Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Trip with our 2020 Open Road 32sa

I have had two brand new motor homes, including our current 2020 Tiffin Open Road 32sa, and a 2012 43 foot Newmar Ventana diesel pusher. We also had a used 2010 Newmar Baystar gasser. We just finished a 49 day trip from Florida to upper Michigan staying at 14 different rv parks and I can't believe it. We did not have one single issue with the motorhome. Not one. Every time we would stop some where I would tell my wife how great the motorhome was performing and then I would knock on wood. I think I did this at every stop. Well it must have worked cause we had no issues with the chassis or the motorhome for the entire 4,000 mile trip. Thank you Ford and Tiffin for a great hassle free trip.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #2

Glad to hear of your successful trip. We don't hear many of these good stories. We have a 2018 32SA and like it and don't worry about having issues. Our only negative feeling is it rides rougher (on rough roads) than we want it to, but we're learning to slow down when it gets bumpy.
Good travels to you,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
I have had two brand new motor homes, including our current 2020 Tiffin Open Road 32sa, and a 2012 43 foot Newmar Ventana diesel pusher. We also had a used 2010 Newmar Baystar gasser. We just finished a 49 day trip from Florida to upper Michigan staying at 14 different rv parks and I can't believe it. We did not have one single issue with the motorhome. Not one. Every time we would stop some where I would tell my wife how great the motorhome was performing and then I would knock on wood. I think I did this at every stop. Well it must have worked cause we had no issues with the chassis or the motorhome for the entire 4,000 mile trip. Thank you Ford and Tiffin for a great hassle free trip.
Thanks for good feedback. We’ve just sold and are on the fence between a 2019 or 2020 gas or diesel.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the trip and the coach.

in 2.5 years of full time in ours we have had a couple of minor problems but nothing major and anything that took us "off the road" for repairs.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for the trip report. It's great to hear the good stories to help balance out the problems.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #6

I highly recommend not doing with the diesel if you’re willing to take the gas, the fuel economy on the new v8 vs the diesels is not much. The diesel has its advantage for more towing and better ride. Maintenance and repairs costs are far higher. All the emissions systems have made new diesels into garbage. Unless you plan on deleting them, I would never buy a new diesel unfortunately.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Thank you for the trip report. It's great to hear the good stories to help balance out the problems.

Agree with Lt Dan! We sure do like our ‘16 32SA. Bought it used 3 years ago and no major problems, only the little stuff (front shade motors). I read a lot of complaints about the ride & handling but no complaints here. All stock suspension. Just weigh and adjust tire pressure accordingly.

Happy travels!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Agree with Lt Dan! We sure do like our ‘16 32SA. Bought it used 3 years ago and no major problems, only the little stuff (front shade motors). I read a lot of complaints about the ride & handling but no complaints here. All stock suspension. Just weigh and adjust tire pressure accordingly.

Happy travels!
I'm very happy that you do not have any complaints with ride comfort.
I wish I could have a comfortable ride, but weighing and adjusting tire pressure does not provide that on my coach. Sure, if my pressure is very high, 90 - 100 lbs. it would be a rougher ride and not handle very well either. I can run 70 lbs. pressure and it only helps the ride a very little bit.
We probably have similar weights; will you tell me what tire pressures you normally run? The Michelin charts says I can run 70 lbs. and be good, and I usually run a little over that.
Thanks,
Old 08-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We drove our motorhome from Memphis to Titusville FL and the handling coming across 10 with the wind was not pleasant. When I got home I took the motorhome to our local repair shop and he added a Safety Steer and a rear sway bar. He said there are two other things we can do if you still don't like how it handles. Well, these two changes made a big difference so the motorhome handles great now. Still have to fight it a little with the cross winds but nothing like it was before the modifications.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
We probably have similar weights; will you tell me what tire pressures you normally run?
I run 88psi in all tires. I could go lower according to the Michelin chart but am comfortable there. Also always towing my Nissan truck. I am considering Safe-T-Steer for blowout safety. Glad you have good results with the mods you’ve made.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #11

Chuck & Pam, the Safe-T-Steer is good. Provides a good comfort feeling of safety and seems to make it steer better, takes some slack out it feels like.
Thanks,
Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I run with 90 lbs. in both front and back tires. Haven't had it weighed but this seems to work good so far.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #13

We have had good luck with running 100 or sometimes a few pounds less all around on our 2015 32SA & it handles well. We slow down if the road is too rough.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Another yes for Safe-T-Plus. Also ran at 91 psi all around worked for us. Moving on to another rig now but the 32SA was good to us.
RichdlP is offline   Reply With Quote