Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin-installed generator fuel filter

I'm working the bulk of my issue in the Systems area of iRV2, but one piece is Tiffin-specific so I wanted too address it here.

My 2005 Phaeton 40 QDH has a QD 7500 generator that is clogging filters. It has an inline "bullet" style fuel filter that I thought was installed by the previous owner. However, I found a "how to" generator maintenance post on motorhome.com that showed a picture (below) of that type of filter that was installed by Tiffin. This filter looks nothing like the one on my coach, so I'm sure the PO changed it out for something that looks like a lawn mower filter.

Has anyone changed out the "auxiliary" filter installed by Tiffin? If so, what brand and model filter did you use? I've tried contacting Tiffin, but they must be on holiday shutdown this week. I'm trying to get started for Florida before it gets cold here, and would prefer not to wait until next week to change out this filter.

Thanks in advance as always.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Most tiffin owners just remove this filter all together. Tiffin no longer install these on the new coaches.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I Need It

Thanks, Soapy. My problem is that I'm rust-clogging the rectangular filter in just a few hours. I need to fix the root problem, but for now I'm trying to get to Florida. I need the generator to run to power the engine block heater if it is cool or cold outside when we leave. I think that the bullet filter that is in place is clogged and reducing fuel pressure, making it necessary for the rectangular filter to be fairly pristine for the generator to run. I would rather have SOMETHING to keep the larger bits from getting to the rectangular filter than just straight fuel lines. If nothing else I think I'll add a 140 micron prefilter from Wix.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You do not need to run your engine heater in Florida weather. In fact, you really don't need to run it until the temperature drops into the teens. Start the engine, wait until your air pressure comes up, and drive. You will warm up faster and it is better for the engine. Idling a diesel engine will not warm it up and your neighbors in the campground will get really annoyed with you for doing it.

If you have that much rust in that fuel tank, it is going to plug your engine filters faster than a generator filter. I think you can drop the inline filter and be safe.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Clarifications

Luvlabs,

I could have been clearer - I'm not IN Florida, I'm trying to get TO Florida. My engine won't start if the temp is 40 or lower, and it can be iffy at 45.

I'm not clogging drive engine filters for some reason, just generator filters. I'm clogging them with less than five hours run time.

If I was in a campground I wouldn't have any problem - I would just plug in the block heater the night before I planned to leave. But I'm not, I'm in my storage lot. No one in my storage lot cares whether I idle my engine or not. I almost never see another owner there. But I'm too much of a tightwad to waste fuel idling anyway.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

FILTER

NAPA They are like 6 bucks.
skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy these filters in larger sizes. Just make sure the inlet and outlet hose size is the same. If you did not pick up the rust in the fuel purchase, You need to pour in some fuel dryer into the tank to remove the water and stop the rust.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
Luvlabs,

I could have been clearer - I'm not IN Florida, I'm trying to get TO Florida. My engine won't start if the temp is 40 or lower, and it can be iffy at 45.

I'm not clogging drive engine filters for some reason, just generator filters. I'm clogging them with less than five hours run time.

If I was in a campground I wouldn't have any problem - I would just plug in the block heater the night before I planned to leave. But I'm not, I'm in my storage lot. No one in my storage lot cares whether I idle my engine or not. I almost never see another owner there. But I'm too much of a tightwad to waste fuel idling anyway.

Works for me.

Just thought of one thing - you generator fuel pickup may be too low in the tank and you are picking up all the crud off the bottom of the tank. Might want to look into that as another project.

I don't know which engine you have, but Cummins uses a big intake air preheater and reliable starts into really cold temps are normal. It might be that your start batteries need replacing as well.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Info Update

I learned a lot over the last couple of days, and I thought I would share that information. Tiffin quoted a Wix 33031, which is a gas-only filter. I asked Wix about that, and they told me that the reason that they only recommend the screen-type (140 micron) filter is that 1) their finer filters all have paper elements, 2) diesel fuel contains water, and 3) the paper in the filters absorb the water and clog.

I'm thinking that I would rather have a clogged primary filter, whether clogged with water or other contaminants, than a clogged secondary (last chance) filter. Primary "bullet" filters are comparatively both cheap and easy to change.

I'm sure I'll have plenty to add from my adventures over the next season. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Projectpro, Check out the diesel fuel filter:

Goldenrod Spin-On Fuel Filter — 3/4in. Fittings, Model# 595-3/4 | Oil Filters Fuel Filters| Northern Tool + Equipment

It's from Northern Tool, but your local auto parts should have them, or one similar. It has a spin-on oil filter, much like a standard automotive oil filter, it is designed for diesel fuel, has a much larger filtering capacity to the the inline in your picture, filters are cheap, what more could you need? You will need to purchase two screw in adapters, from pipe thread on the filter side, to probably 1/4" or 3/8"on the fuel line side to fit into the fuel lines.

Use some heavy duty zip ties to fasten to frame or better yet, fabricate a mounting bracket that attaches to each side where the nipples (OH MY GOD! Can I say that on this forum without a moderator deleting my post?!?) bolt in to the filter housing. Write down the number of the filter in your generator manual along with the location of the filter in the coach so the next owner won't go batty trying to figure it out!

Here's to safe travels for you to FL. We will be on our way on the 16th! Just remember, it gets warmer, and diesel is around $2.00 a gallon! What could get better than that?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you have that much rust in that fuel tank, it is going to plug your engine filters faster than a generator filter. I think you can drop the inline filter and be safe.

Roger, I respectfully disagree. The OP has stated that the existing filter keeps getting clogged with rust and debris. Now is NOT the time to remove ANY fuel filters!

One last thought. If the fuel to the generator is supplied from a source AFTER the engine (large) fuel strainer and filter, I would feel comfortable removing the in-line filter, but I am not aware of any manufacturer who does that, I understood that most if not all manufactures bring the fuel for the genny directly out of the fuel tank with either a standpipe, or a fitting about 1/3rd of the way from the bottom in order to prevent the genny from running the coach fuel tank dry while camping.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Scot,

I don't disagree with you but the OP was also seeing his primary generator filter clog as well with the secondary still in place. Sounds like his whole fuel system needs to be polished (or drained and flushed) and all his filters replaced. The inline filter for the generator is simply not required and Tiffin dropped them years ago. I'm not sure why they were ever used.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Scot,

I don't disagree with you but the OP was also seeing his primary generator filter clog as well with the secondary still in place. Sounds like his whole fuel system needs to be polished (or drained and flushed) and all his filters replaced. The inline filter for the generator is simply not required and Tiffin dropped them years ago. I'm not sure why they were ever used.

So the "rectangular filter" that the OP says is clogging in just a few hours is actually at the generator? I agree, it sounds like the tank needs to be removed, cleaned, and resealed!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Scot,

The inline filter for the generator is simply not required and Tiffin dropped them years ago. I'm not sure why they were ever used.
If you check the Onan installation guide, It says to install a filter before the fuel pump. Most pumps are vane style pumps. they have small plates (or vanes) with a C shaped spring behind them. Rust in the fuel is often like very small grains of sand. They will seize the vanes and the pump will stop working.

Tags
fuel, generator, install, led, tiffin