Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tiffin construction

I am in the process of comparing choices of a Class A, 30-32' range. Most of the options are gassers, and I really like some of the floor plans on the Newmar Bay Star.

However, I just found out that Tiffin has a diesel in the 31' range, the Breeze 31R!!!

I found a great video on the construction of the walls and roof of the Newmars. They are hung walls, not laminated. You can see it here:

So, my question is: how are the Tiffins constructed......hung walls?

Would anyone know of a video similar to the one I posted that covers Tiffin? Thanks
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The walls of the Breeze like all Tiffins are a sandwich of fiberglass, an aluminum frame filled with styrofoam and inside paneling.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok, Thanks! Not a deal breaker by any means, but just curious. If I can swing the upfront cost of the diesel, then this will most likely be the route I'm taking.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are looking at the Breeze, should also look at the RED 33AA, has some extra features available.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

Watch out for the true length of any rig versus the nomenclature used by RV builders. Look at the specs. The Red 33AA is actually 35’2”, the 31BR Breeze is 31’6”. The Bay Stars say 3124 or whatnot and that one is 31’11”.

These figures do NOT include the ladder on the back so add another 15 inches or so for that.

If you are looking to keep it short due to the size of your storage space at home or whatnot then this can be a fatal error to miscalculate. If you are looking to keep it short to fit into National Park campsites most folks cheat on their length anyway ... no more to say on that.

We also came down to a Bay Star or a 32SA. Personally, I think the Newmar box build looks superior with batt insulation, thickness of the insulation, versus styrofoam. However, Tiffin does a FAR superior job of bringing their quality materials, appliances, et al down the line to the Open Road making the Open Road nice bits on a par with their entry level diesel Red. Newmar Bay Star is entry level and feels that way when sitting inside IMHO.

Both companies make a fine rig. On the short coach they are your two best choices over the Winnie’s and Thor’s et al. Good luck with your decision. We are happy with ours.

Dave
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #6

Tiffin construction

Note that 95% of all rv,s are built with styrofoam insulation.
Pick up a hot cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup, then pick up a paper coffee cup with same thickness of fibreglass bat. You tell me which is insulated better.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #7

No one has ever bought a deisel and wished they had bought gas! Keep that in mind. Resale is a big reason as well
Old 09-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #8

I would recommend that you go to the factories and watch the build. I work at an RV dealership and deliver them, so I see hundreds of trailers, class A, B, and C s. I like Tiffin floor plans and colors, but not real impressed with their wood work. It seems 90% of the cabinet doors are crooked and/or have gaps. These can be fixed, but I feel Newmar does a better job on the fit and finish. While your doing your research, look closely at everything. I have met Bob Tiffin and he is a super nice guy!! They have great customer service and a loyal following. Newmar will do a lot of customizing if you order a coach. Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 09-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
I would recommend that you go to the factories and watch the build. I work at an RV dealership and deliver them, so I see hundreds of trailers, class A, B, and C s. I like Tiffin floor plans and colors, but not real impressed with their wood work. It seems 90% of the cabinet doors are crooked and/or have gaps. These can be fixed, but I feel Newmar does a better job on the fit and finish. While your doing your research, look closely at everything. I have met Bob Tiffin and he is a super nice guy!! They have great customer service and a loyal following. Newmar will do a lot of customizing if you order a coach. Hope this helps.

Mark
I am also looking at Tiffin and Newmar in the 32 foot gas category. I was surprised to find vinyl wrapped cabinetry in the Newmars (I think you can option real wood in the Canyon Star) but real wood in Tiffin Open Road.
Also, big difference in roof construction, all Tiffins have a molded fiberglass roof, only higher end Newmars have them. Might be wrong but I think it is optional with the Canyon Star and not available on the Bay Star. At the end of the video above there is a clear view of the two roof methods.
I completely agree with Ddjay's comment about how Tiffin brings nice interior features down to the gas line.
It would be unfair not to point out that the MSRP of a Bay Star is well below the Open Road, advantage Newmar.
Both companies have a great following so either would be a good choice it just comes down to some details and personal preferences.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave11 View Post
I am also looking at Tiffin and Newmar in the 32 foot gas category. I was surprised to find vinyl wrapped cabinetry in the Newmars (I think you can option real wood in the Canyon Star) but real wood in Tiffin Open Road.
Also, big difference in roof construction, all Tiffins have a molded fiberglass roof, only higher end Newmars have them. Might be wrong but I think it is optional with the Canyon Star and not available on the Bay Star. At the end of the video above there is a clear view of the two roof methods.
I completely agree with Ddjay's comment about how Tiffin brings nice interior features down to the gas line.
It would be unfair not to point out that the MSRP of a Bay Star is well below the Open Road, advantage Newmar.
Both companies have a great following so either would be a good choice it just comes down to some details and personal preferences.
I saw that about the roof tonight while reading. Is there a real advantage to a molded fiberglass roof over the BriteTEK that Newmar uses? I mean, are there really an issue with roof leaks in their motorhomes? I would think most leaks come from caulking around a/c, and other things cut into the roof, or slides.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good points about the interior wood/cabinetry.....didn't realize Newmar wasn't real wood as I haven't seen one up close yet.

As for the walls, I guess the real question is just how often do you see a Tiffin with a de-lamination issue. I mean, with the full fiberglass roof cap, probably not a huge issue of water getting in. Hummmm.

And thanks for the heads up on actual size. I have noticed that the model number doesn't seem to correspond with actual length. It's mostly trying to stay under 34' to get into the majority of forest campgrounds, etc.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
I saw that about the roof tonight while reading. Is there a real advantage to a molded fiberglass roof over the BriteTEK that Newmar uses? I mean, are there really an issue with roof leaks in their motorhomes? I would think most leaks come from caulking around a/c, and other things cut into the roof, or slides.
I think the answer to that question is that Newmar uses molded fiberglass roofs standard on the higher end units, but not on gassers.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #13

Some Breeze previous years used a Navistar diesel. Do your homework if looking at those. We found the ceiling low and the floor plan confined in the Breeze.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave11 View Post
I think the answer to that question is that Newmar uses molded fiberglass roofs standard on the higher end units, but not on gassers.
Yeah, and I see that it is a $2300 option to add the full fiberglass roof....ouch!

Tags
tiffin