Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #1

Today’s plumbing adventure

Saw water leaking out under the wet bay. Looked inside, after removing a panel, and saw water running across the top of the gray tank from the passenger side.
OK, removed a panel over there to find the 1 1/4” semi flexible gray drain line kinked and split with water coming out as the washing machine drained. Looking closer, this line goes straight towards the side of the coach, into a cable tray, into the big slide to drain the galley sink. Problem is every time the slide is opened/closed it bends the hose to the point of kinking and ultimate failure.
Anyone been there done that…. And how did you remedy it??

Tiffin suggested splicing some automotive radiator hose in line, as it is more flexible.
A bit of an issue reaching in to make the connections…..
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2022, 12:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BUY SPARES AND REPLACE ANNUALLY? Plumbing in a slide requires PREVENTIVE Maintenance.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #3

Well…. One end of the drain line is literally under the fridge, requiring fridge removal to attempt to access… the other end enters the gray tank just behind the wet bay control panel.. requiring removal of that panel with all of its valves and connections….
And what preventative maintenance would you suggest?
Old 07-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACH View Post
Well…. One end of the drain line is literally under the fridge, requiring fridge removal to attempt to access… the other end enters the gray tank just behind the wet bay control panel.. requiring removal of that panel with all of its valves and connections….
And what preventative maintenance would you suggest?
Maybe a longer hose to accommodate the bending ?
"S" shaped ?

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't see your problem but was curious if you could cut that hose in the middle and add couplers. Then maybe you could add a new piece of hose in the middle. That way you won't have to get to both ends.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #6

Was thinking along the same line… afraid couplers was add stiffness when additional flexibility is needed
The S curve would be good if I can reach and make room… Tiffin jammed a lot of stuff together
The hose runs straight across the coach which makes the bending more difficult
Old 07-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I fixed mine by going to a West Marine and bought some of their good quality bilge pump hose. Look the hose over and decide what will work best.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:12 PM   #8

We faced that same problem this summer in our 2014. When the tubing lost it’s flexibility the previous owner put a splice in the first split secured by hose clamps but that just caused the new break to occur further downstream. I found the same tubing at an ACE hardware store labeled as hot tub tubing. When i replaced the drain tubing i made certain that it was able to move freely across the top of the waste tank in an S shape when the slide moved into its stored position.
I was able to access the sink end by removing the outdoor TV. Four screws on the wet bay white plate should allow you to lower the plate without having to remove any of the bulkhead fittings.
We are still trying to get rid of the soapy sink drain smell from the top of the tanks. The leak formed a huge lake up there when the plastic tank top bowed downward. Then it dried. Not sure how to clean it without flooding the adjacent bay.
KLhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #9

Bilge pump hose is a great idea..
My outside TV is forward of the drain line, so no access there
Does your drain line actually lay on the top of the tank?
In my coach it is suspended on two trays above the frame rail

Did you try spraying a deodorizer onto the top of the tank?
The drivers side end of my tank is directly behind the wet bay, so any water drips/runs into the bottom pan and out.
I am using a small broom to push the water off the tank (which is also bowed down to make a lake)
Old 07-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Plumbing adventure

I recently discovered the galley sink won't drain unless the slide is extended. This tells me the hose is kinked when the slide is in! I can hardly wait to tear into everything to fix a problem that shouldn't occur!
KD
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #11

Pool, spa plumbing hose is a good choice. Looks like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-002/303124999
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
On replacing it, can't you use the old electrician trick? Tape the new to the end of the old and pull.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendorado View Post
I recently discovered the galley sink won't drain unless the slide is extended. This tells me the hose is kinked when the slide is in! I can hardly wait to tear into everything to fix a problem that shouldn't occur!
KD
Our galley sink drain hose began to leak . I followed the line and found I could reach it if pulling out the bottom drawer next to the sink. I felt under the hose and could feel the wear damage on the hose from the slide going in and out over a metal object. I was thinking of splice but it would be tuff to get both hands in there . For a temporary fix I used rope putty and tape. Since it not a pressure line , I’m gonna get some foam over the metal object and add more putty to the drain line and tape it with flex seal , then keep an eye on it .. I’ve delt with these hose issues , so my temp fix, may be permanent. If only it was in a place I could get both hands on it .. oh well, floor is dry.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Had a similar problem in an Alpine. Spa hose is just to stiff and the fittings would beak. Pool vacuum hose is very flexible and available in 3 foot lengths or longer. The trick is sealing it. Ordinary silicon won't stick. The fancier marine or windshield adhesives work.

Tags
plumbing, vent