Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

Tiffin Quality Control

Has the quality control gone out the window at Tiffin? Particularly at the Wayfarer plant. I see so many posts from people with brand new coaches that have a long list of problems and issues. Maybe they did not send any experienced people over to work at the new plant? Tiffin could quickly loose it's reputation for producing a quality product if they don't shape up soon. Apparently they are not checking all working parts at all.

How many of you have had quality issues on a new coach? How many have had zero issues?
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorvette View Post
Has the quality control gone out the window at Tiffin? Particularly at the Wayfarer plant. I see so many posts from people with brand new coaches that have a long list of problems and issues.
Exactly where are you getting this information? I went through two months of posts and saw only one complaint and that was about the Wayfarer Spyder system.

Yes, we have had a few minor issues with ours but I defy you to name one brand of motor home that has zero problems. Even the million dollar rigs can have issues because these are complicated machines built by humans.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
you have to remember that most of the people that post on here have problems, the people w/o problems usually don't post. out of all the coaches built there are very few problems and most are with vendor parts which the m.h. builders have no control over.
alv3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Builders do have control where they source components .

Left to the vendor they would keep making junk at a higher price, the builder can demand a better quality product.

Allow me to post an example: washing machine / drier.

I have read here and other sites the pre-2018 MH i have in my sig. washing machine is plagued by all sorts of problems, mine has been trouble free so far !

So in closing builders have the muscle to demand better products, they choose not to.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

just spent 10 days at the tiffin service center in red bay. It wasnt pretty ! Way too many new coaches with huge lists of needed repairs and I'm talking new right from the dealer. Actually it was pathetic. Yes I know all manufacturers have problems. On my 3 tiffin and 9th mh so not my first rodeo.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Not just on this site! We belong to several Tiffin blogs. I am referring to the Wayfarer specially here. Just trying to get some feed back... not looking to argue with anyone!
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
trying to get a noise in the side wall resolved in our Wayfarer at the moment, went back to Wayfarer plant for repair last month, [4,000 miles away] still has noise and getting worse, no solution in sight yet, a paint problem on front bumper, also had spyder system problem in the beginning, and a few M/B problems, that is not Tiffins fault and they put me in touch with M/B rep who was very helpful
So not really a lot of issues just a unresolved problem.
Magna #6225
42 Resort 505
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

2017 AH
3 Carefree awnings
3, now to be corrected 4 tail light replacements because of poor fit and or falling out
Front generator slide unit off center (still)
Schwintek slide gear
House water pump
Toilet water valve/seal leak
Sliding window latch
Driver window roller night shade
Loose backsplash in kitchen and bathroom
*Dealer installed solar panels not connected, discovered during boondock trip.

Other than that we like the coach.....

2016 Grand Cherokee Summit
jagbuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
2018 45OPP Purchased 4/30/18
1 windshield loose at top, water pours in
2 Cannot fuel from right, filler tube too long, has bend
3 clearance lights over windshield have gaps, factory tried to fill with silicone, what a mess
4 Right mirror head will not stay in place, adjusted over 10 times, bent Allen wrench
5 Passenger seat arm won’t adjust
6 Squeaky dinette table
7 Right fender over tandem missing rivet, floppy
8 Bay door left front behind tire leaking
9 Cables on doors over vanity sinks broke.
10 Left fridge door retainer at top fell off
11 Left turn and backup bulbs reversed, fixed self
12 ceiling light fixture lens stripped, sent new one, R&R fixed self
13 Xite dock unit failed, R&R fixed self
14 Entrance door opening when going down road, remove & adjust striker, fixed self

I disabled Mobile Eye feature that when someone cut in front of coach it turned off the cruise control and because I always have engine brake on it would engage engine brake at same time as it turned off cruise.
Had Cummins program the engine brake to engage anytime the speed was 4 mph over cruise setting when on a grade. Set to engage any time throttle was released and disengage at 12 MPH. Charged about 1 hr labor and I used my Cummins Power Club and saved 10%
Here is link to Cummins parameters
https://tinyurl.com/ydydx8og
OhioWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Has the quality control gone out the window at Tiffin? Particularly at the Wayfarer plant. I see so many posts from people with brand new coaches that have a long list of problems and issues. Maybe they did not send any experienced people over to work at the new plant? Tiffin could quickly loose it's reputation for producing a quality product if they don't shape up soon. Apparently they are not checking all working parts at all.

How many of you have had quality issues on a new coach? How many have had zero issues?
We have a new 2018 Wayfarer (about three months now) and have experienced: the main rubber weather stripping up the side of the side slide keeps slipping down, the diesel generator kept stopping (the hoses for fuel were not correctly installed, there was rust under the "A" frame on both sides of the windshield, the outside storage door at the rear on the passenger's side will come open when going down the highway (three times now), we drove through heavy rain and had water enter the outside TV compartment and almost all of the outside storage compartments, we have to take a hose inside and spay it into the toilet in order to flush the black tank properly, the cover on the front fan will open on it's own at highway speeds for some reason, and we have a very low water flow with the cold water with the flow being a little better with the hot water, and water leaks from the kitchen sink as the seal between the sink and counter is not complete...........
ARand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #11

And the push is to everyone to only buy American? Good luck.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

I've posted a couple of problems (all minor), but after spending three days at the plant watching them build my own Wayfarer unit I can personally affirm they are built VERY well and with detailed inspections every step of the way.

I can also tell you that when my unit was being built two competing units were rolled in next to the line and everybody on the factory floor took great delight in identifying and taking inventory of all their defects and noting all the shoddy workmanship. I took a tour of both myself and my jaw dropped at what pieces of junk they were. Comparing them to the Wayfarer was like comparing a used Yugo to a brand new Mercedes.

My dealer has a similar experience as folks tour the different C Class units they have on the lot. They cannot keep the Tiffin Wayferers in stock as that is the unit folks want to purchase as they see the vast difference in materials used and the superior build quality.

Any other questions I can help you with?

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin