Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yes, that was a typo on the amps. 233A would be over the top.

I just got home so I tested to see which batteries control the slides. With the house batteries off & the ignition on, both our electric & hydraulic slides won't work.

I thought it was the chassis batteries because I've not seen a relay labeled with that lockout function.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post

I just got home so I tested to see which batteries control the slides. With the house batteries off & the ignition on, both our electric & hydraulic slides won't work.

I thought it was the chassis batteries because I've not seen a relay labeled with that lockout function.
Proving that it is the chassis batteries answers part of the questions about this subject, THANK YOU!! I appreciate your time and test of that aspect! BUT, if you're on shore power and, in our case, we have the aftermarket trickle charger on the chassis batteries, I'm still assuming the slides pull too much power to operate the slides, therefore the engine should be running??? I'm certain of the answer being yes, engine on! If TRUE, shore power is not helping anyone who own's a Tiffin as it pertains to operating the slides!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
Old 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:

OOOHHH, WAIT, Did I misread what you meant about your test?? HOUSE Batts need to be on Along With The KEY???

So sorry about my confusion....
Old 10-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:

OOOHHH, WAIT, Did I misread what you meant about your test?? HOUSE Batts need to be on Along With The KEY???

So sorry about my confusion....
Old 10-25-2021, 10:58 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
My slides are powered from the house battery's. And yes, the key needs to be turned on. When I plug into shore power, the Magnum immediately starts topping off the house battery's, which is giving me around 13.5v. Plenty good enough for the slides if you don't want to run the engine. But honestly, I don't have issues leveling and deploying slides with just the 12.6v from the house battery's if I feel I need to.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #20

Thumbs up

Quote:
I always have the engine running. Both the electric & hydraulic slides take a lot of power to operate. The electric ones can get confused if you stop them in the middle.

It is just easy to do the jacks & slides while the engine is warming up or cooling down.
Agree. We always have engine running (or hooked up,to shore power) when putting slides out or in. The extra power is needed for the electric slides and the engine needs to cool down/warm up. So slides out, jacks down and engine off. Or engine on, slides in, jacks up.
Saving Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Additional things to keep in mind is to leave a door, window, or fan vent open when opening & closing up the slides. There is a lot of air movement and it will reduce the strain.

On running the engine, if you are setting up after coming off of the road and the motor has not been turned off then the charge solenoid should still be energized connecting the house & chassis batteries. If just starting the engine, it will be a few minutes before the charge solenoid energizes. (Not sure all of the parameters to engage but according to Tiffin, there are several) I have an accessory cable plugged into a dash cig jack that also shows the voltage (House Batteries) and this is convenient for knowing the house battery level and when the charge solenoid is enabled (Manual Boost). This is how I noticed my solenoid was bad (common problem).

If you hook up to shore power before jacks & slides be sure to wait for the delay in the surge protector before turning on any loads. Otherwise it will put unnecessary wear on surge protector and transfer box contactors if they switch under load.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiddyPnut View Post
Additional things to keep in mind is to leave a door, window, or fan vent open when opening & closing up the slides. There is a lot of air movement and it will reduce the strain.

(much omitted text)
The sealed box is a good point. The slides are a large piston, and reducing that load by opening a window is huge.

Just to add a thought. I would rather have the peak energy from cycling the slide come from the inverter/charger than from an alternator, which is already hot in the engine compartment, or if cold is likely making up for the glow/start sequence of the chassis engine.

I have replaced too many alternators, albeit mostly from worn brushes (which would likely be from large current over a long time).
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I have always ran my engine to provide more power when using the slides and the jacks. I also open the drivers side window to allow air to move in and out of the coach more easily. With the a window or vent open, you'll have less drag on the slides and will help them move more freely. This also allows the engine time to get up to operating temps while your air tanks fill up.. IMHO...
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #24

I get parked first then turn off motor, plug into shore power or have gen running, level up then the slides come out. Key has to be turned to on position. House batteries power slides. House batteries also are what start gen.

2014 bus 37ap
SteveBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
I recently purchased a 2009 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH. It has 4 slide outs. 2 are electric and 2 are hydraulic. In one section the owners section states the motor home engine should be on when extending and retracting the slides and another states the engine should be off. Anyone know the correct procedures for extending and retracting the slides? Thanks
IMHO/ SWAG** is that MFR opinion CHANGED, and the OM is copied from year to year, and (sometimes) (some things) are re-written to Update, and OFTEN, MISTAKES REMAIN from year to year...but... many OM used to say ENGINE ON to OPERATE SLIDES, BECAUSE OF HIGH BATTERY CURRENT DEMAND FROM SLIDES; some later, (maybe lawsuits involved?) changed to ENGINE= OFF TO OPERATE SLIDES, so that slides are LOCKED OFF WHEN TRAVELING. My 2000 Class-C Gulfstream locks OFF when IGN=ON, and OManual reflects same. (** Google if you need definitions, :-)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:32 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
The key should only need to be in the on position. I'm certain that the landing gear should be down first. You probably knew that though.
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #27

Our 2008 Phaeton 40QSH has Bigfoot levelers.
When I get to our site, I level, which dumps the air, connect to shore power and then put slides out, with the key on.
I was told to have the key OFF when operating the Bigfoot levelers.

Wm Mayberry
2008 Phaeton 40QSH
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBev View Post
I get parked first then turn off motor, plug into shore power or have gen running, level up then the slides come out. Key has to be turned to on position. House batteries power slides. House batteries also are what start gen.

2014 bus 37ap

I also have a 37ap Allegro Bus and my manual says ignition on but not engine running for slides. I've always followed that. Arrive, shut engine down, dump air, ignition on, auto-level on. I then go hook up electrical while jacks doing their thing. Then put slides out after coach leveled. When leaving - ignition on, bring slides in, store jacks then start engine and air up the suspension, disconnect shore power. On my last trip as I was getting ready to leave Hilton Head, the two small slides(rear) came in just fine but the two big ones wouldn't move. Eventually I tried starting the engine and then could bring in the slides.???? Since then I light off the engine before doing anything else. I don't know why after 50,000 miles the slides wouldn't follow the normal procedure but they must have a mind of their own.
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, tiffin