Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Trip planning questions

Recently purchased 2018 Phaeton and has been several years since RV'd. Planning to go south to Corpus Christi area in few weeks. Have toad all set, but wonder if I should explore route 1st by either car or RV without toad 1st. Am alone and don't have support of extra set of eyes etc. to make the trip. Concerned about finding access to streets & roads and would hate to have to unhitch etc. on dead ends and wrong streets. Any thoughts. Thank you
dakotaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
PKI

Rule #1 - If you can't see a way out, do not enter. Being alone means you will have to GOAL more - Get Out and Look. An RV GPS with your RV dimension data helps, but it only works for known obstructions on public roads. Also, it is easy to see what you want to see. Harder to see all. Trees grow since your last trip. Roads deteriorate and get blocked for repair. Information may be out of date. So challenges do prevail.

Now it's not all bad. Most roads are accessible to a greater degree than we may think they are. Lanes are wider than 8'-6". Trucks often clear the way by knocking off new tree growth. Intelligent folks do design most roads for big vehicles and a lot of other RVers have gone before you.

Planning - should you pre-travel the route was the question. Not sure that I would, but ......... as with many issues, it depends. Spending time reviewing how your travel route is configured, establishing fuel purchase options and developing standard practices that make your solo trips easier and safer make for a very good habit to acquire.

The got you is - not all places are acceptable. You knew that and need to remember that fact. When venturing off of major highways on dirt roads to boondock, it does pay to disconnect and scout out your route. It also makes sense to do this at RV parks. Since in many cases you will disconnect to spot your rig, doing it before you enter the park is a good practice.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #3

PKI, has given you the best advice for sure! However, your challenge in general is going to be the fact that you are solo, so a secondary driver can't go ahead of you in the disconnected toad at any juncture. Not a huge problem for the most part, just "take your time", and be prepared "if" you need to disconnect to scout and reconnect or maybe walk a little back and forth.

Hubby and I have never toad in past 17 years and haven't had any issues with our 37ft A class for what it's worth, and we boondock exclusively for the most part. So hopefully that might give you some peace of mind.

Plan your route, and any towns or smaller areas you might be headed into, pull up google earth/satellite as well to give you pre-warning if pertinent for further investigation when approaching that vicinity.

Above all relax and enjoy your journey.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

I've done a few trips on my own and ran into a few issues like hard to turn around in small parking lots.

Now I try to limit myself to truck stops, walmart, cracker barrel & big box stores.

While I do sometimes have a copilot she does not help much. Advance planning with RV Trip Wizard has served me well.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
That trip should not represent any problems. I-29 from Sioux Fall to Kansas City. Then I-35 to San Antonio. Then I-37 to Corpus Christi. As long as you stay on major highways, or state highways you will be okay. Being you are by yourself don't go wandering around on any county roads. All you should need to concern yourself with is overnight stays and fuel stops. Use the big truck stops and you will have no issues.

Good luck with plans.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

If in doubt, use Google map and use the "little man" to "drive any questionable part of your route. You can scroll along at 75 mph with your mouse.

Very handy for looking at potential fuel stops, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4116...7i13312!8i6656
Old 12-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
If in doubt, use Google map and use the "little man" to "drive any questionable part of your route. You can scroll along at 75 mph with your mouse.

Very handy for looking at potential fuel stops, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4116...7i13312!8i6656

That’s what I do, especially fuel stops. Sometimes you can even check low overhanging trees too.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaboy View Post
Recently purchased 2018 Phaeton and has been several years since RV'd.

Planning to go south to Corpus Christi area in few weeks.

Have toad all set, but wonder if I should explore route 1st by either car or RV without toad 1st.

Am alone and don't have support of extra set of eyes etc. to make the trip.

Concerned about finding access to streets & roads and would hate to have to unhitch etc. on dead ends and wrong streets.

Any thoughts. Thank you
I use Bing Maps and Waze on my phone - https://www.waze.com/apps/

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=fdb12...=2&form=S00027

Both have served me well - BUT - they are not perfect - so PAPER MAPs are needed as a back up, along with some basic navigation skills - Some 20 years ago I did go down a road that required me to unhook and turn around - took 10 minutes .....so not that big a deal - had nothing to do with directions, but everything to do with making an Incorrect Turn.

The only time you may need to use the Toad to be unhooked to check things out should normally just be in the CampGround arrival exploration.

I drive with my DW - those extra Eyes seldom provide additional help, - - so IMHO I think you will be Fine.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:30 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I use a RV GPS and a truckers atlas. The RV GPS lets you set your height, weight and length as parameters and will route you accordingly. The truckers atlas is a double check for restrictions and a paper map to visualize the route.

When booking campgrounds, I always GoogleEarth them so see what it looks like on the ground. This gives clues about any clearance issues as well as the general upkeep of the property.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Good advice from everyone

Welcome back to RVing. One thing I've noted is parks fill up more quickly. Some places require a booking a year in advance. Reservations are a must to assure you can go where you want and KNOW where you're going. I may leave early or late depending on how far I'm going. But I always arrive way before dark.

I always plan my trips (including campgrounds and fuel stops) using Google Maps and Excel. Then transfer to my GPS. I have a Garmin RV-760 from a prior RV that I love, in addition to the dash GPS. I configure my length to include the toad. Note that you can use your overhead TV as the dash GPS screen. I like this option since my eyes are not as good as they once were.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
+1 Garmin RV 760
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #12

Once in Texas, use smartphone to google for Bucees locations--most of these are gi-normous fuel stations (+200 pumps, all with gas/diesel) and NO semis allowed to get in your way. The fuel is almost always the lowest in the area. I use them regularly with a 40QBH and toad, no problems. Usually lots of extra space for parking away from the normal crowd of tourists.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote