Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #15

I did get the residential refrig, but only after I decided to upgrade to the 24k chassis. I read many stories about a sometime very low CCC with this setup and the stock 22k chassis. The 24k is the same chassis used by the big 36 foot gas Tiffins and I am 150% happy that I did. Not only do I have a CCC over well over 3000 lbs, the handling on the road is fantastic. It drives like my Suburban, no side sway, no bumpy ride and I can virtually carry ANYTHING with that CCC. For only an additional $2500 the upgrade to the 24k chassis is something you should consider. I was at the Tiffin factory when my coach was being built and was able to see side by side comparisons of the 22k stock chassis vs. the 24k upgrade. More suspension, bigger leaf springs,slightly bigger tires, HD brakes and a significantly increased turning radius. Of course she doesn't but it seems like to turns at a 90 degree angle, not sure of the actual turning radius but navagating through a crowded parking lot is no worries at all. Love my 31SA would never buy another brand except for Tiffin. Got my eye on a Phaeton somewhere down the road.

You may also want to join the www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/ for more information on the 31SA or any other Tiffin models. So in conclusion my humble opinion is...

Order a new 2015 31SA. You should be able to negotiate a price of less than $125k when you order it and not take one off the dealers lot.
Go to Red Bay while it is being built. 4 days max from chassis to paint is all it takes.
Get the 24k upgrade chassis.

You will love it.

Good luck.

Russ in Oregon
rfholst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #16

We've put 16,000 miles on our 2013 31SA since last July. On our last trip from St Louis to Utah we noticed some unusual wear on the front tires. Had to have it realigned in Salt Lake City. I contacted Tiffin about it and they sent me a check to cover the alignment and some of the tire wear. Outstanding support!

Went camping last week in 98 degree heat. At that temperature our standard refrigerator couldn't get the temperature below 37 degrees. Once the outside temperature got down to 90, the refrigerator got down to 33 degrees. My plan is to install a fan behind the refrigerator to move air over the coils.

We also went to the factory to see our coach being built. I'd highly recommend a tour of the factory and of the paint shop. I'm a retired GM engineer and used to manufacturing plants and I was still impressed seeing how Tiffin coaches are built.

Scott in Missouri
andiscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Wife and I are still looking for our first MH. I've been impressed with the Tiffin line. Can anyone tell me how the 31SA handles in the mountains? I've been shying away from gas MH mainly due to the negative feed back I've gotten from friends that have driven both. Thanks.
wesjones412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #18

Seems like the gap between the gas and diesel experience has greatly declined. The old gas vs diesel arguments have to reconsidered for the newer models. I think this is putting some pressure on the diesel sales.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjones412 View Post
Wife and I are still looking for our first MH. I've been impressed with the Tiffin line. Can anyone tell me how the 31SA handles in the mountains? I've been shying away from gas MH mainly due to the negative feed back I've gotten from friends that have driven both. Thanks.
We bought a 2014 31SA stock earlier this year. Our first trip was to Western Montana (from Ontario) in the Bitterroot Valley. We have family there and had a great time. We went from there - if you are familiar with the area to Ennis - which is significantly higher elevation. Up and down many mountains and never a problem. Gas mileage between 6 and 8. Love the V10 engine. After driving it I understand why people would want a diesel for a larger coach but I'm perfectly happy with the gasser at this size.

Fred
Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #20

We've got over 17,000 miles on our 2013 31SA. Our first trip was to California through Flagstaff in the winter towing a Cadillac SRX. Didn't have any problems. On steeper climbs we were down in 2nd gear at 35 mph with the trucks in the truck lane. The tow/haul switch on the gear shift lever worked great on the down hills using engine braking. Saved using brakes a lot. With the gas prices over a dollar a gallon less than diesel we're happy we have a gas motorhome right now. When we were shopping for an RV and comparing gas units to diesel units, a diesel was about $50,000 more than gas for the same size unit. Since this was our first motorhome, we thought we'd start with a gas unit. Besides, I can perform all the routine maintenance on it myself. Support from our dealer and Tiffin have been outstanding.
andiscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Speaking of support - we are currently in Red Bay for a little warranty work. This place is amazing - the staff is wonderful. Stuff is being taken care of quickly and efficiently. With over 40 service bays and 200+ employees at this location I am beyond impressed.

Fred
Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #22

drdavemcc,

Have you looked at the 32SA? Same as the 31SA but with a king bed instead of a queen bed.

I believe that the 32SA comes standard with the 24k chassis.

An option that you should look into is a new item that Tiffin offers called the "SumoSprings". It is supposed to take out most if not all of the East - West roll and the porpoising. The few reviews I have seen have all been good.

Opps...Went back and looked at your posts and now realized that you already bought one, but it may help the next person.
rvingrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #23

Hope this thread stays active. Am very interested to hear of any frustrations with the suspension/ride/driver's wheel experience. Was pretty sure, earlier, that I would get a used 2008 34ft Newmar diesel with comfort drive, but would prefer a newer Tiffin 32 sa as I really like the floor plan and as I stated above, the updated F-53 chassis has really closed the gap, and like any stock mh some suspension upgrades still improve it even more.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin