Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Phaeton Roof Band Cracks

We have a 2008 Phaeton which is showing hundreds of hairline roof cracks around the perimeter. During research I found that several years of production have this construction defect. Ken Neal of Tiffin Customer Service has denied any assistance claiming it is "out of warranty" yet they will fix a crack on one of the slides. They have been fixing other units. Does anyone have some advice here before it gets ugly.
Thanks much
Sophie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

This a well known issue many/most of us have had to deal with. Tiffin was taking care of this issue for a certain number of years after in service date ( 6 yrs I think ) but you could call directly to Bob Tiffin and ask for consideration.
He is a very understanding gentleman if you also are polite in explaining the situation calmly.
There are some repair centers around the country beside going to Red Bay that can fix roof radius by cutting them off and replacing with aluminum rails.

You don't indicate where you are located but if in the Northeast, Ct. Motorcars & Coach in Plainville, Ct does an excellent job. They did ours 3-4 years ago.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #3

Who is Ken Neal, does he work for Tiffin Motorhomes in Red Bay, AL, or a dealer? The reason I ask is I know a lot of people at Tiffin and I've never heard his name. Before calling Bob Tiffin about this, I would contact Tiffin Motorhomes Warranty Manager, Wade Humphries at 256-356-0261 ext 3204 and explain your situation. Be sure to have your VIN handy because he will ask for it.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This issue has been known for a while now. Tiffin warrants it for 6 years from date of purchase.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

Yes well known issue but for most of us ONLY because we read it on TRVN as Tiffin never notified any of us about the problem !! Nor the wet bay , nor the slideout floor. Sure they covered the problem IF as an owner you were very pro-active but I really think it would have appropriate to be notified by tiffin of the potential problems.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Ther has been alot of changes with tiffin as of late...
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Ther has been alot of changes with tiffin as of late...
What kind of changes???
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The Tiffin Rep, Philup Hollingsworth, for Western States, as we are in California, said there are two places in Cali that he has trained to do the repair. Just today, Ken Neal, who was referred to us as the Customer Relations Dept, denied us yesterday, but approved us today if we drive to Redbay Alabama. So, we will have to decide if we can make a trip like that soon.... Thank you so so much for your help...everyone has been so nice.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The rep, Hollingsworth, said they would fix a crack on the side below the rear slide, but not the roof cracks, then after I forwarded that to Ken Neal, he said he would fix them all if we drive to RedBay. Since we are looking at $3300 just for the roof itself, hopefully we can make the trip after my husband retires this year. Then we can check for a few of the other potential problems. Its always something, but we know all people take different care of their rigs, and we have been very proactive with maintenence. It is looking hopeful.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Does anyone know how quickly these cracks spread, as we have just found ours this year doing the yearly wax, one or two large cracks running down past the band. Since they have approved the fix, we cannot drive to Alabama for several months and worry if the problem will advance and cause major damage...
Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Once started the problems grows quickly judging from mine. I discovered a few small spider cracks last summer when waxing. Two weeks later (the coach had not moved from our pad) I went up to check again and the cracks were longer and larger and more of them. At that point, I pulled out my 4" roll of Eternabond tape and covered the rails with that and emailed Don Boyd at Tiffin so it would be on the record. If you do that don't lap it over the roof, stay strictly on the rail edge because when they repair it they cut the rail off of the roof and it will leave a mess on the roof that won't come off. Eternabond is tough stuff. We had planned to go to Tiffin last December but couldn't. We now plan on heading there in August. The Eternabond tape has held up very well so I don't have to worry about water intrusion in the walls. I would strongly suggest that you put some Eternabond up there over all the rails until you can get to Red Bay AL.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #12

I am doing my first wax on our 2010 new to us 38 QBA and have found the dreaded roof edge cracks. Since we did not buy this as a "new" coach I would be prepared to live with the cosmetics of the cracks as they are located far above any sight line, however can I expect they with develop into leaks if I don't make a long long - long trip to have them repaired?

Also is the Factory repair a final "fix" for the issue, as it appears from the correspondence to have continued for a number of model years without being addressed during the "build"
Margarittamobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #13

Tiffin will repair your roof at the factory at no cost to you for 6 years, original owner or not.
jfb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #14

Thanks for the info - I will contact the plant. Since I am 2200 miles away one way- I am still wondering how bad these cracks can get if not attended to.
Margarittamobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, tiffin