Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
I have the Red 340 33AL. I realize you are considering the 38. We love ours. Not a lot of bells and whistles when compared to the higher end coaches, but we don't necessarily miss most of them. Well, I do wish we had an ice maker in the fridge. I have the AL, so my AC returns are not ducted (kind of noisy). Plenty of power for us for sure. Like Treetopguy (and many others) my small air makeup pump was never connected at the factory. It is now connected. I rarely hear it run honestly. With the prices I'm hearing about out there, I am so thankful we bought it at the beginning'ish of the pandemic before prices really took off. We were already planning to buy one before the pandemic hit, so I was already researching heavily. Like you, I bought from the dealer and they wanted to unload mine so I got a great deal off the more "reasonable" MSRP. Good luck!

What...no ice maker? I should have been more careful in my research. Deal is off ...I was in one in AZ last week that had the heat pump going and I didn't notice it being too noisy, but I have read that complaint before. Maybe since we haven't had an RV before, we don't have anything to compare it to. For us this seems to be a good mix of features, quality, and price that we were looking for. We started out looking for a used relatively late model entry level DP. However, used prices have been quite high and this seems to be a good option.

We were going to go look at it today, but the technician found the digital dash was faulty so they have to order a new one. Anyone had that issue before?
CTIIpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2022, 06:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIIpilot View Post
What...no ice maker? I should have been more careful in my research. Deal is off ...I was in one in AZ last week that had the heat pump going and I didn't notice it being too noisy, but I have read that complaint before. Maybe since we haven't had an RV before, we don't have anything to compare it to. For us this seems to be a good mix of features, quality, and price that we were looking for. We started out looking for a used relatively late model entry level DP. However, used prices have been quite high and this seems to be a good option.

We were going to go look at it today, but the technician found the digital dash was faulty so they have to order a new one. Anyone had that issue before?
There is a recall on the digital dash. It's a freightliner warrantee fix. I'm glad that I don't have an ice maker. It's too easy to take ice, or get ice. I don't like having to winterize a ice maker.
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:

Maybe the "noise" difference is that different models have different setup - some are ducted and some are non ducted as said in an earlier post. The other difference for 2022 seems to be the installation of the hot water loop in the shower so you don't run 5 gallons of water before the shower gets hot. Actually thinking of installing one of these in my Red..
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Maybe the "noise" difference is that different models have different setup - some are ducted and some are non ducted as said in an earlier post. The other difference for 2022 seems to be the installation of the hot water loop in the shower so you don't run 5 gallons of water before the shower gets hot. Actually thinking of installing one of these in my Red..
Yes, see Treetop's previous post about what he did to mitigate the hot water problem. The 2022's have a Aquaview Showermiser that diverts water that isn't hot yet.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott001 View Post
Hey there, we bought a RED 38 QBA back 8 years ago and had GREAT experiences with it.

My initial concern was the 340 motor, but I got over that rather quickly. Sure, when I'm going over steep grades I'm not the fastest, but I'm good with it. The customer service from Tiffin is exceptional. I had one of my out-of-warranty house items fail and they sent me a new set without hesitation and wouldn't accpet any payment. Outstanding!!
We bought a new 2021 Red 340 38LL about 9 months ago. I was also a little concerned about the power from the engine, but haven't had any issues at all. It pulls good, doesn't struggle on hills, and pulls our Mini Cooper like it isn't there. Support from Tiffin has been great, but we haven't needed too much.

BTW, mileage averages 9.5 to 11mpg, with the tow car, depending on hills and how fast I drive.
halleeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopguy View Post
Well, I bought our 2021 38ll last April. we love the floor plan and have 8k miles on it so far. We leave in the morning on a short trip to Lubbock.
The things I have corrected, mostly myself are=
1. The air compressor didn't work when I got it. The dealer told me it was working fine, but it didn't. Be sure the pump is hooked up, and have the dealer demonstrate that it will come on as needed.
2. The gas heat ducts under the bedroom drawers were in contact with the drawer bottoms and holes were worn in the ducts. I had to reroute them after tiffin sent me new duct material. Pull out the bottom drawers and inspect the ducts for wear or if they are rubbing on the drawers.
3. It takes forever for hot water to reach the back shower. I installed a valve that I can use to create a hot water loop when needed. The 2022 models have an extra valve in the shower that does the same thing that I had to do.
Finally, be aware of the dinette seat belt recall. It's not a big deal, but should be corrected by any dealer before being sold now.
And, there is a freightliner recall on the dash display. I haven't worried with it yet, but plan to get it done with next break in traveling.

I really enjoy this coach. It's much more comfortable to drive than my last coach, and gets nearly twice the mileage. I pull a 2012 MKX and average 10.4 mpg. My previous gas coach got 5.5 mpg.
Tomorrow I will find out how it works in 10 to 15 degree weather!
Your coach looks identical to ours. We love the blue color!

I'll have to look for the venting issue you had and see if the same is happening. We haven't noticed any of the issues you've had, but we had some of our own. So far, Tiffin and the local dealer have fixed everything that's gone wrong.

We have 9,000 miles on ours, so far. We pull a 2009 Mini Cooper. Our mileage tends to be between 9.5 and 11mpg, depending on how heavy my foot is, and how many hills we have to climb.
halleeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleeng View Post
Your coach looks identical to ours. We love the blue color!

I'll have to look for the venting issue you had and see if the same is happening. We haven't noticed any of the issues you've had, but we had some of our own. So far, Tiffin and the local dealer have fixed everything that's gone wrong.

We have 9,000 miles on ours, so far. We pull a 2009 Mini Cooper. Our mileage tends to be between 9.5 and 11mpg, depending on how heavy my foot is, and how many hills we have to climb.
We really liked the paint color, and have had many others comment on it. It is also my favorite shade of blue. I have another vehicle of sorts that has the same color!
The hot water to the back bathroom just took too long for me if I was boondocking. I've put a automatic valve on it that keeps the water in the hot lines around 90 degrees. I had a little issue with it the last time I was using the water tank. The pump would come on periodically if I left it on overnight. The noise kept me up. I've now got an automatic valve that I will soon wire in that will give me an easy switch to activate the hot water loop whenever I need it to be on. This helped improve the wait time ( and water volume waste) from about 1.5 minutes to about 20 seconds to get to the bath area.
On the ducts, just pull the bottom drawers all the way out in the bedroom and see if the ductwork is being damaged. I may have just had a newbie install mine at the factory or something.
Happy travels!
Old 02-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #22

Picked up our 38 LL a few weeks ago. Thanks again for all the info. Had the opportunity to do a couple of break in trips at one of our local state parks…Topsail Hill SP in Florida. The one problem that we have encountered is with the digital dash. The digital dash went out on our last trip and is currently at the Freightliner service center. Apparently this is a common issue that should be rectified by the current recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ABD6C6C-CFB8-4675-B200-421EFCD08367.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	355648  
Old 02-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Picked up our 38 LL a few weeks ago. Thanks again for all the info. Had the opportunity to do a couple of break in trips at one of our local state parks…Topsail Hill SP in Florida. The one problem that we have encountered is with the digital dash. The digital dash went out on our last trip and is currently at the Freightliner service center. Apparently this is a common issue that should be rectified by the current recall.
congrats! Same color as ours! Hope you enjoy the travels yet to come!
Old 02-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #24

Thanks Treetopguy…. Also, I did catch the rubbing of the heat duct under the drawer based on your post. It was rubbing so they reshaped (to an oval) the duct with some zip ties. Not sure if that is the approved solution, but it did alleviate the rubbing.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks Treetopguy…. Also, I did catch the rubbing of the heat duct under the drawer based on your post. It was rubbing so they reshaped (to an oval) the duct with some zip ties. Not sure if that is the approved solution, but it did alleviate the rubbing.
That's what I had to do on my ducts as well. I also used a rubber bungee strap and anchored it to the floor and going across the top of the ducts to keep them down.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #26

Quote:
That's what I had to do on my ducts as well. I also used a rubber bungee strap and anchored it to the floor and going across the top of the ducts to keep them down.
Thanks...I will have to check it out once I get it back from the Freightliner service center. I do have a question about chassis batteries and storage. The technician who did our walk through prior to purchase said not to turn off any batteries when we stored the coach if we were hooking it up to power. Our storage facility has a 30 amp hook up. We parked it for a little over a week at our storage facility and when we came out, the chassis batteries were completely dead. I called Tiffin and they said the 2021 had a trickle charger for the chassis batteries and turn them off when parking it for a few days because something was draining more power than what the charger was providing. Has this been your experience? Seems odd that something is using that much power while the coach is off.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks...I will have to check it out once I get it back from the Freightliner service center. I do have a question about chassis batteries and storage. The technician who did our walk through prior to purchase said not to turn off any batteries when we stored the coach if we were hooking it up to power. Our storage facility has a 30 amp hook up. We parked it for a little over a week at our storage facility and when we came out, the chassis batteries were completely dead. I called Tiffin and they said the 2021 had a trickle charger for the chassis batteries and turn them off when parking it for a few days because something was draining more power than what the charger was providing. Has this been your experience? Seems odd that something is using that much power while the coach is off.
I haven't seen a big power draw from the chassis batteries. When I first got the coach, I had it stored until my first big trip. I did have the chassis batteries go dead after weeks of storage. I was confused why the chassis batteries were not charging when I had it plugged into a 20 amp plug. I then found that there is indeed a trickle 4 amp maintainer unit on the rig. It is located in the second bay from the back on the passenger side. There is a dedicated receptacle mounted in that same compartment that is for plugging the trickle charger in. What I found was that the trickle charger was never plugged into the receptacle! It's just like any charger that is plugged into a wall receptacle. It even had the plastic prong protector caps on the plug! Since I plugged the unit in, I've had zero issues with the chassis batteries.
Have you located the trickle charger and checked that it is plugged in? I'll bet it wasn't. The trickle charger is hardwired to the batteries however. The charger is a small black box that is wire tied to a wire bundle in that compartment. It has a indicator light on it showing that its active, but it's kind of dim.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #28

Quote:
I haven't seen a big power draw from the chassis batteries. When I first got the coach, I had it stored until my first big trip. I did have the chassis batteries go dead after weeks of storage. I was confused why the chassis batteries were not charging when I had it plugged into a 20 amp plug. I then found that there is indeed a trickle 4 amp maintainer unit on the rig. It is located in the second bay from the back on the passenger side. There is a dedicated receptacle mounted in that same compartment that is for plugging the trickle charger in. What I found was that the trickle charger was never plugged into the receptacle! It's just like any charger that is plugged into a wall receptacle. It even had the plastic prong protector caps on the plug! Since I plugged the unit in, I've had zero issues with the chassis batteries.
Have you located the trickle charger and checked that it is plugged in? I'll bet it wasn't. The trickle charger is hardwired to the batteries however. The charger is a small black box that is wire tied to a wire bundle in that compartment. It has a indicator light on it showing that its active, but it's kind of dim.
Wow! I bet is isn't plugged in either. I will have to check it out when I get the coach back. I have seen the device before and was curious to what it was. It does show 12.4 Volts or so when plugged in camping. Great info...thanks.

Tags
allegro, purchase, tiffin