Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #1

Tiffin, no better than the rest

So we’ve got a mouse problem. While looking behind drawers, compartments etc I am again disgusted with Tiffin quality or actually no quality. I’ve posted other shortcomings before but today we’ve picked up probably 2 dozen bolts and screws and the most disappointing today was the HDMI extenders laying next to the front furnace. These things were so hot they couldn’t be handled. This is just don’t give a damn quality. If your paying extra for the Tiffin name your getting screwed as I was.
Ken
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2520.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	353434
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 05:01 PM   #2

I strongly suggest that anyone buying a rig do a factory tour. I checked Tiffin and Thor off of my list after doing a factory tour. Drift toward the back and don't listen to the sale spiel, watch how the workers are putting things together. I also took a tour of Nexus and Jayco. I bought a Nexus because I like their engineering better than Jayco Seneca. but it was close. I do agree that I think Tiffin's quality reputation is not deserved.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
The first time we used our 2020 Tiffin 32SA a large bolt that was under our L shaped couch scratched two tiles that had to be replaced. I couldn't find a bolt that came loose so it appeared to be one just lying on the floor under the couch.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:08 AM   #4

Welcome to the world of RV's. Might be a reason to buy something 1-3 years old, because someone else has already found the beginning problems.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #5

Quality went away when Bob stepped aside and let his sons make choices based on profit.

The kids tried 5th wheel development on their own but did not make a reasonable go of it.

Just my 2 cents

: Note California says my opinion may cause cancer if you have a rat brain and believe politicians.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin is better than some, no better than others. Just for information, those HDMI extenders run hot without being next to the furnace. Mine are under a drawer no where near a heat source and they got very hot. Three of them have burned out and had to be replaced. The J-Tech replacements I found operate much cooler. I also found that by turning off the Entertainment 120v circuit breaker it kills all power to the HDMI converters and the front TVs when it's in storage.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Tiffin is better than some, no better than others. Just for information, those HDMI extenders run hot without being next to the furnace. Mine are under a drawer no where near a heat source and they got very hot. Three of them have burned out and had to be replaced. The J-Tech replacements I found operate much cooler. I also found that by turning off the Entertainment 120v circuit breaker it kills all power to the HDMI converters and the front TVs when it's in storage.
I’m aware they run hot, all the more reason not to be installed 3 inches from a hot heater. Thanks for the information about the HDMI extenders though.
Ken
Old 01-11-2022, 06:13 AM   #8

I have found that their wiring in general lacks discipline and is very sloppy. Wires hanging in the basement, laying in clumps behind panels and most recently I found the water heater controller hanging by its wires on the side of the water heater. I previously had an older Newmar, the wiring was a bit better but not perfect either. I also recently heard of someone who bought a new Prevost Marathon Coach that had the bathroom door fall off on the trip home from picking it up at the manufacturer. Not sure any are perfect, but if I didn’t do any of my own work repairs would likely price us out of the game.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:18 AM   #9

Actually, what Tiffin has always done a good job with is taking care of the customer after the sale.

That is not the same as having excellent QC.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Actually, what Tiffin has always done a good job with is taking care of the customer after the sale.

That is not the same as having excellent QC.
Exactly, imagine how great it would be if it was done right in the first place. One thing Tiffin does that I haven’t seen on my other RVs is the way they label the individual wires. It still didn’t stop 2 wires that I know of from being connected wrong.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
What really amazes me is that virtually all of the factory defects I've seen on the two RVs we've owned (2018 Jayco Melbourne and 2019 Tiffin RED 33AA), and all of the problems on delivery that are reported in these forums, could have been easily identified in a post-production inspection. So does Tiffin and other manufactures simply not do post-production inspection, or is it done and simply ignored? It would surely be less expensive for the manufacturer to repair defects before the unit leaves the factory.
KenTep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #12

My sons best friend works for an RV dealer here in Montana. They have hundreds of units on the lot at any given time. His job is to finish what the factory refuses to. The factories simply send out unfinished RV's and it's up to the dealers to find the errors. His stories about the crap being sent out from the factory are hilarious.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Took the “tour” a few years ago. I have come to realize that wiring for almost all manufacturers are a mess. the next installed item is just being stuffed into the same space with no attempt to make it neat. Cable too long ? Just bunch it up and stuff it in. Do that with several items in the same area and it’s a mess.
Tiffin from what I’ve heard is responsive to fixes if you drop by Red Bay. Good on them!
Since several different manufacturers tours a few years ago if I were to rate the manufacturers “floor” ….Tiffin organization and clutter came out at the bottom of what I saw at that time, by a long shot. Buying any new coach from any manufacturer today I’d spend a few days cleaning up the disorganized mess with some zip ties because I’m just that way. Most would never look or care , at least until they had a problem. Probably why it isn’t a priority to spend labor hours doing it neatly.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I took my 2020 Tiffin Open Road 32sa to the factory twice after having it to two different dealers to have the rear camera issue fixed. The dealer fixes and first factory visit did not fix the problem with the rear camera going in and out periodically. On the second visit to the factory the repair person said oh i will fix this in about five minutes with a popsicle stick. I ask what he was going to do and he said I am going to put a popsicle stick across the rear camera connection under the dashboard and tape it to both sides of the connection and I guarantee this will fix it. He then said I have fixed hundreds of them using this method. I said why don't you tell the production people about the fix so they could use better connectors and he said I have but nothing changes so I keep taping the popsicle stick across the connection. It seems the quality culture at RV manufacturers is light years behind many other industries.

Tags
tiffin