Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tiffin Allegro Bus - no ladder? Options

We are buying a tiffin allegro bus but it doesn't have the ladder on it, what are people doing when they need to get on top of their bus once in a while?
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Collapsible ladders mainly. It isnít that often that you need to get up there and unless you are full time, you can always use your ladders at home.

I prefer a permanent ladder so you can easily access the roof any time. Things can happen on the road and I donít want to have to mess with a portable ladder. Ladders were also eliminated on most Newmar models too because of the rear roof valence.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
hereís a similar thread I started last year

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/no-...re-469997.html

Lots of suggestions here, as well as a few rather pointed comments....
Old 01-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #4

Add one?

Call Tiffin and ask if the backup plates are molded into your end cap. They'll also be able to sell you the ladder. I wouldn't buy a rig without a ladder, but that's me.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Add one?

Call Tiffin and ask if the backup plates are molded into your end cap. They'll also be able to sell you the ladder. I wouldn't buy a rig without a ladder, but that's me.
I would have bought a ladder but we are getting a really great deal on a 2019 MP model, so ladder is not worth the cost difference
Old 01-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I would have bought a ladder but we are getting a really great deal on a 2019 MP model, so ladder is not worth the cost difference
That works. I know Tiffin's ladder price is not cheap (had to change one quite a while back. . . Don't ask :LOL) but putting it on was a snap. Might be worthwhile to check anyway. I'd expect there WERE backing plates already on the cap, but Tiffin would be able to tell you for sure. I'd also ask them to send you a copy of the location drawings if you decide to buy their ladder.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
That works. I know Tiffin's ladder price is not cheap (had to change one quite a while back. . . Don't ask :LOL) but putting it on was a snap. Might be worthwhile to check anyway. I'd expect there WERE backing plates already on the cap, but Tiffin would be able to tell you for sure. I'd also ask them to send you a copy of the location drawings if you decide to buy their ladder.
I broke down and bought a telescopic ladder, it'll fit underneath and it isn't heavy. I am pretty sure you had to replace a ladder the same reason I did, my ladder was rated for 200lbs, I'm 240lbs.. lol
Old 01-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

I ordered my Phaeton without the ladder for aesthetic as well as storage space issues. At home I just use an extension ladder. On the road I use a telescoping one. Both work great. I position them near one of the roof vents which gives me a hand hold for balance. Also, I can stand on the ladders without needing to hold on which is great for passing stuff up and down.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I broke down and bought a telescopic ladder, it'll fit underneath and it isn't heavy. I am pretty sure you had to replace a ladder the same reason I did, my ladder was rated for 200lbs, I'm 240lbs.. lol
Nope, backed into an overhang. I'm 220+ and have been known to bring fairly heavy objects up top by the ladder without any problem. One of my main reasons for the ladder was that if we hit a low clearance I wanted to be able to hang on it on the phone to DW, driving, so we knew if we'd clear. We go to a lot of out of the way places and U-turns are often impossible. At 79 I can still do a reasonable scamper around the rig, and do just about all our maintenance. 110,000+ on the coach and are hoping our 10th drive up to Alaska goes this summer. Had to cancel the Southwest this winter.

Safe travels.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Nope, backed into an overhang. I'm 220+ and have been known to bring fairly heavy objects up top by the ladder without any problem. One of my main reasons for the ladder was that if we hit a low clearance I wanted to be able to hang on it on the phone to DW, driving, so we knew if we'd clear. We go to a lot of out of the way places and U-turns are often impossible. At 79 I can still do a reasonable scamper around the rig, and do just about all our maintenance. 110,000+ on the coach and are hoping our 10th drive up to Alaska goes this summer. Had to cancel the Southwest this winter.

Safe travels.
Awesome, I used to stress about the bridge heights as well till I picked up my Garmin RV GPS, it knows all the low bridges and structures on main roads, now trees you are still on your own!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Add one?

There are backup plates behind the caps to secure a rear ladder as I asked Tiffin. I was in Red Bay a s Tiffin installed the top portion of the ladder for 235.00. I opted not to purchase the bottom section. I just use a Gorilla ladder extended in the straight position to lean up against the top ladder on the rear cap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5091.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	315759
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #12

On ours, the rear cap flexes too much for my comfort when I use the installed ladder. I use the telescoping kind instead.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Rear ladder installed on 2020 45OPP

I know I am late to this party but I hope this helps others out especially with later model coaches. When we were in Red Bay in May I bought the two piece ladder for our 2020 Allegro Bus. I did ask Tiffin for the backplate mounting information and they provided it to me. After installing the top section I was looking for a good place to store the lower section and low and behold I found it.

As you can see I installed the lower section inside the rear engine access cover. All i did was ben two pieces of 1" aluminum flat bar, covered the inside of them with rubber insulation to protect the ladder. It's installed using sheet metal screws into the back panel and a couple of Velcro safety straps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New ladder installed.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	332492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder in Engine Compartment.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	332493  

dld3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
There are backup plates behind the caps to secure a rear ladder as I asked Tiffin. I was in Red Bay a s Tiffin installed the top portion of the ladder for 235.00. I opted not to purchase the bottom section. I just use a Gorilla ladder extended in the straight position to lean up against the top ladder on the rear cap.

Attachment 315759
Same solution for me. Works well.

Tags
allegro, allegro bus, tiffin