Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #1

Tiffin max length restrictions?

We are new to RVing and are looking to buy our first "rig" and are excited about the adventure... We are looking at the TIFFIN 33A as its overall length is 35'2" per the current brochure. What do RV and Federal Parks use as the maximum length to avoid complication? I am told that 36' is the limit for some parks? Is this the size of the "motor home" including the "cockpit/driver" length, or just the placard number on the outside of the coach ie Tiffin 33AA or 37BA? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Jim and Sue Lukawski
Sun City West, AZ
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLuk View Post
We are new to RVing and are looking to buy our first "rig" and are excited about the adventure... We are looking at the TIFFIN 33A as its overall length is 35'2" per the current brochure. What do RV and Federal Parks use as the maximum length to avoid complication? I am told that 36' is the limit for some parks? Is this the size of the "motor home" including the "cockpit/driver" length, or just the placard number on the outside of the coach ie Tiffin 33AA or 37BA? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Jim and Sue Lukawski
Sun City West, AZ
The length limit for parks is the overall length, bumper to bumper. The real world question is how critically the park enforces the regulation. Further, the actual limit varies among parks so if you are concerned you need to check with the particular park. In my experience, a few inches over is usually not a concern. I always identify my coach to the park with the "Label length", which is 36' although the bumper to bumper is actually 37.9' I have not attempted to stay at a park with a length limit under 36', as are many of our State Parks along the coast.

Remember also, the length limit is not only for the camping space, but for the access roads as well. In fact, this may be the area where you could have the most difficulty, especially in National and State parks that were constructed for smaller RVs.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We worried about this before buying our first Class A. We ended up with a 37' motorhome that's nearly 38' long.

In three years I know of only one State Park that we couldn't get into - but that park's biggest site was for 30' and under. So, it wouldn't have made any difference.

Buy the RV and floorplan that suits you and you'll do fine. Then you can worry about not finding any campsites available period... no matter what your RV's length.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #4

I've never seen the guys at the gate get out the tape measure. Of course, that's unless you have a big shiny label on the side saying it's a __. If you're a bit over but can fit in the space and can park it in the space I've never seen anyone with an issue.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
First, hello & welcome to iRV2. Glad to have you.

I use my bumper to bumper length as well as viewing the campground on Google maps for determining if I will fit into a site. Most campgrounds (whether commercial, nat'l, state...etc) have 2 lengths for sites. There's the pad length (the part on which you park) & the site length (overall campsite length). Even though we're over 41ft (60ft if we include our toad), we're able to fit on some 35ft pad lengths if there's empty space past the backstop on the pad that allows us to hang our back end past that backstop.

As with what was posted prior, buy the floorplan you like & figure out what sites you'll fit into later. With the one you've picked out, you'll be able to fit into all but the smallest of sites.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Perhaps more important than which parks/campgrounds you will be able to get into is whether or not you'll be able to safely park/store the coach at your house (or where ever you intend to park it.)

More than a few have purchased coaches only to realize it won't fit in their driveway, over their curb cut, into their storage unit, etc.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
PKI

And - then there is the length that works with your RV travel lifestyle. In addition to the length, you will have width for parking with slides out and travel with them in. But our primary concern is rig height. Lots of residential trees grow down and are difficult to negotiate on city streets. Not sure why folks want longer than the 33AA, but those 45s keep rolling down the road.

Caution, some states will require a higher class driver license for a big/heavy coach. Check before you jump.

Caution, those non-truck stop fuel stations can be tight. Use a spotter if you must fuel in a tight situation.

Caution, measure your coach as published dimensions always have an exception - antenna height, ladder clearance, extension of the four down tow bar in storage position.

Caution, investigate the cost of license, sales tax, insurance, storage, gear, repairs and maintenance. Knowledge is the power you need to succeed.

Caution, Long coaches are not allowed on some roads. California has a Bus map.

Recommendation - find what you want and figure out if you can afford it. Then decide if it works for your travel and destination objectives. The RV decision process is a spiral. As you make one decision, it will bring up a new question. That may adjust the first decision. As you get closer to the final, it will all get firmer in your mind. You may change your mind later, but this is now. Go with it.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin