Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Suspension help

I just finished a cross country trip in my 2019 Tiffin Red 33AL. I am looking for some suspension help. I have the Powerglide Chassis and can't find any aftermarket parts. It looks like this chassis relies on air bag suspension. Has anyone modified this chassis besides adding a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer?
Gregnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregnav View Post
I just finished a cross country trip in my 2019 Tiffin Red 33AL. I am looking for some suspension help. I have the Powerglide Chassis and can't find any aftermarket parts. It looks like this chassis relies on air bag suspension. Has anyone modified this chassis besides adding a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer?
What problems did you encounter? I havenít read much from others complaining about the ride or other concerns like gas rigs have.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

No first hand experience with that particular coach, but very short WB (198") with an OL of 422'.

That gives a WB/OL of only 46.9%

What are you trying to change/improve??
Old 08-31-2021, 07:07 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Are you sure that it is sitting on a PowerGlide Chassis? Freightliner chassis have been used on every chassis except the Breeze, the Bus and some of the Phaetons.

What were your "problems" because if this is your first motorhome, most of the things you are thinking that need to be fixed are caused by driver unfamiliarity with the motorhome.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin suspension help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
What problems did you encounter? I havenít read much from others complaining about the ride or other concerns like gas rigs have.
The biggest issue was the air wash from big rigs. I was constantly having to correct the steering to keep it in the lane. I have a Safe-T-Plus on the front end that was installed by previous owner. Iím looking to improve the tracking of the RV. The chassis doesnít come with front sway bars or shocks just air bags and leaf springs.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Are you sure that it is sitting on a PowerGlide Chassis? Freightliner chassis have been used on every chassis except the Breeze, the Bus and some of the Phaetons.

What were your "problems" because if this is your first motorhome, most of the things you are thinking that need to be fixed are caused by driver unfamiliarity with the motorhome.

I have the 2019 Red 340 33AL. Mine is on a Powerglide. I was recently in Red Bay and I came across a nice gentleman that was adamant mine was on a Freightliner. No mention of Freightliner anywhere on my coach. No 'F' on the wheels or steering wheel. Paperwork included on coach showing VIN shows Powerglide. Wondering if something was published that disputes what I have. Anyway I never convinced him, but we still managed to knock down some beers in that gravel lot .
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #7

2019&2020 RED340 33AL are PowerGlide chassis. Some 2021 and later may be Freightliner. I think Tiffin is transitioning.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
To the OP

OK, I'll buy the PowerGlide chassis, however, your comment about air bags and springs leaves me wondering. Sway bars are not usually part of an air bag supported chassis and there are no springs involved either in your chassis. So...

Learning the handling characteristics and coping with them is your first task. How to do that:
1. Get to a CAT scale and weigh the motorhome
2. Adjust your tire pressures to match your weight. Over or under inflated tires can contribute to significant handling problems.
3. Adjust your seat so you can lock your elbows to the arm rests and only steer with slight movements of your hands.
4. Drive a lot and keep your eyes directed way out in front of you (at least 100 yards).
5. Remember you are driving a large sail. Wind and large trucks (which create their own wind storm) will move you around.
6. Being passed by large trucks is really not a problem when you understand what that big bow wave does. The truck bow wave will move you over a couple of feet and, if you do nothing with the steering, will suck you back about the same amount to your original position when the truck passes.
7. Suggestion 3 keeps you from overcorrecting when you get pushed around. Delicate steering movements will keep you from feeling out of control.

Now drive it a bunch so your muscle memory will get built and your confidence level will go up.

BTW, your Steering Stabilizer is really there to prevent loss of control if you should have a front tire blowout. It's not a fix for handling problems.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The biggest issue was the air wash from big rigs. I was constantly having to correct the steering to keep it in the lane. I have a Safe-T-Plus on the front end that was installed by previous owner. Iím looking to improve the tracking of the RV. The chassis doesnít come with front sway bars or shocks just air bags and leaf springs.
We just bought a 2020 Tiffin 33AA. On the way back home from Wisconsin it seemed a little unstable. After I got home, I got the coach weighed and reduced the tire pressure from 110 down to 100 front and 90 rear. Then I had the front end aligned. The toe was way out of spec. I also had the Safe-T-Plus re-adjusted twice. After all this it drives great. Just completed 4000 mile trip to Glacier National Park.

Regards, Jerry
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

BTW, your Steering Stabilizer is really there to prevent loss of control if you should have a front tire blowout. It's not a fix for handling problems.
If the Safe-T-Plus is not adjusted properly it will cause the coach to pull to one side. After a recent front end alignment, my coach pulled to the right. I went to a second shop and had them re-adjust the Safe-T-Plus. Everything drives straight now. That being said, the crown of the road will cause the coach to pull slightly depending on the direction of the crown.

Regards, Jerry
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:16 AM   #11

my experience with my 33aa

I had a 2016 33aa with freight liner red for 1.5 years and I too was not happy about the ride and had to many white knuckle experiences.
The wheelbase has a lot to do with it and I thought that was the chief reason 196". I never got around to corner balancing like I learned from an experienced 33 owner. I think that it is more important on a 33 than longer wheelbase models. I sold it and bought a 38 red with 256" wheelbase. Since I have learned there are a lot of things available to improve handling. I put on koni shocks on my 20k mile 2015 red and it helped a lot!
Ive heard of a company called Henderson Highline in Grants pass in Oregon that specializes in rv improvements. Contact them and see what they suggest.
aquaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:46 AM   #12

I HAD this same coach. It really is a mess to drive.i solved that by buying an 40IH! What you will find is that only 30% of the weight is over the front axle. Not much you can do to improve handling except to try to load the front axle more which is not likely. Run with a full water tank and fuel. Only thing I could think of was to add a spoiler to the roof to add weight under speed.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Suspension upgrades

Thank you for the constructive input. It beats the comments by luvlabs. I joined this site to learn about Tiffin RV'S not hear dumb comments.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for the constructive input. It beats the comments by luvlabs. I joined this site to learn about Tiffin RV'S not hear dumb comments.
Sorry you think that, but I thought his comments were right on.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, tiffin