Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin Recall

Tiffin Motorhomes is recalling its 2011 Allegro Bus and Phaeton recreational vehicles, specifically the ones equipped with Cummins ISX or ISL diesel engines. A clamp that connects critical parts in this engine is held together by a t-bolt, which the company has found may crack or fail due to stress or load over time. If this happens, parts of the engine could become loose or potentially even disconnect completely. The recall work will be done at Cummins authorized dealers around the country, free of charge.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Strange this recall is only on Tiffin. The ISX and ISL are in other manufacturer's motorhomes, unless they just haven't been published as yet.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Tiffin Motorhomes is recalling its 2011 Allegro Bus and Phaeton recreational vehicles, specifically the ones equipped with Cummins ISX or ISL diesel engines. A clamp that connects critical parts in this engine is held together by a t-bolt, which the company has found may crack or fail due to stress or load over time. If this happens, parts of the engine could become loose or potentially even disconnect completely. The recall work will be done at Cummins authorized dealers around the country, free of charge.

Do you know if this recall is going to affect the 2012's Allegro? I am picking mine up today. If this does then I want it fixed before I pick it up.
rcarriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

It doesn't affect Open Roads (assuming that's the model you are getting). Engine is in the wrong end and they are not diesels.

Details can be found here:

TIFFIN PHAETON RECALLS - Auto Recalls for Consumers

While the recall doesn't specific it, I'd think this is on Powerglide chassis models where Tiffin installs and hooks up the engine and associated items. That's why it doesn't effect other brands. Just my guess.
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Looks as though it affects 2012 Phaetons also.
2012 TIFFIN PHAETON RECALL - #11V416000

RECALL FOR ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING : EXHAUST SYSTEM : MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE

TIFFIN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 PHAETON MOTORHOMES WITH FLOOR PLANS QBH, QKH, AND QTH THAT ARE BUILT WITH 2010 EPA-CERTIFIED ENGINES ON POWERGLIDE CHASSIS. THE EXHAUST PIPE IS MOUNTED TOO CLOSE TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE FLOOR.

2012 TIFFIN PHAETON RECALL FOR ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, EXHAUST SYSTEM, MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE PROBLEM #11V416000
Band Aid 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

Does anyone know the recall number for the 2011 Bus? Will Cummins know anything about the recall or do we need to give them the Tiffin recall number for them to learn what it's all about?

I haven't heard anything from Tiffin. I assume they will be contacting their customers!
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal C&H View Post
Does anyone know the recall number for the 2011 Bus? Will Cummins know anything about the recall or do we need to give them the Tiffin recall number for them to learn what it's all about?

I haven't heard anything from Tiffin. I assume they will be contacting their customers!
Click on the link in my first post. On that page go down and open the link to the specific recall. # is there.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
Click on the link in my first post. On that page go down and open the link to the specific recall. # is there.

The link indicated seems to address Phaetons only. Where do I find out about Tiffin Allegro BUS recalls as indicated in sdennislee's origional post?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #9

If you open and read the information it states as follows (Ignore the fact that it states Phaeton in the title):

2011 TIFFIN PHAETON RECALL - #11V485000

RECALL FOR ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

TIFFIN MOTORHOMES IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 ALLEGRO BUS AND PHAETON RECREATIONAL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CUMMINS ISX OR ISL DIESEL ENGINE. THE V-BAND CLAMP ASSEMBLY, PART NUMBERS Q187684, Q187685, AND Q187686, USED TO CONNECT THE INLET AND OUTLET CONE SECTIONS TO THE DIESEL OXIDATION CATALYST (DOC)/DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) INCLUDE A T-BOLT WHICH CAN FRACTURE AND FAIL WHEN SUBJECTED TO STRESS OR LOAD. A FRACTURE OR FAILURE OF THE T-BOLT MAY CAUSE THE CLAMP TO LOOSEN AND THE INLET OR OUTLET SECTIONS ATTACHED TO THE DOC/DPF HOUSING TO DISCONNECT.
Information provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Advertisements
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
If you open and read the information it states as follows (Ignore the fact that it states Phaeton in the title):

2011 TIFFIN PHAETON RECALL - #11V485000

RECALL FOR ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

TIFFIN MOTORHOMES IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 ALLEGRO BUS AND PHAETON RECREATIONAL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CUMMINS ISX OR ISL DIESEL ENGINE. THE V-BAND CLAMP ASSEMBLY, PART NUMBERS Q187684, Q187685, AND Q187686, USED TO CONNECT THE INLET AND OUTLET CONE SECTIONS TO THE DIESEL OXIDATION CATALYST (DOC)/DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) INCLUDE A T-BOLT WHICH CAN FRACTURE AND FAIL WHEN SUBJECTED TO STRESS OR LOAD. A FRACTURE OR FAILURE OF THE T-BOLT MAY CAUSE THE CLAMP TO LOOSEN AND THE INLET OR OUTLET SECTIONS ATTACHED TO THE DOC/DPF HOUSING TO DISCONNECT.
Information provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Advertisements

OK, Thanks. I called cummins and they said that most 2010-2011 ISL & ISX engines would be affected. I already have an appointment to have the clamps changed. They estimate 30-60 minutes.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

That is "NOT" a Tiffin recall. It's a Cummins recall. I'm having the recall performed on my Bus on Tuesday.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca-roni View Post
That is "NOT" a Tiffin recall. It's a Cummins recall. I'm having the recall performed on my Bus on Tuesday.

Maybe, but it does state "TIFFIN MOTORHOMES IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 ALLEGRO BUS AND PHAETON RECREATIONAL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CUMMINS ISX OR ISL DIESEL ENGINE." A bit confusing, but at least Cummins knows what they have to do.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #13

I was at Red Bay three weeks ago. While I was there I asked about the recall because I received it. They told me that they don't do it and that it was a Cummins recall, which my letter stated, and I would have to contact Cummins to get it done.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, tiffin