Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin requires Dealers to drop Good Sam Coverage

We are in the process of buying a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer and the Dealer offered us on our contract Portfolio VSC extended warranty. When I looked them up, I couldn't really find anything about them. I asked them about them, and instead got a response that it is Priority.

I asked for a comparison of Priority and Good Sam's Extended Warranty and they didn't answer that, but did say that Tiffin has made all their dealers drop Good Sam and exclusively use Priority. Does anyone have experience with this? Good Sam has pretty good reviews and there are a lot of facilities--plus, I thought their coverage worked with any RV repair shop.

I would appreciate all thoughts on this. First, it feels like restraint of trade for Tiffin to dictate repair coverage. Plus, it makes me suspicious that they want to drive up the cost of repair for the RV Dealers.

Please respond quickly!! We are buying the Tiffin next week and really like the floor plan.

PS....I googled Tiffin dropping Good Sam and couldn't find any hits.
Reverse62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

Most dealers don’t offer an open market on warranty contracts, they deal with one, or a select few. Priority may be the one for that dealer. Can’t say if Tiffin mandated that one only, however.

Disclaimer: I don’t have much experience with VSC so others will have more insight. I don’t see why you couldn’t contact a warranty company yourself and purchase one without the dealer.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
That line sounds like dealer double talk. I can't imagine Tiffin would care one way or the other who a service policy is carried under since they don't accept any extended policies at their service center. Your best bet is to wait until you first year of bumper to bumper coverage is over then get a policy on your own. If you buy a four year policy through the dealer you are only getting three years of coverage since the first year is factory warranty.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
He is feeding you a line.
Just another overpriced add on.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #5

That sounds suspiciously like they are trying to get you to buy what they sell. If you really want this kind of plan, you don't have to get it from the dealer. You can get Good Sam elsewhere or check out Wholesale Warranties.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

Dealer has a better 'deal' with Priority then with Good Sam

Titin has nothing to do with aftermarket extended warranties service contracts)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Dealer has a better 'deal' with Priority then with Good Sam

Titin has nothing to do with aftermarket extended warranties service contracts)
This...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Remember if the salesmen lips are moving he's lying.....
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:41 PM   #9

When purchasing my coach dealer came back 4 times with lower pricing on a warranty package , even the final time was 10% of purchase price .

I was into my seventh year of ownership, before I spent that much on repairs.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

Tiffin requires Dealers to drop Good Sam Coverage

Itís the company they get the biggest profit from. I bought our coach without one, just shop later if you want an extended warranty at your leisure for what you want.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any concerns about TRUSTING this dealer in the future ???
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN 2021 OPEN ROAD 34 PA Tireminder A1A / SAFE T PLUS, 2002 Jeep Wrangler/-2013 Bounder Classic 34M SOLD, 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #12

see sim racers comments... and others...
my thoughts exactly.

if they lied this openly about this, what else are you depending on them for?
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If, and that’s a big if, you want an extended service contract you absolutely do not want to buy it from the dealer.

This salesman/dealer is lying to you. He’s trying to sell you an addon at high price to make more money from the sale. He’s adding thousands to the “extended warranty’s” cost. If you balk he’ll lower the price. But you still want to say no thanks. He has added so much profit to the contract that even if he drops the price it will still be hugely overpriced.

Be aware, at closing this dealer will also try to sell you many other “must have” items. All of them are overpriced and worthless. Say “no thanks!”

Extended Service contracts are not warranties. They are a type of insurance. They generally have a great many conditions and do not cover things like a factory warranty. Do more research on these before deciding if you want one or not.

There is no hurry. Tiffin gives you a one year warranty. You can buy an Extended Service contract anytime and from many good sellers, such as a company called Wholesale Warranties.

The dealer knows he’s got to pressure you about this or he’ll lose out on a chance to make a couple of thousand extra dollars on your sale.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin really does not care what extended warranty a customer goes with. The dealer cares since they sell their own line of warranty services. Usually at a fair price. You really can't expect a dealer to sell a Camping World product. One thing to consider is where you plan to have your Tiffin serviced. If you plan to utilize the Tiffin Service Center, as we do, they do not honor any extended warranties. Their repair work is at a fair charge. As others have said you can add the extended warranty later unless you are trying to include it in your financing. Just be sure that you really want an extended warranty first. Enjoy your Tiffin.
Coffee Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, dealer, tiffin