Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #1

Tiffin upholstery quality 2016-18

OK, so we are thinking of selling the Southwind and looking for a Tiffin Open Road 32SA in the 2015-2018 year range.
The Ultraleather (?) in our 04 Sourthwind has held up beautifully. No peeling or blisters at all. Have heard a lot of complaints the newer fake leathers used in many brands of motorhomes.
Was wondering if these Tiffins had the same problems.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 01:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I may be mistaken but UltraLeather was only used in models Phaeton and above.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #3

Upholstery in our '14 Allegro Open Road peeled. Tiffin replaced dinette booth and recliner. Search this forum and you will find a lot of discussion on this topic.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I may be mistaken but UltraLeather was only used in models Phaeton and above.
Hence the (?). I don't know what it is but it is soft, suple, and in great shape.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #5

Our 2013 RED had the same issue with the failing Ultra leather.
weighit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:21 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If it was failing, it wasn't genuine UltraLeather. Phaetons had genuine UltraLeather (mine did), but I don't believe lower models did.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If it was failing, it wasn't genuine UltraLeather. Phaetons had genuine UltraLeather (mine did), but I don't believe lower models did.
I'm not asking about my current coach, I'm asking about a specific Tiffin.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:41 PM   #8

The build sheet for our '14 Open Road, indicated "ultra leather" for sofa and and was $1200 option. We had no trouble with sofa or captain's chairs. Tiffin replaced our recliner more than 1 year after expiration of warranty.

The brochure for 2014 uses term "halo leatherette" for the optional upholstery.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:07 PM   #9

Brochure for 2016 RED uses term "leatherette".

Brochure for 2016 Phaeton has standard "ultra leather" for captain's chairs and some other items, with "ultra leather" being optional for other items and varies by floor plan.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:06 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I'm not asking about my current coach, I'm asking about a specific Tiffin.
I wasn't addressing your current coach. I was addressing models below the Tiffin Phaeton.; which an Allegro Open Road is. I answered you with this statement:
Quote:
I don't believe lower models did.
B52Rnav confirmed that era has the peeling issue. You won't know for sure until you are actually looking at one you are wanting to purchase & do your research to determine if the upgrade option to UltraLeather was done for that particular model/floorplan. If it was, it'll be listed as such on the pricing sticker listing all the standards/options..assuming the PO kept that with the suitcase of manuals like mine did.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a 2018 32SA for a while and the leather held up beautifully! I ‘think’ it was ultra leather though I don’t have the paperwork anymore to confirm. The buffet bottom seat got a little stretched with use but that is to be expected on that type of seat. No pealing or flaking anywhere on any of the leather seats.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I wasn't addressing your current coach. I was addressing models below the Tiffin Phaeton.; which an Allegro Open Road is. I answered you with this statement:

B52Rnav confirmed that era has the peeling issue. You won't know for sure until you are actually looking at one you are wanting to purchase & do your research to determine if the upgrade option to UltraLeather was done for that particular model/floorplan. If it was, it'll be listed as such on the pricing sticker listing all the standards/options..assuming the PO kept that with the suitcase of manuals like mine did.
I didn't know a Phaeton was a Tiffin. Way above my budget.
Thanks for the additional info.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:23 AM   #13

Seat Coverings

Greetings All and Happy Trails for 2023!

This thread is very interesting and I'm following it closely. There is a thread on another forum covering the same subject but I cannot provide a link.

Baseline Up Front: We have a 2006 Winnebago View based on a 2005 Mercedes Sprinter. The cab seats are covered in "Ultraleather" and the coach upholstery is a rugged woven fabric. Both are in very good shape considering their age. We have not yet considered any reupholstering of either.

After several posts on several forums about failed upholstery (mainly coach?) I was intrigued and did some further research. What I found out is that "Ultraleather" is a trademarked alternative to actual leather. Ultraleather is a synthetic/manufactured "leather" which is not based on any cow/calf skins. https://www.colonialairstream.com/ultraleather/

I now believe this is what was also used to replace the worn out true leather seating surfaces in my wife's 2003/4 Volvo. It is very nice and not discernably different from the original leather. We'll see how long it lasts but the originals endured over 18 years so we believe it will live out the life of the car or us, whichever comes first... :-)

Paul (aka F-4 Polo) and Chris
2006 Winnebago View
NW Florida
Guzowskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:13 PM   #14

For several years Flexsteel used a different type of less expensive material that went into standard Allegro Open Roads. Not sure of exact years but think from about 2015 thru 18 ? Mines a ‘16 32SA with peeling Captain’s chairs. Flexsteel then went out of the RV furniture business. Tiffin honored warranties for original owners. Tiffin will now sell you all the material to recover it yourself for about $1100 per seat. Also some previous Flexsteel employees have a business to recover or sell you the kits. There’s several forum threads here and on the Tiffin owners network about this.

By the way I previously had an ‘05 Bounder - sister to your Southwind - with Flexsteel furniture and it was in excellent condition 11 years later when I sold it.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin