Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Tiffin insulation on older coaches

Picked this up on a different thread. I'm considering a Allegro RED 33AA and also looking at a Newmar Ventana. Don't have any experience with MH but don't wish to be trading up so willing to try and get it right first time. All weather capability not a show stopper but the quality of build that a poorly insulated MH implies is something that I'm interested in finding before I buy. Anyone have negative cold weather experience in your Allegro RED? Does age make much difference, are the new ones tighter than older?? Anyone with experience with both the Allegro RED and Ventana, would appreciate a user report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
The underbelly insulation has much in common with Swiss Cheese, all though I think the Swiss Cheese might actually be slightly better. I just aquired an AllegroBay 34XB and made the mistake of driving it over Christmas. While the coach interior was not bad, underneath froze. There are funace ducts into the tunnel under the floor, but what is the point if that tunnel is full of holes. Some due to poor construction. Other holes due to no real consideration for sealing it up. The slide out rails poke through into the tunnel. There are several gaps around the rails. No attempt was made to seal those gaps. Front end of the tunnel has a flat piece of metal across it. The metal was bent and there is a gaping hole several inches in diameter where the metal does not meat the loor of the tunnel. The raised rail sides are steel, and have no insulation on either side of the them. (Steel conducts cold from the outside fairly well) The floor of the tunnel is just a piece of wood with sheet metal underneath. The basement cabinets that are open to the tunnel are just thin steel with no insulation. I really have no idea what the though process was. You have double pain windows, as if that will keep you warm, but the basement will freeze.
My fresh water pipe froze. it runs along the side of the holding tanks. It is a confind area, so there is no access to the pipe, so no way to thaw it out. I dumped the tanks. Most of it came out as slush. I tried to blow out the water lines. As I was pumping air through it, the water stopped flowing, but I did not get air, just everything stopped, which meant it froze faster than I could flow water through. I was fortunant to have a loading dock that I could park it in over night to rescue it.

The sad part is, I have been camping every Christmas for the last 17 years in my motorhome. I only had a problem once, and was able to add some small insulation to prevent freeze up. I've since camped in single digits and high winds, and nothing froze. With the new to me coach, I don't see how I can carry on this tradition. There is no way to fix it, as access is too limited.
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #2

I have a 2001 Tiffin Alegro Bus and I have been to the factory to watch the construction of the newer models including the RED. My Friend has a 2017 Alegro Red as well. He lives in Atlanta and did not winterize this year at my suggestion. He just kept the propane tank filled and set the furnace to 40 degrees with no problem. I have owned my unit for 5 years and it has never been winterized. For the past two weeks I have been camped in 20 degree nights in Arkansas. I set the furnace to 68 degrees and slept soundly with no problems. The tank of propane lasted one week at that temperature and it lasts about a month at similar temperatures with the furnace set to 40 degrees for storage.

During all these experiment I have had recording thermometers in the bays and found the temperatures well above freezing at all times. In fact when the thermostat is set for 68 degrees the cold water feels warm coming from the faucet because the compartment temp is about 70 degrees.

I make no claim about the storage compartments, only the wet bays although my wine in the undercarriage has never frozen to my knowledge:-)

One more disclaimer, my comments only apply to the units with propane furnaces.

I do not understand the problem Davinet complaint about. I do not see that problem with my rig, and so far as I know neither has my friend.

Happy camping.

P.S. I am still living in my rig and as I type it is headed below freezing tonight and supposedly for the rest of the week. I really prefer warmer weather.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Newmar will have better insulation and uses the hung sidewall method of construction versus vacuum-laminated. It will also be quieter inside.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin