Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Spyder Systems

New to Tiffin motorhomes and I’m wondering what issues are being seen with the Spyder control system. It’s very impressive but concerned with future issues and any problems others have had. Very complex and miles of wiring😊
We have a 2019 Open Road 36ua gas.
Ken
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Mine has been trouble free for a couple years. New stuff does seem more complicated than a simple on/off switch, but I haven’t heard of many issues with the system.
The market has gone to multiplex systems and I don’t think there’s any turning back.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
Very complex and miles of wiring😊
Truth be told it is less wiring, saving weight, and there are much fewer connections to oxidize or come undone. I have found it far easier to track down problems with the Spyder system. First of all there are no physical switches with contacts to wear out. The control panels connect to a two wire bus that goes back to the main unit. Then each circuit has wires that go back to the main unit. All negatives go to a bus bar and positive from each circuit to a breaker connection at the main unit. Makes it very easy to trace things out.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
New to Tiffin motorhomes and I’m wondering what issues are being seen with the Spyder control system. It’s very impressive but concerned with future issues and any problems others have had. Very complex and miles of wiring😊 We have a 2019 Open Road 36ua gas. Ken
As Mark said, the Spyder multiplex system cuts the amount of wiring in a motor home, probably less than half. Think about a bank of six regular light switches. That would require a minimum of seven wires (six light feed wires plus a common power supply) where a Spyder panel uses one network cable. The switch panel sends a signal to the main controller which turns the line to the light on or off.

There is a Spyder discussion section on another forum dedicated to Tiffin motor homes. This section is one of the least active discussion panels of all. The only real problem I have heard of is some of the early switch panels were susceptible to static discharge causing the panel to fail. I think they have addressed this problem in the newer panels.

These multiplex control systems are the wave of the future and almost all manufacturers are using one type or another.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

With our 2019 (May 2019) 40IH, the only problem we have had is flickering of the displays on the panels by entry door and drivers seat. Cycling 12V power will clear that issue. Also seems to clear when you shut engine off and turn back on.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
With our 2019 (May 2019) 40IH, the only problem we have had is flickering of the displays on the panels by entry door and drivers seat. Cycling 12V power will clear that issue. Also seems to clear when you shut engine off and turn back on.
Here's a prior discussion about that and how to eliminate it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/do-y...ls-459914.html
Old 03-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm having problems with some of the ceiling lights in the living room of my 2017 Phaeton 36GH. Some of the complete sets of lights go out on their own. Sometimes they come back on by themselves. Now I have some lights that are light at about 1/3 power. I think there is some connection in or near the slideout that is causing the problems. I can sometimes pound on the slideout or wiggle it and the lights that are causing problems will flicker. Anyone has or had this problem?
bchowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #8

Going on year 4. Fingers crossed, no issues to date
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:28 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
6 years of Spyder in our 36UA, and no issues. Knock on wood (& there's plenty of that in this rig). If I ever experience a Spyder issue, I'll put the subject in search on this forum, and browse through solutions that have been posted. Great forum! I lurked for years, and finally, joined a few years ago. If I don't find what I'm looking for, then it's time for me to be an OP & wait for some responses with possible solutions. Also, over the years, I've gotten to know some very knowledgeable and reliable RV techs (that have become good friends), and, on a few occassions, I have sent a text or two, with an issue that I'm facing. I, usually, get a timely reply with some things to check, or (if I'm lucky) a DIY solution.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:52 AM   #10

I had a problem with the lights over the bed, they were intermittent. I was replacing all the lights and converting all to LED's. So I had to remove the plywood base of the overhead storage compartment. One of the connections within a wire nut, for that light circuit, was not actually making a good contact. 1st time I moved the wire it came right out of the wire nut. On a 2017 Tiffin Breeze 31BR.
The coach also had the notorious flickering LED problem that eventually ended up with failed light. Tiffin would replace those lights, usually for no cost. However, the replacements were not of the same light temperature of the original fixtures. Not a real solution IMO.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #11

Where is this Spyder panel located in a 2019 Tiffin Allegro RED? I just replaced a panel (G12) because 3 circuits (task lights, passenger side slide lights, water heater) weren't working after an electrical storm. It was behind the tilt out drawer in the bedroom. Is that it? Is that what is being discussed here? My owners ring binder has a G6A schematic and it's not the only thing wrong in that binder.
JAMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:57 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchowe View Post
I'm having problems with some of the ceiling lights in the living room of my 2017 Phaeton 36GH. Some of the complete sets of lights go out on their own. Sometimes they come back on by themselves. Now I have some lights that are light at about 1/3 power. I think there is some connection in or near the slideout that is causing the problems. I can sometimes pound on the slideout or wiggle it and the lights that are causing problems will flicker. Anyone has or had this problem?
Found out it was a bad circuit board. Ordered the board from Tiffin and replaced it. No problems since.
bchowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:59 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The only issue I found with ours is that the bedroom panel isn't wired correctly. A few of the switches do nothing or control the wrong lights. It's on my to do list but has some other things in front of it that are more pressing. I will probably call Spyder first because I hear they are helpful.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:27 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
The only issue I found with ours is that the bedroom panel isn't wired correctly. A few of the switches do nothing or control the wrong lights. It's on my to do list but has some other things in front of it that are more pressing. I will probably call Spyder first because I hear they are helpful.
What you are describing is not a wiring issue but the panel is not programmed correctly. For example, if you push the Bedroom Light switch a signal is sent to the main Spyder panel to turn the lights on. The only wiring from the panel is a four wire network cable. It will probably require replacing the panel but indeed contact Spyder. You can use the Contact link and scroll down to the bottom for a contact box.

Tags
ems, tiffin