Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Entertainment area, question or two

I was given a rats nest when we got this coach and working through it. What I am trying to do is get the wireless repeater to work with my Dish Box (It's the basic box so the remote has to be pointed at it) .

I reprogrammed the repeater over the tv to the main controller in the entertainment area but still not working. In the first picture, do these have to be attached directly over the input for the remote control on the Dish Box or just generally aiming at it?

In the second picture, I traced the master repeater wires to the yellow and white cables. The repeater lights up so I assume I have the power. Still can't get the repeater to work.

Last question, I have a white and yellow wire not connected to anything. Since the fan that is supposed to keep the cabinet cool has its wires cut, do you think the extra yellow and white wire are for that? The fan has three wires though.

I know this is a lot but if you made it this far and can offer any help, I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detwIkotR4+9R6XrLFz97g.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	242860   Click image for larger version

Name:	00HGwJikQqO9emGrzj7r3g.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	242861  

brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The terminations do need to be placed over the “eye” of the device.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you post a picture of the box where the power supply plugs in? If it is the same as mine, when it receives a signal from the remote from one of the inputs, a little red led lights on mine so you know it is receiving.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcoleman View Post
Can you post a picture of the box where the power supply plugs in? If it is the same as mine, when it receives a signal from the remote from one of the inputs, a little red led lights on mine so you know it is receiving.
Thanks for the replies. Here is a pic of the box. It lights up when I hit a remote in the front of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPVvoZK0QoW4pEubkpOcAQ.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	242875  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So if it is receiving signal and you put the small black remote eye over the device to be controlled, I figure it is one of a few things. In our coach, as silly as it is, if the door to the electronics is open and the remote being used can “see” the device as can the repeater, it interferes and our door must be closed. Outside of that, all I can think would be the remote is incorrectly programmed and the incorrect signal is being “repeated”. Easy check would be if the individual remote operates the target device while in fron of that device. If that does work, then it might be a bad wire or connection in the repeater lead that sits on the target device. Ours has two wires and we have had them go bad for reasons never discovered.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Unless your coach has a Spyder IR repeater that is made for Dish, you may be fighting a losing battle. The original repeaters were set up for DirecTV and they did not play well with Dish. The repeater receiver in the AV cabinet is what needs to be replaced for one made specifically for Dish, or the best option is to change to a Dish Wally receiver. The Wally uses RF remotes so it will work from anywhere in or around the coach and doesn't depend on the IR repeater. In addition, it's cheaper to switch to the Wally than buy the different repeater, which is about $106 from Tiffin(part# 5044199). A Wally can be had for as little as $65 on Amazon.

The yellow and white wires are unused 12v power that are just extras. If you have the original 1x8 Cat6/HDMI splitter boxes powered from 120v, you really need the fan to help keep them cool since they are notorious for burning out. I can't tell from the photo, but yours may have been replaced with the 1x4 splitters that run directly off of 12v. If so, they do not run hot at all.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^^^^ yep,yep,yep. Get the Wally. The remote works great in our rig,even when using it for the outside entertainment tv. Our splitters are dual 120v 1X4 hdmi, it gets quite warm in the compartment and the fan runs continuous. I have had no problems with the splitters or ir system.
Props2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yup, the Spyder blaster you have is not compatible with Dish. When we had the 2014 Phaeton, I talked Tiffin into sending me the new blaster which has to be programmed. Now they will sell one to you for about $100. Cheaper and easier to get a Wally .
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Question A related question from another Tiffin newbie

My 2017 Breeze looks to have the same setup. My manual states that the Direct TV repeater will not work with Dish. In the process of tracing my wires to see if I could avoid buying the Wally I have at last given up. One question that I have not been able to solve is where do I connect to park cable TV. My old coach had a connection in the electrical bay. Looked there, no find. Checking all the other cabinets I did find a connection on the curb side near the front that had a connection next to a 12 v plug. Salesman said that was for plugging in a TV. That seems odd as I have a TV mounted on the exterior of the coach. This is the only connection I can find but the location at the curb side on the front seems counter intuitive Any thoughts, my manual does not cover the subject.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwhela View Post
My 2017 Breeze looks to have the same setup. My manual states that the Direct TV repeater will not work with Dish. In the process of tracing my wires to see if I could avoid buying the Wally I have at last given up. One question that I have not been able to solve is where do I connect to park cable TV. My old coach had a connection in the electrical bay. Looked there, no find. Checking all the other cabinets I did find a connection on the curb side near the front that had a connection next to a 12 v plug. Salesman said that was for plugging in a TV. That seems odd as I have a TV mounted on the exterior of the coach. This is the only connection I can find but the location at the curb side on the front seems counter intuitive Any thoughts, my manual does not cover the subject.
Look in your wet bay high up on the panel, ours is not visible unless you get down and look up. On all the Tiffin coaches I'm aware of there will be two coax connectors, one for cable and the other for a carryout satellite antenna labeled tripod. On some coaches it's in the electrical bay.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You were right, I found it way up near the top. Not easy to see.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

!9 32SA, I was pleased to see the new Wally Dish receiver has a remote the uses a radio frequency instead of the IR like the TVs and blu ray player. It works everywhere in the coach.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #13

Good info HortMi, thanks. Did not order a satellite but did wire for a Traveler. Was surprised to find a Wally receiver in our new 32SA as I was not expecting one with no in-motion sat ordered. No use for it today but maybe in the future; certainly a portable at a minimum.
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Entertainment Area

Yea and verily to all that's been said about getting a Wally. We too switched, and it works just as advertised. From Tiffin or Dish, it's over $100, so Amazon is the way to go. Furthermore, you can purchase a DVR drive from Amazon, attach to the Wally and set up the recording process. Oddly enough, when I purchased mine, it installed and worked on the first attempt. What a treat that was.
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin