Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
I would buy either brand sight unseen. At this price point in motorhomes, they share top billing IMHO.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First thing I would suggest no matter what used motor home you might be seriously considering to purchase, is to get the following fluids analyzed:
  • Engine Oi
    Generator Oil
    Engine Coolant
    Generator Coolant
    Transmission Fluid
You can get kits and watch videos on how to take the samples at RV Oil Analysis | Leading RV Analysis Company | JG Lubricant Services

I would also check the date of the tires. You will probably have to crawl under the coach to see the back side of the tires. You would be looking for DOT followed by four numbers. The first two is the week the tires were manufactured, and the second two is the year. So 1007 would mean the tires were manufactured the tenth week of 2007.

Specific to the Tiffin coach, there are a few main concerns that you should ask and/or require proof from the owner that they have been inspected and/or taken care of since some or all are known issues from 2007 through 2012:

Roof rails - The roof is a one piece fiberglass with radius edges where it meets the vertical side walls. There is a history of those radius edges developing cracks. These cracks will first appear as very fine white lines. The white you would be seeing is the fiberglass below the base and clear coat. The cracks will eventually get wider and spread to the roof itself. The only fix is to have that radius portion cut off and replaced with aluminum rails.

Wet bay floor rotting out - The floor under the fresh, black and gray tanks is prone to rot out. The way check it is to crawl under the coach past the wet bay pan and poke a screwdriver in the floor. If it is soft, then it is bad. The fix is to completely remove the floor and replace it with a composite material that won't rot.

Front driver's side slide floor rotting - There can be a leak develop at the lower front corner of the driver's slide that allows moisture to get to the slide floor that eventually can lead to the floor rotting out. The way to check it is to open the slide and poke a screwdriver in the front corner of the slide floor. Again if it is soft, then moisture intrusion has started. The fix is to completely remove the slide and remove and replace the floor.

A vertical stress crack in the side wall at the drivers side bedroom slide. It would be on the lower front corner.

Tiffin has been covering the costs of these repairs for a number of years, but the coach you're going to look at might be past that coverage period. If the owner cannot provide you with proof that any or all them have been taken care of, get the serial number of the coach and call Don Boyd at Tiffin (256) 356-0261 Ext 3290

If any of the above conditions have not been repaired, Don will be able to tell you if Tiffin would still pick up the cost. He could also tell you of a Tiffin authorized repair facility that could take care of at least the first two. Depending on where you live the slide floor replacement would most likely have to be done at Red Bay. I have heard there is a facility in CT and in northern CA that can do it, but that would be something to discuss with Don.

The coach probably has electric leveling jacks. I would have the owner run them through an up and auto down cycle at least three or four times. Again, electric jack failure is another known issue. It got so bad that Tiffin stopped using them and now only installs hydraulic jacks.

My Phaeton is a 2009 and I have had all the of the above repaired or replaced, except the driver's side slide floor (no evidence of a problem).
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #45

Bob.....Terrific post in my opinion and refreshing to see an owner honestly contributing feedback on known problems with their brand. These are very, very serious problems and it is unforgivable that they (Tiffin) allowed to them go unresolved for many, many years.

As a result, I could never trust my $$$ on a Tiffin and it says something about the MH Industry that this cavalier attitude to "known" deficiencies did not bankrupt nor even really seriously harm the Tiffin brand??

Amazing!!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #46

Fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Bob.....Terrific post in my opinion and refreshing to see an owner honestly contributing feedback on known problems with their brand. These are very, very serious problems and it is unforgivable that they (Tiffin) allowed to them go unresolved for many, many years.

As a result, I could never trust my $$$ on a Tiffin and it says something about the MH Industry that this cavalier attitude to "known" deficiencies did not bankrupt nor even really seriously harm the Tiffin brand??

Amazing!!
Tiffin fixed any of these problems so what is your point? How many other manufacturers would step up long after the original warrantee expired?
Owners of problem units are lucky Tiffin is still in business not like owners of so many that closed their doors in recent years.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #47

Actually there are a number of manufacturers that have and do step up out of warranty. Forest River, Entegra, and American Coach are several that I know have gone way above and beyond long after the warranty expired. My Forest River Berkshire was found to be lacking in carrying capacity and Forest River arranged to have all six tires replaced, the front axle replaced, and the front air bags replaced free of charge to me and that was three years out of warranty.

When any manufacturer has major engineering issues it is only right that they correct those issues. In a court of law those same manufacturers would be forced to make the corrections required.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Tiffin fixed any of these problems so what is your point?

My point is they knew about these problems for years and they did "nothing" to correct the problems. These are not small "fit & finish" problems or problems with third party suppliers.....roof rails, rotting floors, under engineered stress cracking side walls.....jeeeeez! You are soooo correct that Tiffin is lucky to still be in business.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Jack,

Some of these problems took years to develop. When discovered, Tiffin took corrective action to redesign, put the fix in production, and then correct existing units which were exhibiting the problem. Roof rail cracking only started several years after Tiffin went to an all fiberglass roof. A new resin was formulated and, when it still cracked, a third design with a more heat resistant resin was used (and still is). Remember, none of these cracks caused any kind of roof leaks. All of this occurred over a three and a half year period from 2008 to 2012 early in the model run. Roof rail cracks appear to be something of the past. The oldest units with the new formula are nearing 4 years and I haven't heard of any issues.

The wet bay floors rotting were again something that happened in a limited time frame. Redesigned once and then once again when an all plastic floor and side walls were adopted.

Stress cracking side walls - seems that Tiffin is not alone with this one and it still happens occasionally on a number of 40 ft and longer MHs with rear baths. Tiffin is pretty nice in that they will pay for repairs well past the warranty period.

I see you still own a Rexhall. If you had any of these types of problems with your unit, would Rexhall step up and repair them either for free or at a reduced charge?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I've been researching for awhile, I was impressed with Newmar until the dealer gave me a brochure and I found out that Newmar frames the floors using 2 x 3 pine joists. I feel that in 2015 there are better materials to use in construction. Most other manufacturers use materials that are less conducive to water damage and don't support mold growth. Please let me know if my concerns are not valid.
I think your concerns are misplaced. Newmar, Travel Supreme, and Entegra have been building high end coaches with wood frame floors for a very long time and I have never heard of a problem relating to this. And there are some real benefits to the wood floor system. It is quieter (absorbs noise and vibration) and provides better insulation because it is thicker. I can't think of any negatives to the wood frame floor.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Jack,

Some of these problems took years to develop. When discovered, Tiffin took corrective action to redesign, put the fix in production, and then correct existing units which were exhibiting the problem. Roof rail cracking only started several years after Tiffin went to an all fiberglass roof. A new resin was formulated and, when it still cracked, a third design with a more heat resistant resin was used (and still is). Remember, none of these cracks caused any kind of roof leaks. All of this occurred over a three and a half year period from 2008 to 2012 early in the model run. Roof rail cracks appear to be something of the past. The oldest units with the new formula are nearing 4 years and I haven't heard of any issues.

The wet bay floors rotting were again something that happened in a limited time frame. Redesigned once and then once again when an all plastic floor and side walls were adopted.

Stress cracking side walls - seems that Tiffin is not alone with this one and it still happens occasionally on a number of 40 ft and longer MHs with rear baths. Tiffin is pretty nice in that they will pay for repairs well past the warranty period.

I see you still own a Rexhall. If you had any of these types of problems with your unit, would Rexhall step up and repair them either for free or at a reduced charge?
. Well that depends whether they are business this week
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
While looking for our MH we were at La Mesa. While sitting in a MH another fellow walked in. We were chatty and so he sat down and started talking with us. It gave us a nice chance to see how the MH we were in would be with guests, but I digress.

We asked him if he was looking for a new MH. He said no he was happy with his Tiffin. He was scheduled for a complete paint job in his well out of warranty Tiffin due to some problem with the original paint complements of Tiffin. He said he had had some problem with his coach but had never had an issue with Tiffin looking after him.

What ever you want to say, in his case he was convinced that Tiffin was for him.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Following

Interested to know too.
MH Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin