Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Transfer switch box '13 Phaeton

I have a 2013 36' Phaeton. It is presently parked at my home and I have it in the storage mode, i.e. plugged in (30amp) with no items on inside the motorhome. The past couple of days a loud pounding sound has been coming from the surge power switch box while connect to the external electricl source. When I disconnect the power the noise stops. I took off the cover to the transfer switch to see what could possibly be making that noise. Everything looked connected and saw no visiual damage. I have an appointment with a RV service center to take a look and possibly find what the cause. Has anybody had any the same kind of problems?
captain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

I am pretty well versed with the xfer switch.... Many stories I could tell you

The xfer switch on a Phaeton is usually a couple of relays that send power to your house breaker panel, either from shore power or genset. It sounds as if there is something cycling or trying to turn on, and that is engaging a relay. Might want to check the breakers and turn off what you can live without while storing.
Also make sure genset is not trying to auto start.
Just my Two cents...
Let us know what you find
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Are you sure the problem is not with your shore power?

I don't know how inclined you are to delve into things but the transfer switch can mis-behave if any of the connections inside the box are loose. If you feel confident, unplug the power cable, turn off the inverter, and keep the generator off and open the cover to the transfer switch. Re-tighten all connections and replace the cover. Re-power everything and see if the noise stops. (It really should just thump once when the transfer switch connects).

You don't sound like you have an EMS system which could have answered the first question about your local power source. You might want to consider installing or having a Progressive Industries HW50C installed to monitor your incoming power and give you additional surge protection.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have everything turned off from house batteries and engine batteries. Only power that the RV is getting is from the 30amp electrical plug. That 30amp is only used for the RV.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
How could the genset try to start if the batteries are off? I opened the surge transfer switch box and everthing looked connected and no visual defects noted.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Did you tighten all of the connections? Things might look fine but chances are that one or more of your wire connections are loose or slightly loose.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Transfer switch bad

After checking the external power source that feeds the rv - it checked out okay. I took the rv to an authorized "tiffin" servicecenter and they found the transfer switch was bad. Thanks everyone who gave me suggestions on what to do.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

We had a similar problem with our 2013 Breeze and took it to Red Bay where the transfer switch was replaced. We were told some transfer switch's had bad circuit boards. Glad you had the problem fixed.
Kendracha is offline   Reply With Quote