Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #1

TOW vehicle 2016 Cadillac SRX

Does anyone have any suggestions on adding our SRX as our tow vehicle... I understand that you need to run the engine before towing and after 3-4 hrs of driving to keep the transmission lubricated, and keep the cruising speed at or below 65 MPH? We are about to configure our well maintained high mileage (82K) SRX 2016 with a BUE OX/AIR FORCE ONE breaking system. We will be picking up our new 40IP in MS around the middle of March... Any suggestions or thoughts, would be great!
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2021, 12:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig and I would just follow the manual as far as towing goes.
It's very likely the installer will show you what you need to do to set up the SRX.
Many people suggest a quality TPMS that includes enough sensors for the TOAD.

We just drove our DP for the first time and are picking up an older SRX to tow this week. I'm a bit nervouse but will practice in a parking lot after we getted hooked up. Driving the 41' DP wasn't too bad really. It was a bit harder at night when I couldn't really use the mirrors for checking lane positioning. Just another reason to try and be parked well before dark.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLuk View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on adding our SRX as our tow vehicle... I understand that you need to run the engine before towing and after 3-4 hrs of driving to keep the transmission lubricated, and keep the cruising speed at or below 65 MPH? We are about to configure our well maintained high mileage (82K) SRX 2016 with a BUE OX/AIR FORCE ONE breaking system. We will be picking up our new 40IP in MS around the middle of March... Any suggestions or thoughts, would be great!
Have you looked into an M&G braking system? Depending on your model they make two different braking systems. One similar to the one you are getting is substantially less $.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #4

Thanks, I will look into the M&G braking system.. Regarding lubricating the SRX transmission... a neighbor of mine said he runs the SRX engine in the AM and with every rest stop and arrival runs the SRX engine while in tow mode (neutral on the selector switch) for approx 5 minute to lubricate the trans.
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #5

I bought my 2015 SRX in 2015 and bought it becasue it was so easy to tow. I have over 15,000 miles being towed and it now shows about 42,000 on the odometer. I let the motor run for about 5 minutes on the day we are driving the motorhome before shutting off the motor and pushing the small button under the shift boot pulling the gear lever into the neutral positon. We can tow all day, or when we stop for the night I shift the lever back into park, start the motor. Let it run for about 5 minutes maybe a bit more. We tow at speeds of between 62 and 70mph.
Just a few months ago had the trans fluid & filter changed, it looked like new, no signs of any heat issues. but felt at my mileage was time to change. It makes a great towed vehicle.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think the 2016 Cadillac SRX comes with a spare tire. You might want to look into that.

My daughter had a flat with a Cadillac while on a trip and wound up waiting three days in a hotel for a new wheel as it was destroyed when the tire blew out.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Some did and some didn't, it was an option when ordering the car new. I have one. Those that don't, buying from a scrap/salvage/junk yard is the way to go to save money. Getting a complete package will give you not only the spare tire, but the hold downs and jack asm.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow