Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad Cable Mangled-What Shorted Out

2016 Phaeton towing 2018 Chevy Equinox - 7 wired cable to toad got completely mangled & something (or things) got burned out. Brake lights & flashers in RV & Toad work independently when not towing, but Equinox tail lights not mirroring RV when hooked up to cable. Checked fuses in Phaeton and Equinox & nothing obvious. Tips on troubleshooting/ fixing this? Gotta hit the road! Thx in advance.
JT-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:59 PM   #2

Had the sme thing happen, could not get the towed lights or brake or flash turn signals when hooked up with the new cable.. On the right rear compartment is a set of large yellow fuses. I popped 2 of them, the auto parts store had them but about $6 or $7 each, once i verified that they were the cause of the towed lights not operating, i went back and bought a spare fuse. Hope that helps.
weighit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:26 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you check the fuses in the tow connection relay box? It's located in the second to rear compartment on the passenger side. Usually mounted high up on the inside wall and has a removeable cover over the fuse box.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I assume you mean fuses in the tow car (not the Phaeton)?
Old 05-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-RV View Post
No the motorhome, I just took some photos but don't know how to get them from my phone to you
Old 05-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure what you mean by "7 wired cable to toad got completely mangled", but if you're referring to your umbilical cord I would suggest checking all the the connections inside of it on both the coach and towed ends.

It is very easy for wire connections to come loose and short out.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
I sent you a private message on this forum, I can send you photos, contact me.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If I am reading this correctly, the cord between the coach and tow vehicle got roughed up, and now doesn't work correctly. You mention the rv and the tow vehicle, all lights work correctly independently so the only thing it can be is the wiring of the "fixed", or replacement cord, that you are trying to use after the original cord got mangled.

We went through something similar and when I repaired our mangled cord, I could not for the life of me get it to work properly. I could not get the wires to line up properly and caused the issues you are describing. I got so frustrated that I simply bought a new cord from Blue Ox and it solved my issue.

Still to this day it peeves me that I couldn't get the wiring to line up. It seems so simple and I'm not a stranger to electrical stuff, but I just couldn't. If you are at a campground, ask a neighbor to borrow their cord and see if all works.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #9

Just sent photos and a post to the private message
Old 05-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
For reference, dealing with 2006 Tiffin Phaeton. To clarify, "mangled" means the umbilical cable got pinched so hard it cut thru the outer sheathing and almost all internal wires cut/pulled so exposed & broken copper strands everywhere. Safe to say lots of unintended contacts / shorts. To isolate the problem, I checked the Phaeton fuse box (as helpful posters suggested & all fuses OK. Got a tester, and power / turn / brake signals exiting Phaeton OK. So, RV undamaged. So, something must have burned out in the Equinox. No obvious burned fuses in the Equinox. When Equinox was prepped for towing, is a converter box required? Or some sort of diode(s)? Ideas on what could have failed on the Equinox so it's not mirroring RV when being towed? (All brake lights, turn signals operate properly when driving Equinox un-towed).
Old 05-23-2022, 02:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
For reference, dealing with 2006 Tiffin Phaeton. To clarify, "mangled" means the umbilical cable got pinched so hard it cut thru the outer sheathing and almost all internal wires cut/pulled so exposed & broken copper strands everywhere. Safe to say lots of unintended contacts / shorts. To isolate the problem, I checked the Phaeton fuse box (as helpful posters suggested & all fuses OK. Got a tester, and power / turn / brake signals exiting Phaeton OK. So, RV undamaged. So, something must have burned out in the Equinox. No obvious burned fuses in the Equinox. When Equinox was prepped for towing, is a converter box required? Or some sort of diode(s)? Ideas on what could have failed on the Equinox so it's not mirroring RV when being towed? (All brake lights, turn signals operate properly when driving Equinox un-towed).
I know I must be missing something, but if the umbilical cord is physically damaged why not try replacing it with a new one and see if everything works?

Then of course find out why/how the orginal cord got pinched.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:05 PM   #12

What seems so odd is your problem mimics exactly what i had, the motorhome lights all operated just like normal, The cars lights all operated like normal as long as the cord was not strung and hooked up between the two. Once the cord was plugged in to the MH and the car, the car lost the turnsignals and brake lights when the MH was calling for them to work. Those large yellow fuses in that rear compartment of the motorhome were the link giving the power to the car for those light to operate.

Did you remove those yellow fuses to look at the metal strip inside to ensure they were still good? Use a test light to check power traveling through that fuse? i'm at a loss to figure anything else out to give you a hand.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Does your braking system on your toad still work? I thought I had an issue with my umbilical cable and it turned out to be the control module for my Demco braking system.
dhaselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:20 PM   #14

If the Equinox has a combination brake/turn signal bulb, a converter box on the MH wiring is required since the MH as separate brake and turn signal bulbs. It is aftermarket, not OEM on the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, led, toad