Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
BEC

Tiffin height

Are all Tiffin models 12’10” or 154”. Going through Zion Mt. Carmel tunnel next week so with their 13’1” restriction which if Tiffin is correct I have 3” clearance. If you have been through it what was your height and do they measure you or leave it up to you to know your height? Any info other than refer to park guide I read already would be appropriated. Thanks
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC View Post
Are all Tiffin models 12’10” or 154”. Going through Zion Mt. Carmel tunnel next week so with their 13’1” restriction which if Tiffin is correct I have 3” clearance. If you have been through it what was your height and do they measure you or leave it up to you to know your height? Any info other than refer to park guide I read already would be appropriated. Thanks
No, it depends on your model as my Phaeton is 13'2" to the top of hard surfaces. You must realize that your height is to the top of equipment like ACs, TV antenna, etc but your radio and CB antennas will extend higher. They will be scraping the top of the tunnel and 3" clearance is just too close for comfort. Is it worth the chance of losing some rooftop equipment? I have been through that tunnel on motorcycle and Jeep and I would never take an RV other than a small Class C or trailer through it. The tunnel is over a mile long and they have to shut down traffic from the opposite direction so you can ride the center line. They do measure the overall length and over 50' total is not allowed. Your safest bet is to route into Zion from the west side through Hurricane.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Height

We were at Zion last Sep. with our Tiffin 32SA. We did not drive through the tunnel, we went back around on the highway to Bryce. The only way they allow big rigs through the tunnel is by a guide. They literally shut the traffic down both ways, it is not a favorable way to go, it causes hours of traffic problems for those driving autos.
julie pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Lt Dan. Not worth the risk. I went through that tunnel with a 12' high motorhome and it felt very tight. I would never do it with one approaching 13 feet.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nope way too close for me.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
I figure 13 6 on ours.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

We went thru the tunnel in our winnebago 35U .. which if I recall correctly was the longest they would allow on that winding road .. with that being said it was an additional $45.00 for them to shut the tunnel down as I drove thru it .. toad has to be detached .. the tunnel is arched and dark .. not a lot of room for error .. and i'm not even talking about your height .. i would recommend against it also .. it seems to me one you get into the park I don't recall any convenient ways to make a U-turn .. what i know now I would have a plan before i drove the rv into the park..
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Motor home height

I never go by their specs. Get a straight edge, level and a tape measure. get on the roof and find your highest point on your unit and measure it to the ground. I have even had the wife get out and watch going under questionable underpasses. The public doesn't like it but then again they are not replacing what i would tear up.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On our 18/45OPP the brochure says 12"7' to top of A/Cs. The highest point is actually the factory dome and it was measured at 13". I don't worry about the spring loaded cb/radio antennas since they flex.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #10

I've only been through that tunnel once when I was a small kid, with my parents driving a station wagon towing a trailer. I'll never forget as soon as we entered it it got so dark the beagle in my lap got scared and wanted to jump out the window.

Here's a link to info

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/the-zion-mount-carmel-tunnel.htm
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin