the motorhome(she is now very happy.
Take my advice, try these mods, you will not regret it.
Yves
larock55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larock55 View Post
Hi,
Just to let you know that I purchased a 2012 34TGA and could not take my hands of the steering wheel. It was horrible how it was handling, going from side to side on the hiway( worst with wind).
But I installed a Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and a Henderson rear track bar, and guess what, It handles like a dream. It is a little expensive but worth the $$$$ invested.
Now, I can tell the wife that I like the motorhome(she is now very happy.
Take my advice, try these mods, you will not regret it.
Yves
It also helps to lower the air pressure in the tires. Most times Tiffin puts the max air pressure in when you really don't need it. Mine came with 110psi and I dropped it down to 95psi and it made some difference in handling.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My 2012 32CA actually handles pretty good once the rig was loaded, weighed, and tire pressures adjusted. Yes, it does move a bit in the wind but I expected something 32 ft long and 12 ft high to act as a giant sail and I'm not overwhelmed by it.

As far as taking my hands off the wheel, I really never do that - not even in my car. I've found plenty of road where I can relex a bit and use one hand but it really depends more on the road than the rig.

I'll continue to wait and see on the Safe-T-Steer and additional sway control. I've driven it about 2000 mi now and it feels more comfortable each day.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Don't worry, I do not drive with no hands on the wheel, just to say that it really make a big difference.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2012 34 TGA seems to handle pretty good but I have not pulled a toad yet. I am looking to buy a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4075 ) lbs to tow, any thoughts. I would loved here comments - not sure how the V10 6.8 is going to handle it. Don't want it to be a dog. Thanks
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #6

Hi,
Before installing the rear track bar, I was pulling a Cadillac SRX(1975kg) and I found it hard to haul, a little bit heavy and a bit of tail wagging. Now I use a Chevy HHR wich is about 1400kg, so lighter and with the track bar, I presume it will be super.
But you have to be advised that on a flat surface, you sure will have no problems with the JEEP but on mountain road,it will be much different. Make sure to use the tow/haul mode on your tranny, also be sure not to go over your gross combined weight (26000 lbs).
Yves
Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
2012 34 TGA Handling

Purchase in July and in process of buying a toad for pulling behind RV, trying to get out in front of the handling issues.
Going to install Safe-T- Steering, applying quick fix that is talked about in the blog. Not sure if I'm going to do Henderson rear track or the Davis rear track. From what I can gleam from all that I have read it appears that the better upgrade is the Firestone air bags option. Trying to make the right choice.
I also understand that to a get updated chassis alignment caster angle to be increased to the maximum recommended value.
Has anyone done this with their own RV?
Topkick1sgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #8

steering damper and track bar worked just fine for me,but I might put firestone air bags on the rear suspension ( no compressor) just to accomodate a small motorcycle in the back.
I think tha the damper and track bar should be the first things to install. I am not a pro but I like to drive my unit a lot more than before, it is like day and night.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had pretty wild handling experience with mine as well until I aired up my tires correctly and balanced my load.
Now I can honestly say I see no need for after market devices to help with handling. It drives pretty darn good all by itself...and even better when I get back in my seat after getting a coke out of the fridge.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

I've had my 2012 34TGA since April, 2012. Does move a little when the semis go by on the highway or when its very windy, but generally handles very well. Have 90 PSI all around.
ohtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I really like the 34gta MH. I see them all over, and they are a great design, and really get a lot of space out of the 34 feet. What is a real shame, Tiffin did not engineer these things very well. If you have to put a lot of aftermarket parts on to make them feel stable, I have to ask myself, why diid Tiffin not just install all this stuff to begin with. After nearly two years on here, I see the number 2 complaint on gasser class A's is the stability and handling.

Tiffin may be considered well built coach, but the engineering leaves something to be desired. I don't think this problem is limited to Tiffin, I'm just picking on them because it is this thread.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #12

Tiffin does not engineer the chassis, Ford does.. or in some Workhorse did.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4
Tiffin does not engineer the chassis, Ford does.. or in some Workhorse did.
I see some in this thread that said they added steering or suspension pieces to their coach to get it to handle properly. Would not then they be voiding their factory warranty on their Chassis?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I see some in this thread that said they added steering or suspension pieces to their coach to get it to handle properly. Would not then they be voiding their factory warranty on their Chassis?
From what I have learned the Ford people don't have a problem with the upgrades that many are adding because they build the F53 with basis intent so it can be in more than one application. The design allows 3rd party to ensure the outcome for each load depending on what setting on top of chassis.
That's why they send it out from factory as incomplete vehicle, as long as you don't exceed its capabilities, weight ect ect they are good with most of the 3rd party applications.
Topkick1sgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin