Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To adjust or not, mirror arms that is

Hello All,

I have searched this forum for all posts related to "mirrors" and the consensus seems to be if you don't need to repair or replace any of the related parts, then you should leave them alone.

My issue, for now, is this; my 2010 Allegro RED 38QBA is in a 14' by 40' RV storage garage and due to the mirrors being out in front and a bit of the rear ladder (top bolted in section), one of the garage doors will not close. These are two huge barn doors. This is a metal unit in a designated RV storage yard.

My first thought was to use some plumbers tape on each mirror arm to establish their current location, then move them out on each side, inch the rig up and hopefully the one unit door would now close.

However, I am concerned with putting the mirror arms back into position and then not over or under tightening the bolts so that they will NOT move when again out on the road. Not too mention, if they will even move without some semi-aggressive persuasion.

My option is to leave it as is since the storage yard Mgr completely understands and is trying to get someone in a 14' by 70' to move into a 13' by 70' so I can have the larger storage unit.

Also, DW wants us to sell our current S&B for a place with more land that will allow us to keep our rig onsite. I am all for this plan but obviously this is not an overnight occurrence.

Thank You to everyone in advance for your, as usual, helpful ideas and suggestions.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a similar situation. We loosen and fold back the mirrors to ensure we don't hit them with the garage door. I suppose it depends on what type of mirror you have and the type of mount. We have a Ramco mirror and just loosen the bolt at the bottom of the mount. I have put a slight mark with a Sharpie on the top of the mirror arm so that I can tell how to position the mirror when we want to use the MH. You only have to snug down the bolt to keep the mirror from moving.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Texas Tom,

From looking at the picture of your rig, which I assume is your avatar, our mirrors appear to be the same. I appreciate your reply. I will go check them out, as to brand and movability and let you know.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

Becareful

Be very careful . If they have never been moved it will take much, much effort to break them loose. I bought my MH used and wanted to adjust the mirrors. Of course they had never been moved. I undid the bolt at the bottom. Nothing. I ended up banging them with a rubber mallet. I started with light taps at first, adding liquid wrench, I ended up with some pretty hard smacks. Nothing. I did this for 3 days before they came loose. I was told later that I'm lucky. When you smack them as hard as I did sometimes the unit will break. Good luck to you!

2009 32' open Road
2006 PTCruiser
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Tom,

Well, I found that I also have Ramco mirrors, took the bolt out and......nothing. It is if they are cemented in. Ha! I tried moving them up, one side, then the other, etc. Finally I gave up and reinstalled the bolt and cap, since I did not want to cause any damage and it was also over 100 degrees inside the storage unit.

At the very least it gave me a good reason to disconnect my charger, turn back on the house and chassis batteries, then run the engine and gen for awhile and sit in some air conditioning.

Possibly I need a step stool for a better advantage point and a rubber mallet?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Kayla,

Just saw your reply, no doubt as I was writing back to Tom. First and foremost, THANK YOU!!! for the very good heads up. I, too, highly suspect my mirrors have never been moved.

I also am not a fan of the front mirror placement on the driver side, with part of the body at the windshield blocking part of the mirror. I HAD thought if I could rotate them for storage, that would also give me a chance to try a different position on the driver side.

At this point, I am going to leave them as is and revisit this issue in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you fit in the 13 x 70?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Dave,

If I could drive in or back in straight, then yes, my rig would fit. One of the issues would be, if I got it in dead centered I would be left with 27 inches on each side. The problem I would have is the coach door would not open all the way. The bay doors would open but leave very little room to get into them. I would get into each battery bay to turn off the coach and then chassis batteries. And then into the chassis battery bay to attach my charger to the posts that are in the back.

My apologies for the long winded answer, just trying to paint a very accurate picture. The RV storage park 13x70 and 14x70 units are perpendicular to the unit I have now.

The layout is similar to the "T" shape. My unit is along the top of the "T" and the longer units are along the vertical part of the "T". Being the vertical rows.

Between the vertical rows is about 50 feet. My rig overall is 40-41 feet. There is just not enough room to "pull in" without a lot of back and forth, which would be the same in getting out.

My current unit is almost dead center between the rows, so I have all the room I could ever need.

Other options:
1. non-covered storage, allows the solar panels to charge my batteries, but subjects the coach to Texas weather. Presently near 100 degrees every day.

2. Outdoor covered parking storage. No electricity and of course, the solar panels would then be covered.

As it is right now, the storage park I am in is completely fenced with keypads to get in and out. Also, it is completely video monitored. At least I have some comfort in that.

I think if I can get those mirror arms to move, that will give me the additional forward movement I need to close it up and lock it.

Maybe I need to buy a farm? Ha! If only.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can get them loose. Being stuck is not uncommon. I started out by lubricating them around the top real well. Then loosened the bolt and using a ratchet extension, Tapped & hammered on the bolt from the bottom until they broke free. I have read the notes about breaking the support, but by just hammering on the bolt and not putting pressure on the are, I had no problems. And it took a few really hard blows too!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,

Thanks! Naturally since yesterday, this one situation has been on my mind. So, by hitting on the extension on the bolt, you are actually pushing up on the mirror arm?
Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello All,

I finally got this situation under control, just not as I originally planned.

As I was up on my step ladder and just finished with the penetrating oil onto the driver side mirror arm, I heard a voice calling my name. It was the storage park Mgr who had stopped by on another matter.

She informed me that the tenant of the 14'x70' drive through storage unit with a 42' long speed boat had given up on trying to get his boat into the unit and found some other location.

Bottom line, my rig is now in that unit, so no adjustment of the mirrors necessary. It is not a straight shot as my first storage unit, but doable. The drive through part is also not applicable since the space between the rows on THAT side is only 37'. However, I now do have room to back straight out, clear the doors and turn and drive away.

Thank You Tiffin for the 55" wheel cut. Yahoo!

Thank You All for your suggestions, always MOST appreciated.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Ultra View Post
Tom,

Thanks! Naturally since yesterday, this one situation has been on my mind. So, by hitting on the extension on the bolt, you are actually pushing up on the mirror arm?
Good to hear you have a solution, and for future reference, yes, the bolt screws in to the mirror arm, so by loosening the bolt and then tapping it from the bottom, you are pushing up on the arm.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Tom,

I have made a note of this for future reference.

Happy RV'ing!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mark-

More hints for you to file away:

1) Use a longer (sacrificial) bolt. It keeps the hammer away from the bottom of the arm and from the coach. Five inches is better, and six works, too. They have about an inch of thread. Thread it all the way in until it stops. Remember- bolt is steel, arm is aluminum. The potential exists to destroy the threads in the aluminum.

2) Use PB Blaster or some other liquid/spray designed to penetrate corrosion. Soak the joint from the top, let it sit a day or so, whack. Repeat.

3) Here's what finally broke it loose- Use a three-pound sledgehammer on the bolt head.

Whacking a rubber mallet on the arm did nothing other than loosen the lag bolts connecting the mirror support bracket to the coach body. It may have worked if the corrosion wasn't so severe.

4) Reassemble with some marine grease in the joint.

5) If you move your mirror to the side window, you may need an anti-glare shield, covered in other iRV2 posts.

I'm left-eye dominant, so could not see well with the driver's mirror out front. I can see much better through the side window.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote