Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #1

Tiffin quality - recent production

I hear so much about quality issues with new RVs, in general not Tiffin specific. I will be picking up a new unit at the end of October and I must say I am worried. The extremely low unemployment rate in Indiana and in Red Bay, AL is a big issue for the manufacturers. I would like to hear from you if you picked up a new unit in the last 3-4 months. Please either reply here or send me a private message. I am not sure I would order a new unit now if I did not have an order in place already.
soarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last new RV I purchased was in 2006 and would not purchase new. The hit on depreciation is a killer. I always buy used now as all the bugs are generally out of them. That is not to say there are not minor things to fix as there usually are.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Happy with quality- 2021 Allegro Bus 45OPP

We have had our 45OPP for several months now and are surprised and pleased with the overall quality of the coach. This will be our 10th rv and 2nd Allegro Bus. We were used to having several pages of repair items on previous other brands but not so on our new 45 OPP. We have a total of six cosmetic items that we would like to get fixed. All systems work well. The coach has the best road manors of any of our previous models which include Monaco Dynastys and Newmar Mountain Airs. The swivel tag axle will make folks believe that you actually know how to turn and back in at crowded campsites. Storage is more than any other coach on the market. Technical help with questions or parts are just a phone call away. Chassis Manager for Tiffin (Gary Harris) has answered our questions personally and sent us individual wheel weights taken before our coach was delivered. Makes us feel as if we have a technical crew just standing by if we encounter any glitches. We are old time RVrs (over fifty years of RVing and we know there will be glitches.) Go Camping , Stay Safe.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneville1 View Post
We have had our 45OPP for several months now and are surprised and pleased with the overall quality of the coach. This will be our 10th rv and 2nd Allegro Bus. We were used to having several pages of repair items on previous other brands but not so on our new 45 OPP. We have a total of six cosmetic items that we would like to get fixed. All systems work well. The coach has the best road manors of any of our previous models which include Monaco Dynastys and Newmar Mountain Airs. The swivel tag axle will make folks believe that you actually know how to turn and back in at crowded campsites. Storage is more than any other coach on the market. Technical help with questions or parts are just a phone call away. Chassis Manager for Tiffin (Gary Harris) has answered our questions personally and sent us individual wheel weights taken before our coach was delivered. Makes us feel as if we have a technical crew just standing by if we encounter any glitches. We are old time RVrs (over fifty years of RVing and we know there will be glitches.) Go Camping , Stay Safe.
Thank you, when did you pick up your new Coach?
Old 09-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Picked the new coach up 3/15/21. Also ,failed to mention that so far MPG for 450 HP Cummins is almost one mile per gallon more than our previous Dynasties. Never thought that I would see a true 8 mpg but that is what is showing on digital dash for first 3700 miles on a new tight engine. Have not backed it up with (gallons to full divided by miles driven.) Stay safe.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #6

Picked up new Tiffin

Just picked up a 2022 32SA from Davis on 8/23. I plan to post more details later. One Major problem that Davis could not do at their shop. The main slide is off center and too far to the rear. It is at the end of the adjustment and has to go back to the factory. The rear slide seal tore the first night. That's how close it is. I was 140 miles from Red Bay and was driving back to Northeast Ohio with very limited provisions since I flew down. Davis tried to get me into the factory ASAP but no go. It looked like the factory attempted to adjust the slide twice. Evidence was knurl marks from the nuts holding the studs where the adjustment is done. It got shipped anyway. Speaking with Tiffin service I was assured that is would be repaired when I had time to bring it in. I was told that it could not move since it was at the end of the adjustment and go ahead and use it. So far OK. There are a few cabinet doors that may need replaced do to major cosmetic defects, some chipped trim-2 to 3 inches missing. Lots of minor cosmetic wood defects that could have been sanded clean before finishing but how picky are you going to be able to get. I have built some wood items and this would not have passed my inspection. I have not gone over the exterior well yet, but there are areas that could have been sanded better before painting that I have already noticed. Not Tiffin's fault but our Dometic hot water heater quit working 2 days ago.

So should the quality be better? Yes it should. Can I live with the minor defects after the slide and hot water heater are repaired? Probably will have to. I like you read a lot during the purchase period and realized the coach was not going to be perfect. My research prepared me for my disappointments. We looked at a lot of other brands that make Tiffin shine like a star! I think I will be happy with our coach once we get the problems worked out. Unfortunately at my time, expense, and inconvenience.
mikervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #7

Tiffin quality - recent production

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneville1 View Post

Holy Smokes! That’s an incredibly beautiful rig!

But….you really should switch with us…we have ALL the bugs worked out….AND we’ll even throw in a 1997 Sidekick!!

Sound good? [emoji23][emoji41]

Wow…just wow.

Enjoy!

PS: Just noticed you’re in Coco, we’re just down the road from you in ORA of Melbourne Beach…well, we’re actually still in Spokane Wa, but will be heading down pretty soon…getting cold up here now. Safe travels!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. If you are in our area( East Central Florida Area), please give us a shout. We would enjoy the visit. ( kchevy37@ bellsouth.net ) 5145 Fishtail Palm Ave. Cocoa , 32927.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikervet View Post
Just picked up a 2022 32SA from Davis on 8/23. I plan to post more details later. One Major problem that Davis could not do at their shop. The main slide is off center and too far to the rear. It is at the end of the adjustment and has to go back to the factory. The rear slide seal tore the first night. That's how close it is. I was 140 miles from Red Bay and was driving back to Northeast Ohio with very limited provisions since I flew down. Davis tried to get me into the factory ASAP but no go. It looked like the factory attempted to adjust the slide twice. Evidence was knurl marks from the nuts holding the studs where the adjustment is done. It got shipped anyway. Speaking with Tiffin service I was assured that is would be repaired when I had time to bring it in. I was told that it could not move since it was at the end of the adjustment and go ahead and use it. So far OK. There are a few cabinet doors that may need replaced do to major cosmetic defects, some chipped trim-2 to 3 inches missing. Lots of minor cosmetic wood defects that could have been sanded clean before finishing but how picky are you going to be able to get. I have built some wood items and this would not have passed my inspection. I have not gone over the exterior well yet, but there are areas that could have been sanded better before painting that I have already noticed. Not Tiffin's fault but our Dometic hot water heater quit working 2 days ago.

So should the quality be better? Yes it should. Can I live with the minor defects after the slide and hot water heater are repaired? Probably will have to. I like you read a lot during the purchase period and realized the coach was not going to be perfect. My research prepared me for my disappointments. We looked at a lot of other brands that make Tiffin shine like a star! I think I will be happy with our coach once we get the problems worked out. Unfortunately at my time, expense, and inconvenience.
Thank you for the information. The slide issue is a serious problem. The coach should have never left the factory. I guess I would not be prepared for that. Good luck resolving the issue. For something of this magnitude they should provide you with an appointment.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #10

Tiffin quality

Sadly, they had the coach on the back lot for about 6 weeks waiting on seats and could have fixed the slide then. Also my coach was completed on 6/29 but delivery was delayed because of the seats.

I don't know why they don't make appointments. They do have a drop off option and I think first year warranty work gets some kind of priority. Since I am 800 miles away, it would be nice if they would work something out with me. Good luck with your purchase also. This was my 5th RV over 40 years. It is my nicest unit, but so much more frustrating of an experience than the previous 4.
mikervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Sadly, they had the coach on the back lot for about 6 weeks waiting on seats and could have fixed the slide then. Also my coach was completed on 6/29 but delivery was delayed because of the seats.

I don't know why they don't make appointments. They do have a drop off option and I think first year warranty work gets some kind of priority. Since I am 800 miles away, it would be nice if they would work something out with me. Good luck with your purchase also. This was my 5th RV over 40 years. It is my nicest unit, but so much more frustrating of an experience than the previous 4.
This is terrible. They had 30 working days to fix it. This means that no one cared. That is a very sad story. My last RV was Winnebago made in 2012 and I had only one problem with an appliance. That was it nothing else. I am afraid this time it will be different.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
They do have a drop off option and I think first year warranty work gets some kind of priority. Since I am 800 miles away, it would be nice if they would work something out with me.
Let us know how that works out if you are able to do that. I certainly would prefer that too.
RichdlP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:48 AM   #13
Fio

Mikervet, do you have the dometic or the Truma 'instant' hot water heater? I thought they were all Truma in the new Open Roads.

My Truma didn't/doesn't work either. Its the control switch under the sink malfunctioning. Long story short, you can put it bypass mode so it works until you get the switch replaced. I had a bad experience dealing with Truma's 'customer service'. Don't care for the Truma either because their idea of 'instant' hot water is about 5 gallons after you turn the faucet on.

We had a ton of minor items as well (woodwork the same as Mikervet's, seat leather damaged, ceiling fan blades bent down hitting closet door, etc). Nothing like the slideout though.

I didn't want to play games with the dealer, so I drove down to Tiffin (830 miles) and dropped it off on Labor Day. I'm hoping they start on it this week.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fio View Post
Mikervet, do you have the dometic or the Truma 'instant' hot water heater? I thought they were all Truma in the new Open Roads.

My Truma didn't/doesn't work either. Its the control switch under the sink malfunctioning. Long story short, you can put it bypass mode so it works until you get the switch replaced. I had a bad experience dealing with Truma's 'customer service'. Don't care for the Truma either because their idea of 'instant' hot water is about 5 gallons after you turn the faucet on.

We had a ton of minor items as well (woodwork the same as Mikervet's, seat leather damaged, ceiling fan blades bent down hitting closet door, etc). Nothing like the slideout though.

I didn't want to play games with the dealer, so I drove down to Tiffin (830 miles) and dropped it off on Labor Day. I'm hoping they start on it this week.
The question is are they going to be fixing it the same way as they built it or will they actually try to do a quality job? Time will tell.

Tags
quality, tiffin