Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
My understanding is the filters that you describe have very low gpm flows
I think what you need to do it use your filter system to fill your tank
Then use your pump system for normal usage
That way your getting clean filtered water and adequate pressure/flow

I suspect you’d need enormous filters to get the flows you expect
This sounds like the best idea for you in my opinion; you get filtered water and good pressure.
But I drink unfiltered water out of the tap at home, use a simple carbon block filter on the MH and very rarely drink store bought water. That's just me, and not a recommendation for others.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserchrome View Post
Since I started this thread I thought I would jump back in. My comments here refer to me only and how you want to deal with Safe Water is your own business.

I would Never use unfiltered water for anything. Even just washing or brushing your teeth is enough to be of concern to eyes, ears, nose and mouth. So if you think I'm being cautious, you're right. I would rather be cautious than sick. Most of the "Camping Filters" will keep out sand and pebbles but not much else. A lot of them are small in size (for a hose) and around 100 microns with charcoal granuals that let the water pass right through and around, as in why they don't cut down on water pressure... or clean anything either.

I designed to have a 5-10 micron sediment filter to get the big stuff, at least a 1-5 micron charcoal block (solid) to get the crud causing bad taste and color out of the water. Actually if the carbon block goes down to 1-2 microns it will also get most bacteria. If you want to get rid of viruses you have to go smaller... around .1-.2 microns. If you use a larger canister type housing with 2.5"x10" filters there is more surface area for the water to pass through and not nearly as much pressure drop as with the small hose filters.

Again, as an engineer and with a long army career (Central America water) I felt the need to keep my wife, dog and myself as safe as possible. I installed the new system with a 5 micron sediment & rust filter, .5 micron carbon block filter and a .2 micron virus guard. I also use a 1 micron carbon block in the Tiffin water bay as a final filter for the storage tank water.

Am I an over the top nut... maybe, but do I feel much safer... Definitely!

Happy Travels!
I don't blame you, if you do research on Americas water supply you may be shocked. Whatever filter system you go with I would run all drinking water through a Berkey counter top filter, even bottled water.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I don't blame you, if you do research on Americas water supply you may be shocked. Whatever filter system you go with I would run all drinking water through a Berkey counter top filter, even bottled water.
I'm considering installing the "On-The-Go" water softener in our Phaeton. I realize there is a difference between filtering, purifying and softening and also understand quality of the water source has a lot to do with how well any in-line system will work. I'm a retired GEEK, not a chemical or environmental engineer but water safety is a concern for me so I'm interested in any thoughts on such a system. Reviews appear very good and installation relatively simple considering the size of the wet bay.

Thanks!
Sam
Old 12-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting that the Clearsource 3-filter system also uses a coconut shell carbon block filter similar to the Berkey. Hopefully does the job.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post
I'm considering installing the "On-The-Go" water softener in our Phaeton. I realize there is a difference between filtering, purifying and softening and also understand quality of the water source has a lot to do with how well any in-line system will work. I'm a retired GEEK, not a chemical or environmental engineer but water safety is a concern for me so I'm interested in any thoughts on such a system. Reviews appear very good and installation relatively simple considering the size of the wet bay.

Thanks!
Sam

I also have the Double size "On-the-Go" water softener. Works well and my wife swears by it. Washes her hair and it come out "like the beauty shop". Happy wife is happy camping!
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, water