Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to srhodes875
Tiffin 40QSH Buy or Not buy?

Anyone know if this is a good idea to buy? It is a 2008.
I owned a HR 2000 Ambassodor and that thing was a nightmare on wheels. I said from that point on I would never own a motor home again. But the wife says she is going to have one.
srhodes875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you haven't already post your question on the Tiffin RV Network.

www.tiffinrvnetwork.com

Tiffin had 3 main problems which were the roof rails, wet bay and sidewall cracks. I'm not sure if the coach you are looking at was affected or not but you can call the Tiffin factory with the VIN# and they can tell you if the coach has been inspected and if the work was done if needed.

1-256-356-0261
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are three well known possible issues that could apply to this coach, commonly know as "The Big Three".

1. Roof rail thermal fatigue - The one piece fiberglass roof has radius edges that transition to the exterior side walls. The radius portion of quite a number of these roofs can develop spider cracks that break through the base and clear coat.

2. Wet bay floor - The flooring under the wet bay can rot out due to moisture intrusion.

3. Front DS slide leak - The bottom of the front DS slide can develop a leak allowing moisture to enter the coach and rot the slide floor out.

Tiffin has been covering the repair of these items at no charge, even for other than the original owner, and you don't necessarily have to go to Red Bay, except for the DS slide floor, as they have to pull the slide completely out of the coach to replace the floor.

However they have put some time limits on the coverage. One, I believe the roof rails, is six years, so this coach would be borderline. One of the others, I believe the wet bay floor, is eight years.

Chances are one or more of these have already been taken care of by the current, or previous owner if you're purchasing from a dealer. You can verify this, and what ever coverage may be still be in effect, by contacting Don Boyd at Tiffin. Email: don.boyd@tiffinmotorhomes.com Ph: 256-356-0261 Ext 3290

BTW, I have an 09 Phaeton QSH and have had the first two items repaired. My DS slide floor passed inspection in Red Bay two months ago.

I started my reply before Jon posted his, but then went and ate dinner before I finished and submitted it. :-)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhodes875 View Post
Anyone know if this is a good idea to buy? It is a 2008.
I owned a HR 2000 Ambassodor and that thing was a nightmare on wheels. I said from that point on I would never own a motor home again. But the wife says she is going to have one.
there OK as I own one.the actuall inner workings(ways of assembly) are crude in a lot of ways but that's something most people will never see. depends on what u pay ($$$)for the unit. roof rails were a sore spot as I have to have mine replaced. windows real bad for fogging and dust infiltration
I have replaced 5 windows and need to do 4 more.because the glass is so dark you have to make sure you look at the windows in real good light
slide floors on some models were weak.(floors made too lite and not enough roller support).
does it have HWH jacks or those goofy power gear electric jacks
the 425ISL is a good motor no problems there
If I was in the market I would look at a newmar mountain air or Monaco dynasty or beaver Pat thunder or a entegra anthem
all built/constructed etc way better
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin