Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Transmission Leak - New Coach

I have a transmission fluid leak on my new 2022 Phaeton 40IH. As the photo shows, the leak is coming from the area where the motor connects to the transmission (maybe transfer box??? This is a little out of my box..). I got up under the coach and felt the area where the leak is happening. There is threaded opening right there, but NO drain plug.

I called the emergency Tiffin number and the guy said said that it is not unusual for there not to be a plug there and that some coaches have a rubber plug. He said the leak is definitely NOT normal and to have it looked at. I started the coach and allowed the transmission to warm up, and checked the fluid level and it was normal.

It is definitely transmission fluid leaking as it is pink in color. Any insight is greatly appreciated. The tech I spoke with says the coach should be ok to drive as long as the fluid level is correct, but I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton Transmission Leak.png
Views:	36
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	382874  
FabPhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #2

The bellhousing hole is not supposed to be plugged in your application, in other uses of the engine it could be.

Engine oil dripping from the hole would indicate a rear main crankshaft seal leak.
Transmission fluid dripping , indicates either a torque converter issue or transmission input seal leak.
Another possible " pink fluid " leak from the hole is engine anti freeze .

Many times there can be dirt accumulating around the hole as sweating of fluids will cause dirt to stick to the area, but fluid drips are a cause for concern and should be referred to the appropriate shop for repair.
Monitor all fluid levels daily until the leak is repaired.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like it's the transmission seal to the converter. It looks like your MH is covered under warranty?

Are you sure it's transmission fluid, not oil? If it's oil I would think it's the rear main seal.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback!

I will talk with Tiffin tomorrow to see if they think it is safe to drive. I checked oil and transmission fluid levels and both were fine.

Could the cold weather have played a role?? I had not noticed the leak until Friday and temps are dropping (I'm outside of Atlanta so not like the northern blitz that's happening, just around freezing).

Another piece of info is that the dripping was fairly consistent, maybe a drop every 10-15 sec. Once I started the motor, the dripping stopped all together.

I will update as this progresses. Thanks again for the feedback and insight!!
Old 12-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinTiffy View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

I will talk with Tiffin tomorrow to see if they think it is safe to drive. I checked oil and transmission fluid levels and both were fine.

Could the cold weather have played a role?? I had not noticed the leak until Friday and temps are dropping (I'm outside of Atlanta so not like the northern blitz that's happening, just around freezing).

Another piece of info is that the dripping was fairly consistent, maybe a drop every 10-15 sec. Once I started the motor, the dripping stopped all together.

I will update as this progresses. Thanks again for the feedback and insight!!
While things have changed a bit at Tiffin and some of the long time and real experts have retired, they should send a mobile tech to you if it's not recommended that it be driven; especially, if you have a long drive to the nearest Cummins or PowerGlide service center. I would push for that level of support for a 2022 model. Chassis and drive-train warranty is 36 months so you are good but you may need to stand your ground on the mobile tech.

I had an issue earlier this year where my air pressure would not build up. I wouldn't have had brakes and obviously could not release the parking brake. The Tiffin guy (now retired) was able to walk me through a procedure that worked to solve the problem but he was also very willing to send a mobile tech to me.

Sam
Old 12-18-2022, 04:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Excellent advice Sam!! I have some real trepidation about driving the coach with this transmission leak.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If it is quitting when you start it up it's probably the front pump gasket and square cut o-ring that is leaking. After it's been sitting the fluid drains into the pan and over fills the pan . The fluid rises high enough that it can leak out the front pump gasket. When you start it up it pumps the fluid back in to the transmission, mostly the torque converter. That is why it quits leaking when you start it up it quits leaking.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Power-Glide or Freightliner Chassis? Freightliner - call the 800 number and ask where to take it to get serviced. Power-Glide - ask Tiffin where to take it have it serviced. Regardless of the chassis, it needs to go in for service and have the pros evaluate it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
UPDATE

I spent almost 2 hrs on the phone with Tiffin today regarding this leak. Their assessment is that it in NOT transmission fluid but is ENGINE COOLANT. I tend to agree after seeing the bucket I placed under the leak. (Pic attached). That is how much fluid leaked over 48 hrs. The first tech I spoke with said they had seen this happen before.

Tomorrow, I will try to find a mobile tech that knows the Cummins engine to come out and assess the drivability of the coach and make repairs if needed. Tiffin has agreed to comp me for this. Not sure how quickly this can happen but will see. There is a Nextran/Freightliner dealer/service center close to me so will start with them.

Since I'm not sure if I will be able to get a tech out tomorrow, I will probably try to gain access to the engine through the access panel in the rear bathroom, and see if I can find the source of the leak. If anyone knows any tricks to gaining access to the engine, please post and let me know. It looks like I have to remove the vent below the closet and then pick up the access panel on the floor??? I ran out of time today.

The second pic I posted is the coolant level indicator. It had been completely spray painted over so you could not see the glass and coolant level. I scraped off the paint and will check the coolant level tomorrow with the engine warmed up.

I will keep you posed on my progress. THANKS FOR ALL OF THE AWESOME INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS!! Truly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Phaeton Coolant Leak.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	382992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phaeton Coolant Level.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	382993  

Old 12-19-2022, 07:25 PM   #10

I have a 2020 Winnebago Horizon 42 Q with a 450ISL
Bought it April 2020 pre-Covid.
In the winter of 2020-2021 when I got back from Florida in January ( it was cold 10f ) I saw antifreeze slowly drip from my front heater connection. I looked in back and there were 3 connections from the radiator that had a very small drip too. Took to my local Diesel repair man I trust.
He said when it gets cold that’s when loose connections show up. So he checked every single one. Many were about 2- 2 1/2 turns loose.
That’s a Freightliner issue, not the motorhome manufacturer issue.
Freightliner isn’t what it used to be.

Here is my video on YouTube
https://youtu.be/jy-JjiDpnLg

Here are a few photos

Name:	530B8F5B-6042-4A5D-BDED-924EFF888635.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	382997

Name:	DBE6E5CB-BB98-4C2C-97AE-D8C1024B8FC4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	382998

Name:	82FCE56D-BB11-4E4E-B08D-2B6945C1E777.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	382999
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:31 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Cyber! That's really good info. My problem didn't really start until temps outside got cold so is consistent with what your diesel guy said. Your vid is great though my engine access is quite a bit different. I hope to make progress today through the access panel inside the coach. Thanks again for the post, pics and video!
Old 12-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I have a 2020 Winnebago Horizon 42 Q with a 450ISL
Bought it April 2020 pre-Covid.
In the winter of 2020-2021 when I got back from Florida in January ( it was cold 10f ) I saw antifreeze slowly drip from my front heater connection. I looked in back and there were 3 connections from the radiator that had a very small drip too. Took to my local Diesel repair man I trust.
He said when it gets cold that’s when loose connections show up. So he checked every single one. Many were about 2- 2 1/2 turns loose.
That’s a Freightliner issue, not the motorhome manufacturer issue.
Freightliner isn’t what it used to be.

Here is my video on YouTube
https://youtu.be/jy-JjiDpnLg

Here are a few photos

Attachment 382997

Attachment 382998

Attachment 382999

I had the exact same issue with our 2019 Bus. Leaked antifreeze only when engine was cold. I couldn’t find the leak. Cummins found a loose hose clamp within five minutes! Cost a lot of time and fuel but it was important! Piece of mind now.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:42 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Transmission cooler

I also had a coolant leak. Turned out to be a cracked weld on the transmission cooler along with loose clamps. I was losing about half a gallon of antifreeze every year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trans cooler 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	383167  
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
I also had a coolant leak. Turned out to be a cracked weld on the transmission cooler along with loose clamps. I was losing about half a gallon of antifreeze every year.

The transmission cooler leaks were not an uncommon problem said the tech at Red Bay. They repaired our transmission cooler leaking as well. Apparently whoever was manufacturing for Tiffin didn’t know how to weld! Some of my Tiffin friends on this forum has had theirs repaired also.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, transmission