Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin RED Water System

We have the 2021 RED for 10 months now and after 2 trips to Red Bay have almost everything looking good. I feel that my water system still needs help. I currently use a charcoal filter in the Tiffin-supplied canister in the coach. I added a Clear2O sediment filter and water filter combo at the water source (spigot). I think it filters OK at 1 micron, but cuts the water pressure to almost nothing in a very short time. I'm assuming that to be too small a size (capacity).

In reviewing what's out there, I am considering the Clearsource RV three canister Ultra System. It looks more like household size filters and goes down to .2 micron filtration. It looks well made and may be the answer.

I would like to get some input on how well it does on a rig in the real world. We have a washer-dryer and also a dishwasher so we do use a modest amount of water. If you are using one, please give me your thoughts!
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #2

IMO there is nothing wrong with the filter provided by TMH and you can spend a lot of money trying to insure quality drinking water. That being said, I went in a different direction on my current coach. I added a separate 7 gallon tank and pump for drinking water. It is connected to my refer and a spigot that replaced my soap dispenser in the galley. I use only bottled water in that system and have been happy with the results for over two years.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess nobody uses the Clearsource water system. Too bad, it looks like a good system. I'm ordering the Ultra System... can't put a price on clean water and good health.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
IMO there is nothing wrong with the filter provided by TMH and you can spend a lot of money trying to insure quality drinking water. That being said, I went in a different direction on my current coach. I added a separate 7 gallon tank and pump for drinking water. It is connected to my refer and a spigot that replaced my soap dispenser in the galley. I use only bottled water in that system and have been happy with the results for over two years.

This sounds like a great idea. My wife already complains enough about water pressure. I imagine adding more filters will increase the pressure drop. The primary reason for the good quality filtration is for drinking water (and cooking etc.) Do you have any pictures available of your install. This idea is the better option in my opinion. With this option one could avoid all filtration if they wanted. I would still keep one in line filter though I suppose. Interested in your setup. Thanks
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:06 AM   #5

Sorry, no pics, but each coach will be different. I obtained a tank from Amazon that is normally used for food trucks. I was able to install it in place of my slide out trash container. Others may find it easier to install in the basement, under a sofa, or some other cabinet. IMO a filter is not necessary, even for the refer. You will have to decide what works best for your coach.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:15 AM   #6

We use a dual filter system(sediment + charcoal) outside the coach prior to the water softener. Great water inside and water pressure is good.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I always used an external 5 micron sediment, 5 micron charcoal 2 filter setup before the water ever went into the motorhome. I left a 5 micron charcoal in the Tiffin holder. Anything smaller than 5 micron is going to plug very rapidly and leave you with lowered flow rate and pressure.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Since I started this thread I thought I would jump back in. My comments here refer to me only and how you want to deal with Safe Water is your own business.

I would Never use unfiltered water for anything. Even just washing or brushing your teeth is enough to be of concern to eyes, ears, nose and mouth. So if you think I'm being cautious, you're right. I would rather be cautious than sick. Most of the "Camping Filters" will keep out sand and pebbles but not much else. A lot of them are small in size (for a hose) and around 100 microns with charcoal granuals that let the water pass right through and around, as in why they don't cut down on water pressure... or clean anything either.

I designed to have a 5-10 micron sediment filter to get the big stuff, at least a 1-5 micron charcoal block (solid) to get the crud causing bad taste and color out of the water. Actually if the carbon block goes down to 1-2 microns it will also get most bacteria. If you want to get rid of viruses you have to go smaller... around .1-.2 microns. If you use a larger canister type housing with 2.5"x10" filters there is more surface area for the water to pass through and not nearly as much pressure drop as with the small hose filters.

Again, as an engineer and with a long army career (Central America water) I felt the need to keep my wife, dog and myself as safe as possible. I installed the new system with a 5 micron sediment & rust filter, .5 micron carbon block filter and a .2 micron virus guard. I also use a 1 micron carbon block in the Tiffin water bay as a final filter for the storage tank water.

Am I an over the top nut... maybe, but do I feel much safer... Definitely!

Happy Travels!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #9

My understanding is the filters that you describe have very low gpm flows
I think what you need to do it use your filter system to fill your tank
Then use your pump system for normal usage
That way your getting clean filtered water and adequate pressure/flow

I suspect youíd need enormous filters to get the flows you expect
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #10

If you are that concerned with "pure" water, instead of adding all those filters, you may want to look at a Berkey Water Filtration system. https://www.technorv.com/berkey-water-filters/
Casita50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry for the late reply to the thread. Iíve got the clear source ultra 3 canister system and we used it in our canyon star for the entire season. We didít find much degradation of water pressure with it at all. We used it outside of the coach at the tap. I planned on installing it in the bay over the winter, but we went and bought a new coach that Iím picking up on November 12th (Ventana 4334) so I held off. Canít say enough good things about the build quality of the supporting frame for the water filter system though. Definitely solid and no complaints
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry - forgot to add. Was thinking of full coach UV light as well, but I’m on the fence about that until I see the space in the new one.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #13

We have clearsource and really like it. Use rust inhibitor first, then 1 micron then .2 virus guard in motorhome wet bay. Sturdy stand 2 cylinder stand. Water pressure not an issue.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been using the Acuva water system for several years now. I just upgraded to the new Acuva high flow system and we love it. I also added a upgraded 5 micron charcoal filter in the water canister and another clear source inline filter and no problems thus far.
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, water