Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #29

Our slides only work with the key in the Off position.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Our only work with the key in the on position

2019 45 OPP
kmeinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2019 40IH. Ignition key must be in the on position. Engine does not have to be running. Generator should be running or hooked to shore power.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:41 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
Our 2008 Phaeton 40QSH has Bigfoot levelers.
When I get to our site, I level, which dumps the air, connect to shore power and then put slides out, with the key on.
I was told to have the key OFF when operating the Bigfoot levelers.

Wm Mayberry
2008 Phaeton 40QSH
Which bring up the OTHER issue/ reason: (MOST) now say LEVEL first, then extend slides. On MANY, if IGN=ON, then Jacks= AUTO RETRACT to PREVENT "Drive-off damage".
Old 10-28-2021, 06:21 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Which bring up the OTHER issue/ reason: (MOST) now say LEVEL first, then extend slides. On MANY, if IGN=ON, then Jacks= AUTO RETRACT to PREVENT "Drive-off damage".
Auto Retract, at least on my 2008, meant that when activated, no need to hold the button down and all 4 Jacks would retract. If you would put it in gear and start to drive off, no way the Jacks would retract fast enough to prevent damage.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
As a few posters have noted, it is strongly recommended that diesel engines have a 3 to 5 minute cool down period and a 3 to 5 minute warm up period.
That is the perfect time to address your slides and jacks.
Arrive: park, get my 50 amp cable out, not connect, hit the auto-level, which dumps air, levels and stabilizes, extend slides, connect power, shutdown the engine.
Engine cooldown achieved.
Depart: all inside travel prep completed. Water and sewer disconnected. Pre-trip checks completed. Start engine for warm up. Retract all slides. Hit "Store" on jack system. Disconnect shore power and put cable away. Hit the road. Engine warm up achieved.
Note: even though the manuals for many of the Tiffin REDs state ignition needs to be "on" when operating slides, that is not intended to dictate that engine is not running. When operating the slides and jacks, the engine can be running, or not running if you already achieved the important warm up or cool down.
One other note: I wish there was a way to dial back the volume of the loud beeping that occurs the entire time the key is on and the air is dumped, or pressuring up. The pets absolutely HATE this. Does anyone know where the beeper is located? Maybe I can muffle it?
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would think the original poster, FredT, who appears to be new to owning a larger RV, is totally confused at this point. Documentation in the manuals conflicting, and many of us seem to have different approaches. Think most of us appear to agree that the slide motors pull a lot of power. Key here is to supplement your batteries wherever possible. Some prefer shore power or generators, others with the motor running. The one reason I always used shore power was concerns that the air bags might try and inflate again and to keep noise down to a minimum. After years of using shore power, I read somewhere that the system in my Phaeton had a lockout that prevented the air bags from reinflating when the Jacks were extended. Never dug into it further since using shore power seemed to work. If dry camping somewhere without shore power, would definitely suggest poster to use the motor or generator to prevent unnecessary drain on the batteries when possible.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Back to the OP question, all 2016 or so Tiffins and older do not have a factory installed BIRD. They just have a solenoid that allows you to combine the 2 battery banks as long as you hold the boost switch down.

Therefore, running the engine will have no impact on the house batteries (which drive the slides), if you don't have the boost switch down.

However, if you are plugged in, the inverter/charger will help the house batteries while you are operating the slides.

I've always followed the warm up/cool down the engine while you work the slides and jacks. After my test to confirm they are powered by the house batteries, I'll just be sure I disconnect the shore power after those 2 steps.

Tags
slide, slide out, tiffin