Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Tiffin mpg with toad & safetplus

Hi, we are new to the iRV2 forum. We recently purchased a 2020 Allegro Red 33 model. Plan on using an '18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for our toad. Would like to hear your MPG if your using this same model jeep. We know there are various factors related to MPG, however, we would like to see these numbers to estimate a long distance trip. Secondly, have any of you attached the SafeTPlus steering stabilizer to your coach or is it really necessary for these new coaches? TIA.
GetRDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

I don't have a diesel, but have been rving several years now. If you keep your speed on the interstate no higher than 65 miles an hour, you will probably get 10 mpg pulling the wrangler. With my gas V10 pulling a Jeep Liberty I think I'm getting 8 mpg. My real gauge is the fuel tank and never getting below 1/4 tank. Your diesel will probably have a 600 to 700 mile range. Anyway have fun. Dave

I forgot - I do have the safe-t-plus and if you blow a tire or get in heavy wind you'll be glad you have it.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
KJR

We have a 2019 Red 37pa. We only have about 3500 miles on it. The last time I filled up I calculated the mpg from fuel pumped and mileage. We tow a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S. It came out to 9.9 mpg. Route was from Hurricane, Ut where we topped up to Zion NP. Then from Zion to Cattail Cove SP on Lake Havasu via Las Vegas. Then we moved to Buckskin Mtn SP near Parker, AZ. We then went back to Hurricane, Ut. Refueled at Hurricane to calculate the mileage. I drive about 60 mph.

We don’t have a Safe T Plus. The longer wheelbase of the 37pa seems to drive well even in crosswinds encountered so far.

I would think your Red 33 could do a little better mpg since it’s not as heavy.

Have fun.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Mileage Comments

My prior motorhome was a 2013 Fleetwood Excursion with a 300 HP Cummins. It is similar to the RED. We towed both a Geo Tracker (nice light car) and a newer Jeep Cherokee. My records show I got about 10.7 MPG overall which I thought was pretty good. The computer showed me getting 11.0, so I got a little less than the computer showed.

We now have an Allegro Bus 37AP with a 450 HP Cummins. This is a way heavier coach and the mileage seems even lower than it should be. We tow a Jeep Cherokee (not a Grand Cherokee). We have about 15,000 miles on it, so it may not be fully broken in yet. I track both the computer mileage (that most people don’t trust), as well as the actual fuel pumped and miles driven. Note that the generator and the AquaHot both draw fuel from the diesel tank also. However, we are generally in RV parks with shore power and rarely use either the gene or the AH diesel enough to alter the mileage.

I am a very conservative driver and aware of my MPG while I drive. I tried driving 55 mph (since I live in CA and that’s the max speed for towing) but this sometimes doesn’t shift from 5th to 6th. I find that 59-61 is a better speed for mileage. Going over 65 seems to lower the mileage. My overall mileage is 7.6 MPG and the computer shows me at 7.2. So I’m getting a little better than the computer indicates.

I suspect that Tiffin put an air filter with too much restriction for the engine since the “filter minder” vacuum gauge reads half even with a brand new air filter. Less restriction should mean greater boost pressure and more power and better mileage. At least that’s what I think.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

I tow a 1997 jeep tj with my 2013 33AA red most of the time with or without the jeep same mpg 9.5 i installed the safe-t-plus and it really made driving mush more fun... George
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #6

I tow a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited behind my 2019 Allegro 45 Bus at 65mph mostly and average between 7.5 to 8 mpg. Fairly good for a bus. Brake buddy system towing with OX system.
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #7

RED 33AA towing a Sentra

While driving on the highway, typically at 62 mph, we get better than 10 mpg. The combined mileage is just under 10 mpg when figuring in the start/stop driving in town. It also includes the fuel used by the generator set. Overall it's doing what we expected.

The Safe-T-Plus should be a standard feature. It saved us from an accident when we were forced off the pavement in a construction zone. Not loosing control when negotiating the 6+" drop was amazing.
Dzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #8

We have 2019 Allegro Bus AP37. We just came from Florida towing a Jeep Rubicon Unltd . Towing we getting 8.7 mpg. With the independent front suspension and proper tire pressure, I haven’t felt the need for the Safe-T-Plus.
gkaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Great mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaldor View Post
We have 2019 Allegro Bus AP37. We just came from Florida towing a Jeep Rubicon Unltd . Towing we getting 8.7 mpg. With the independent front suspension and proper tire pressure, I haven’t felt the need for the Safe-T-Plus.

So how many miles are on your Bus? (I'm assuming it's really a 37AP like mine) What speed do you generally cruise? How did you compute the 8.7 MPG, or when did you read the computer?
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #10

Our bus has over 10k miles . I drive between 64 to 68 mph. This also includes running the aqua hot and generator at times.
gkaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Little faster than most

I keep up with the trucks about 70-75mph and tow a jeep grand on a Alluma 18ft trailer. 2020 BA RED with 360hp. Averaging about 10.5 real hilly areas and 12 in the real flats. Trailer tires are way cheaper that SUV tires. Plus if I change rides or use my truck I don't have to buy and install another hitch setup or worry about if it is flat tow capable. The key for me is finding the sweet spot monitoring the current MPG and knowing the gear your in.
sneakycu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakycu2 View Post
I keep up with the trucks about 70-75mph and tow a jeep grand on a Alluma 18ft trailer. 2020 BA RED with 360hp. Averaging about 10.5 real hilly areas and 12 in the real flats. Trailer tires are way cheaper that SUV tires. Plus if I change rides or use my truck I don't have to buy and install another hitch setup or worry about if it is flat tow capable. The key for me is finding the sweet spot monitoring the current MPG and knowing the gear your in.
That has to be a world record. Call Guinness!
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Banks Tuner

I had Banks Diesel Tuner used by the Freightliner shop by me put in the computer as well as I use fuel booster and different air filter. Also use the ECO mode when ever possible. Loss of power with the eco mode but way better gas millage. That is what I am getting since then. Was getting just under 9 when I first bought it. Lot better than the 5.3 in the Class C gasser I had.
sneakycu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #14

I hope Sneaky has good brakes. Dave

Tags
tiffin, toad