RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
TriMark Lockout 2013 Phaeton

I found information on this on other manufacturers but thought I would relate my problem here. I am getting ready for a trip and was locking my coach with the fob when it made an odd grinding/moaning sound and didn't lock. I opened the door again and it made the same sound but again, no change in lock position. This time however, I could not manually lock or unlock the door. I pulled the inner panel off (thankfully the door was open otherwise).

The actuator appears to have frozen in position and would not move and consequently froze up the lock mechanism. I pulled the unit and could not get any travel. Had I been locked out, even crawling through a window would not have helped as the screen door blocks access to the inner panel screws. I disconnected the actuator and all door lock mechanisms work smoothly.

In searching the internet, I came across an Eaton site that describes the new version of the "Trimark 550-0100 Compact actuator" that it says has a clutch that will allow the key to operate it should the actuator fail.

I have am looking into this with TriMark, but they do leave something to be desired on tech support (although they will send you parts if you figure them out).

Has anyone else dealt with this in their Tiffin? How do you deal with a door that is locked shut? Any thoughts on better replacement options.

I am afraid to rely on this actuator even if I do find a new one unless I know it will allow the key to work for fear of getting trapped.

Appreciate your thoughts.
JD99336 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #2

TriMark Lockout 2013 Phaeton

I don’t have any answers but it is definitely one of my fears. Going to watch this thread for input and ideas. I also belong to a couple of Facebook groups and a “locked out” thread seems to come up every few days. I looked at our 2015 today, the screen door opening appears large enough to remove the lock assembly.

I wish there was an alternative, even if it were more money, just to fix it once and forget about it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have asked TriMark to verify that the new part has a clutch mechanism like the Eaton description says. If it does, that would make me comfortable as then the only quesiton is "did I bring a key" which I always do. However, without the clutch, the thought of crawling in through a window, then figuring out how to get the access off is more than I would want to deal with. One option for me is to create an access point in the cover panel that could be accessed through the screen door. That is an option I am pondering as the panel is a piece of paneling covered in the vinyl fabric, so fairly easy to do. Other than figuring out what to use for a cover.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:47 AM   #4

On our prior coach, we only locked the deadbolt. On our Phaeton the outside is chrome so it limits replacements. I think there is another manufacturer but not sure if they have one that is a direct replacement or if it comes in chrome.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The actuators are relatively inexpensive at $15 each, however with handling and shipping it was $50 for 2 of them or $25 each.

However, dissappointing to me is the response to my question of lockouts:

"Regarding if the power actuator seizes I was told it depends on what the power actuator is hooked up to. If it is attached to the lock cam tied to the lock itself then it may not be able to open the door."

I am going to have to come up with a method to access the panel with the door locked closed or will never use the power locks again.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #6

Would love to see some photos of your repair, etc. for future reference.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #7

...Wow. Kinda glad that I don't have power locks on my Diplomat, despite the fact that it also uses (probably the same type) of Trimark locks.

I don't use the handle lock at all anyway, I disassembled the original deadbolt and figured out a way to utilize the standard-sized hole and the longer rod with a Schlage keyless entry deadbolt system.

Only flaw I've found.... I somehow managed to misplace the backup keys for it. Oops. At least the battery lasts more than a year!

Tags
phaeton