Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Well isn’t capitalism just dandy…You make it, you spend it and then you die. Let us not forget quality of life along the way because that way may end sooner than you planned.
RichdlP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Back in 2018 I started looking for a certain year, make, model of class A to replace what I had. I could find it for $55-65K via private party. So I figured I would wait two years and it would be in my pay cash for it range. Then Covid hits. That model jumped to $80-90K! Last November I got our current rig. Now I see them listed for $20K more than I paid. I've got a Chrysler Pacifica I bought used 2 years ago that is now worth more than what I paid for it. I hear it is only going to get worse... I almost needed a second on my house to replace my redwood fence!!!
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #31

If anyone thinks pricing is going to drop when inflation goes back down, they are dreaming.
Companies are raising prices due to fuel but they forget they did that 10 years ago and they never lowered their rates when fuel did drop.
So fuel is actually cheaper for now (compared to than)yet pricing going up again.
Do you know how to get them to lower pricing in a capitalistic system? You dont buy it!
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Hope they keep buying…couple years there will be thousands for sale….

Also, hard to get reservations!

We are looking to move. You think RV prices are high!! Housing is ridiculous.

Unbelievable what is going on with product supply, materials and labor. Hard to see what will be the end result in couple years.

Ron
After reading all the responses to my reply to a tiffin owner....my wife and I bought our 1st TV as 29 something kids in 1981 to enjoy on weekends after working long hours in a pittsburgh area Steel Mill....we have owned several over the 49yrs of marriage...our 3 children have seen quite a bit of the east coast but appon our retirement in 2012 we purchased a 40ft deisel pusher motorcoach and hooked our Saburban to it flat towed and became fulltime to see most of the rest of the country...after fulltimeing for4.5 yrs we purchased an Rv Park hooked up our coach and tossed all the other rvers out...3 yrs have passed have become Grandparents 3 times and Sold our coach for more then we paid for it...we've built a cottage right in the middle of our rv park ...lived thru a pandemic and are now just settling in to one 6 acre site here in leon county texas....when i give my opinion on the questions ask I know from experience what I am saying....now ready to sell the rv park and Cottage and relocate closer to our Grandkids....You want your own piece of the rv industry...?...its here in Texas for sale if you got the guts....
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
It does not help that now 2 of the 3 most competitive Tiffin dealers have been bought up by mega-dealer corporations, seriously limiting buyers' options. Expect to see more of this going forward. Same is occurring in the RV Park/Resort business. Look at what has happened to rental rates and "lot" sales prices in the last year. The rush is on to sell the entities before the Biden "progressive" tax policies are instated. Though he had several personal reasons for selling to Thor, I would guess that Bob Tiffin may have saved $30 million by closing his deal in 2020. Good for him, he deserved it.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #34

If I was you I would wait till 2022 Spring, until I would just use my 2018 Red if it was at all possible. Then come 2022 you should be able to get a better deal on what you want. But this is what I would do, It may not work for you.
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #35

I agree with everyone. I wanted a new MH and I don't think I have two or more years to wait. I priced and new MH with all the mentioned dealers and then some. I spent 2 months pricing and then an Allegro club president mentioned Kings RV in WI. John at Kings gave me a price much better than anyone else. All the rest were within a couple of thousand dollars of each other. They know what everybody else is charging. I had even talked to Bob Tiffen and he told me that the 2022s were going up a "little" and I told him the Reps are saying 7-8% and he said he didn't think it would be that much. Tiffin's price on 2022 was 10% higher when released and then they raised them another 10% a month or two later. Newmar raised the 2022s 2% out of the gate. But I can not justify 150 thousand more for a want.
dennisajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it was a very slow market. Would you take advantage of of the lopsided supply/demand curve??

Also, this supply shortage is making it much more expensive to manufacture in at lease four ways. Material cost are up, labor cost to build and set-aside then finish later, quality problems because procedures & processes are interrupted do to shortages, and last with the extended manufacturing time from start to finish inventory carrying cost has greatly increased.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #37

I just returned to Oregon after traveling all the way to Georgia to buy a used 2011 from a private party. Everything I found on the Left Coast was either sold before I got to it or trashed. I spent a month and a half getting it serviced and suitable to bring back across the country, but while in Red Bay getting things taken care of I noticed a yard with probably 150 coaches sitting around. Upon inquiry I found out that those were new coaches sitting dead lined because Tiffan can’t get the last few parts they need to ready them for sale or to ship to dealers. [Mod Edit]
Mothers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
We are currently shopping for a Tiffin Bus and as we price the rigs we like, the prices are going up as high as $50,000 more within weeks. It seems to me that the current supply and demand system of pricing is at a point where all involved are taking advantage of the consumer. The manufacturers are raising their prices to what appears to be a disproportional level and the dealers are following suit by giving significantly lower discounts. At the same hand, they offer rock bottom prices for trade-ins, and sell them for unusually high margins. I hope that other consumers experiencing this, are letting the dealers know how we feel about this and that things will shift in the supply and demand balance if they continue. I for one, am at that point of abandoning our prospective purchase due to their greed. If you feel the same, please voice your opinion, and if you disagree, please let us know why.
Capitalism built this country, and you are apparently advocating for a different economic system now? (I am a consumer, not a dealer.) But I expect my dealer to make as much profit as he can, so he is there for me when I need parts, service, or a new RV.
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimheiner View Post
Capitalism built this country, and you are apparently advocating for a different economic system now? (I am a consumer, not a dealer.) But I expect my dealer to make as much profit as he can, so he is there for me when I need parts, service, or a new RV.
Dealers will increase prices until they become high enough that consumers will not purchase (law of supply and demand). As long as there are people who will pay the high prices, dealers will continue to raise prices to maximize profit. I do not blame them for it, that is capitalism and how free market economies work. The pendulum will swing the other way eventually and only those who are in a stable financial footing will be able to afford an RV when the economy worsens and dealers will once again give larger discounts (when supply exceeds demand).
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #40

We traded our Tiffin , and went back to a 5th wheel as we are traveling less , we are fulltimers and we ordered our 5th wheel , it was just easier to trade than trying to sell it outright and trying to coordinate everything , could we have gotten more money for it selling it outright ? Absolutely . But 3 yrs of living in it full time the wear was starting to show a little , and with less travel maintenance still had to be kept up regardless of miles driven , then there was the unreliability of the DEF heads and wondering if the next trip was when it would fail . Now we have a new truck and 5th wheel less costly and when the truck needs service it goes easier , compared to packing up the whole house and going for service or repair , do we miss the coach ? Yes we do , but for us the new setup makes more sense
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #41

these high gas prices, especially out west ( $4 to $5) is going to weed out some weak owners. I was going to sell mine and buy another, but decided I really don't need a different rig right now. Going to wait out and see where the chips fall over the next year or so.. I might sell mine and be motorhomeless for awhile..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
We are currently shopping for a Tiffin Bus and as we price the rigs we like, the prices are going up as high as $50,000 more within weeks. It seems to me that the current supply and demand system of pricing is at a point where all involved are taking advantage of the consumer. The manufacturers are raising their prices to what appears to be a disproportional level and the dealers are following suit by giving significantly lower discounts. At the same hand, they offer rock bottom prices for trade-ins, and sell them for unusually high margins. I hope that other consumers experiencing this, are letting the dealers know how we feel about this and that things will shift in the supply and demand balance if they continue. I for one, am at that point of abandoning our prospective purchase due to their greed. If you feel the same, please voice your opinion, and if you disagree, please let us know why.
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfritz View Post
these high gas prices, especially out west ( $4 to $5) is going to weed out some weak owners. I was going to sell mine and buy another, but decided I really don't need a different rig right now. Going to wait out and see where the chips fall over the next year or so.. I might sell mine and be motorhomeless for awhile..
Or at 73 maybe forever, sit out back at home and look at the beautiful water!

Tags
tiffin