Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Layoffs

Tiffin is rumored to laying off as many as 25% of its workforce! Difficult times ahead ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unfortunately, the signs are pointing in that direction.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
in my opinion since thor bought them they have increased their prices way too much, my 37bh went up over $150,000 in three years. they have priced themselves right out of the market.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCruzer View Post
Tiffin is rumored to laying off as many as 25% of its workforce! Difficult times ahead ?
Tiffin is not the only manufacturer to lay-off or cut back hours. In August & September we were in the Goshen area for some work and installation of a solar system. At the solar place one of the workers said he worked for Forest River, and they cut their days down to 3 a week. So, he picked up extra days at this place.
At the shop we go to for some work, the scheduling gal's husband works for Keystone, they cut his schedule to 3 days/week then the next week was 2 days, then 3 days, then 2 days/week.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:40 AM   #5

Article in Red Bay News says 25%.

http://trbnews.net/main/2022/12/05/tiffin-motorhomes-lays-off-significant-number-of-employees/?amp=1
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
CLICKY
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV sales down

RV Business news reports RV Unit Sales down 43% from previous year. Hard Business decisions by upper management to keep from losses. Stay safe.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #8

Will prices come down?
HDRider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
in my opinion since thor bought them they have increased their prices way too much, my 37bh went up over $150,000 in three years. they have priced themselves right out of the market.
While I suspect other comparable brands are in the same position since most are now owned by big parent companies, we wouldn't likely own our 40IH if I had to buy it today.

Sam
Old 12-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #10

We also bought a 2021 40IH. And after experiencing some of the sloppiness of assembly it's clear that Tiffin has been resting on it's laurels the last few years.

Bob Tiffin's timing in selling the company couldn't have been better. His old mantra (“Build it well. Make it better. Back it with good service. Treat customers the way they would want to be treated. Always answer the phone.”) was spot on, and he did his part by always answering the phone. But the employees added in the last few years needed to be better trained. Thor is doing what they need to do to keep it afloat, and that's sad, but necessary.
Yes, if you're now in the market for a new motorhome, you probably coudn't pick a better time to buy.

'18 Jeep GC
Bookie Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookie Joe View Post
We also bought a 2021 40IH. And after experiencing some of the sloppiness of assembly it's clear that Tiffin has been resting on it's laurels the last few years.

Bob Tiffin's timing in selling the company couldn't have been better. His old mantra (“Build it well. Make it better. Back it with good service. Treat customers the way they would want to be treated. Always answer the phone.”) was spot on, and he did his part by always answering the phone. But the employees added in the last few years needed to be better trained. Thor is doing what they need to do to keep it afloat, and that's sad, but necessary.
Yes, if you're now in the market for a new motorhome, you probably coudn't pick a better time to buy.
I'm wrestling with some Aqua Hot heating issues (likely kinked lines and I have an active thread running here) but we've had very few and all minor issues with our IH.

My comment about not likely buying it today was due to the price increases; not sure I would spend the money.

Sam
Old 12-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #12

For the way Thor treated me I could care less if they go bankrupt. They deserve it. My 2019 Tiffin will be the last I purchase, because Thor got their hands in it. Another top of the line motorhome Newmar is in the same shape when Winnebago purchased Newmar. Quality, service, everything going to crap.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:31 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
COVID had people clamoring to RV when hotels, cruise ships & the like shut down. All the RV mfr's had to scramble to meet demand. Hiring any warm body to work on an assembly line just to get product out the door. Now demand has cooled, dealerships are swimming in inventory because they loaded up, got in the "buy it at our asking price/we aren't dealing" mindset & the pendulum has begun to swing the other way. Used COVID RV's are being turned in, it's the end of the RV'ing season up north with many of those folks deciding to get out of RV'ing due to the overcrowding of parks so that means even more inventory on dealer lots.

The market is going to continue to slow, so the mfr's have to lay-off workers & it won't be just Tiffin. It's going to hit all across the board.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #14

It is unfortunate, but most anyone could see this coming based on dealer lot / inventory. Couple that with Hugh interest rates, banks not loaning, and general uncertainty in the economy - layoffs happen. It seems to be an across the board event in the RV industry, and that has been the c case for many years. Good years, hire and build as much as you can and bad years cut staff, production and ( often) quality. The huge prices increases though, I still don’t understand that one.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin