Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin RED Headlight Bulbs

We have a few month old 2021 Tiffin RED and I just drove it at night for the first time. The ability to light the road, especially the low beams is horrible and I need to fix the problem... immediately. The light level is low and the low beams are very yellow in color, probably 3200K. The bulbs appear to be a 55W H1 in a right angle mount.

Has anyone changed out or upgraded this type of bulbs in your headlights. I would like to get more light and cooler in color temp. I was thinking that going to LED's would give more light without increasing the wattage and stressing the existing wiring.

Please let me know if you have a suggestion for bulbs that would work. Thanks!
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #2

We do not have a new Tiffin nor will bank account let us do so but our last two MH,s have been terrible for headlights at night and I like driving early mornings when traffic is light. First I replaced bulbs with LED's in the 5000K range 6500K is better but was still not enough for what I wanted. I added LED driving light down low [off road types] so as not to blind other drivers and that did the trick for us. I put a switch on the control pad to the left of drivers seat so I could turn off and on at flick of switch.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #3

Do you have the style of headlight where there's a hood over the bulb so when looking at it from the front you can't see the bulb but rather the hood that goes over it?
If so then HID is the best choice and LED won't work very well. I've put these on several vehicles. When you see a car with HID's from the factory the color is 4300K. Anything over 6000K and the light output is less. HID is way better than LED.

JDM HID Xenon Kits 6000K 10000K 12000K
Old 04-19-2021, 07:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Have you tried aiming the headlights? I guarantee that Tiffin did not.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't see any type of hood on the bulb however the low beam has a round glass lens that it shines through. High beam is just a simple rear reflector.

I will try working with the bulbs first, but the fog lights are a great option.

The lights look good on alignment, hit the road straight and about the right distance. They are just dim and very yellow.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Last time I was in Red Bay, I had a guy replace the bulbs in the headlights and replace the fog lights. I can now see the road at night and the fog/driving light combo is much nicer. You can make them white or yellow with driving or fog patterns consistent with the color. IIRC, the cost was about $200 for bulbs and labor. The OEM lights were properly aimed, but were only safe at parking lot speeds. The new lights illuminate the road well at highway speeds. Yes they are street legal.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a 2014 Allegro Bus, and it sounds like Tiffin is still older headlight technology. For example, our MH uses 2010-2015 GM Equinox headlights - halogen. (Too bad, because even our 2007 Infiniti uses HID.)

If you look on the headlight assembly edge, there will be an SAE number. Do a search on that number to see what car/ truck it is used in. That will tell you what bulb you have as well.

If the headlights are yellow color, I would first see if you are getting 12v to them. I've heard that it is a common issue to have low voltage. To fix that, you would need to add a relay with better voltage.

I agree most headlights are not aimed well. Unfortunately, they are not easy to adjust - at least on our MH.

After all those steps, I would replace the bulb with a whiter LED.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post

If you look on the headlight assembly edge, there will be an SAE number. Do a search on that number to see what car/ truck it is used in. That will tell you what bulb you have as well.

Just remove the bulb, it will say right on it what it is.

Tags
headlight, light, tiffin