Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Experience

I own a Newmar Canyon Star that was purchased new in 2016 and have had nothing but problems with it since the day I bought it. Initially, it was slide adjustments and a zillion minor things to repair or replace. On the major item side, thank God I bought the extended warranty because the dealer has replaced an AC unit, transfer switch, inverter, the fireplace, and central vac and I am now on the third transfer switch and inverter. In addition, all of my thermopane windows are fogging. On the positive side, I had Sumo Springs and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer added and the RV drives better than any that I have road tested. The fit and finish of the exterior and interior is absolutely excellent so my gripe is more with the aftermarket component providers than Newmar.

I am ready to trade the RV in and am thinking of purchasing a 2020 Tiffen 36LA because the Tiffen owners that I've spoken with in RV parks all rave about their Tiffens, especially because of the customer service that Bob Tiffen provides when necessary.

My question is (and I have a similar post on the Newmar site) has anyone had as many problems with as many of their Tiffen class A RV components as I have had with my Newmar?
Jn1edosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The aftermarket parts for Mhs are made by a very few vendors and most likely you’ll find them in all MHs. The only difference may be in the models selected by the Mh manufacturers. Usually the lower the cost of their Mh, the lower grade of vendor parts installed.
We own a 2018 Tiffin bus and so far we have replaced a complete bedroom slide out mechanism, DEF tank sensor, jack solenoid, Spyder panel, Tri Mark lock control, PTL front door recall and a few other minor repairs, all on Tiffin’s dime. All parts made by vendors.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
No manufacturer is trouble free. They push these things out the factory door fast to meet demand & QC is what suffers.

I think it's a roll of the dice. I feel it all depends on how "on the ball" the workers were when the RV came down the line coupled with whether or not the components coming from external mfrs had the same on the ball workers on their assembly lines. The Holy Grail is to have all those groups be on their game & a relatively trouble free RV get sent out.

We're quite happy with our Phaeton we bought used. We're still finding some issues that'll be fixed over time & others we'll just live with.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #4

2019 36ua experience

Our Tiffin is 9months old and 4000 miles. I’ve found 2 wires reversed, ac fan and tv repeater. 3 water leaks all in one area under a sink( poor crimping probably from same worker). Wall paper coming off in a couple areas. Back up camera no longer comes on with shift in reverse.
With all these problems in a short time I’m still very happy with it, I expected better.
We came from Fleetwood products and I can tell you with our last Fleetwood issues the Tiffin seems far and away superior. Tiffin parts and service reps have been very helpful and send replacement parts immediately.
Ken
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #5

We have had our 32SA for a little over a year now and to date, only the follow has been a repair needed: On delivery had a bad slide solenoid leaking (slide would go in, then creep out about an inch). This was fixed on the lot before we left. Laundry hamper slide rail broken on pullout, fixed at dealer. Lift assist on bed storage locked up and broke off portion of bed platform - dealer repaired both. These were all fixed under warranty at Beaver Coach Sales with no hassle. The one item that plagued us for months was the generator. Sometimes it would not start and you really had to fuss with it. Finally got it repaired by an Onan certified mobile repair person as it turned out to be the electric shutoff valve on the carburetor intermittently failing. This was also repaired under warranty. think it is like others have said - its the luck of the draw. Some people get a rig, drive it off the lot and never have to do anything but normal maintenance, while others end up with a "shop queen". Based on my experience, I wold not hesitate to purchase another Tiffin as both the manufacture and dealer have stood with the product.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton bought new from the dealer floor. Had trouble with the smart wheel/windshield wipers and a slide adjustment, but that’s about it. I think it’s more about it being built and what components are installed on a Monday or a Friday. [emoji2371][emoji16]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
KJR

We are full timers for 2 1/2 years. We decided to transition from our 25' Airstream travel trailer to a motorhome last year and we ordered one of the last 2019 Red 37pa last year and took delivery in July 2019. We have 8000 miles on it traveling from Mississippi to Arizona and back to Red Bay where I am now for warranty work.

No major issues that prevent travel.

Here is my list of items I'm having addressed at Red Bay:

Front furnace burner cycles on/off every couple of minutes. Resolved by changing out high limit switch and adding 4th duct under kitchen sink. Furnace now runs without cycling burner.

Spyder system cycles off furnace or heat pump 1 deg below set temperature. Contacted Spyder and they created an RSI-9 board update which Tiffin has installed which works now by cycling off 1 deg over set temperature. Perfect.

Water pump replaced due to "bumping" after pressurizing. New pump doesn't bump after pressurized.

Kitchen/dinette slide seal detached at top. Resolved

Water tank leak from leaking overflow elbow on tank. Tiffin resealed.

Rear wardrobe wall board seam detached. Resolved

Interior DS living room slide corner seam not aligned with adjunct wall in recliner corner. Tech applied matching seam tape to cover gap over gap between wallboard and underlying wall.

Two cabinet doors replaced due to handle holes not drilled correctly

Bedroom wall corner loose. Secured.

Entry step rubber cover replaced.

Rear DS slide rubber seal adjusted.

Front left rear fender loose and secured.

Some rivets on slide corner trim places popping out. Replaced

Residential fridge damper door mechanism replaced, torn door seal replaced.

DS living room slide rollers rattle when driving. Tech stated the rollers if adjusted down too much could affect slide operation and mark floor. Advised placing two mats under the rear and front roller. Something I'll have to live with but seems a workable solution.

Electric fireplace heater failure. Waiting for bay to have fireplace replaced/repaired

Front door entry step cover hangs up when retracted. Waiting for bay to get it adjusted.

Refrigerator left french door needs to be realigned with other door.

That is the end of my list. One item that is working but I don't like is the Furrion stove top. The design doesn't allow three pots to be used even though it has three burners. The rubber grommets that the grates rest on don't last long where the pins of the grates insert into the grommets. I contacted Furrion and they sent me a couple of sets of these grommets.

Quality of carpet used on slides, under dinette, on top of doghouse and bedroom in the Red models are low quality. We use rugs and custom made slide overlays made from Berber carpet remnant to cover as must original carpet to reduce wear and keep clean. I made templates and had Nichols Custom in Red Bay cut the remnant carpet and add trim along the edges.

I had to reinforce all the drawer slides with extra screws.

Other than these issues we are still enjoying living full time in our 37pa. The coach is a nice compromise in features, price and size. We looked at Newmar also and didn't like the floorpans as much and found the included furniture uncomfortable.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think one must differentiate between coach manufacturer made components, vendor made components, and integration.

We have a Tiffin Phaeton. The build quality and fit and finish are quite good. Most failures have been vender made components.

The Tiffin tech support has been exceptional.

If I were in the market for another coach, it would be a Tiffin.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Also remember, these units are comparable to a home being in an earthquake the entire time they’re road bound. Things will shake loose and always need inspected, tightened, and adjusted. We’re extremely pleased with our Phaeton’s earthquake ruggedness.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

Tiffin

On our third Tiffin, Red, Phaeton and now Bus. Yes there are issues but mostly minor and it helps if you are mechanically inclined to do things on your coach. I think the best thing about the Tiffin line is the Tiffin name and their continued support for their customers. 12 years with Tiffin coaches and I have never had to repair, or replace anything that Tiffin manufactures. A TV, a front shade motor, a Step motor, a clothes drier control board and a 360 HD OTA antenna.
DO these rolling homes require a good PM, yes they do. I doubt many read each provided manual that comes with the products installed on their coach. If they did and followed the preventative maintenance guidelines they would find many care free miles of travel and less headaches.

Stay Safe
Old 05-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I own a Tiffin but have always been a Newmar fan too. I can't say enough good things about our Tiffin, great to work with, good quality. My only real issue with Newmar is the merger stuff, not sure how that plays out. I wish we started with a Tiffin...
Old 05-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

We just purchased a Tiffin and it will be in the shop at least 3 weeks out of the 6 we’ve own it. I’ve contacted Tiffin a number of times on minor issues and they were awesome walking me through the fixes. Day one I had a hydraulic leak in one of my leveling jacks so it was back in service day two for a week. My punch list is lengthy but I think it all comes down to your dealer and who handles the warranty. I read all the time, “take it to Red Bay”, but that’s not realistic for most owners. My current punch list includes minor adjustments that should have been caught before delivery, another hydraulic leak in a leveling jack, awning that doesn’t work, a shower that leaks, the auto leveler not working and a exterior frig door that just fell off. Also, the basement doors need alignment. I believe this is just the price of entry into owning a MH. Tiffin seems to be better than others, but it still comes down to the servicing dealer. Tiffin is great when you contact them and I believe better than other models overall.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #13

putting a list of options for a 2021 34PA for a quote from the local Tiffin dealer. Anything
that you would suggest I definitely should add but more importantly what you wouldn't recommend. Plan to travel a lot and would like your thoughts on any power or noise issues.
okbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #14

Ordered a 2020 Tiffin Allegro RED and picked it up in December. I am leaving Red Bay tomorrow after experiencing their customer service first hand. We had about 12 issues, mostly minor, but a leak that made us shift plans and get here ASAP. Our RV went into the bay this morning at 7am, we then spent about 20 minutes walking through each issue on our list. At lunch we returned and many of the items were already fixed. We did speak to the technician when he returned from lunch, then let him get back to work. We picked up the RV around 3 when they close.

Without any hesitation he replaced items that were easier to swap out instead of trying to troubleshoot and fix. He also explained everything, showed us what he did, and then asked if we had any questions.

We stayed in Tiffin's "campground" for 6 nights for free (we are under warranty), all our work was free, and I feel much happier to experience superior customer service. As many Tiffin owners attest to, it is their customer service that sets them apart from other brands.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin